Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
Harleyworkin#78

Angry Door Latch on 2020 34TSB Cougar

We have had problems with the door latch on our 34TSB 2020 Cougar since we bought it. Very hard to get in door. We were gone away for a few days and upon arrival back at home where RV is parked cannot even get into it. We had only locked bottom latch when we left for out of state. It will not open after unlocking it. The top latch pops out but door will not open. It had rained a lot while we were away. Has anyone else had problems with their door latch?
Harleyworkin#78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
DaveAlb

I am having similar problems on my 2021 22rbs. Only using the deadbolt now. Don’t know if this is related to the friction hinge or not. I really have to push on the door firmly to get it to latch. Upper latch cannot be counted on right now.
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like the stricker plate needs adjusting. Try some dry lube first, either silicon spray, graphite or bees wax. An old hach for seeing what direction to adjust the stricker plate is to get a tube of lipstick (color of your choice) and thinly coat the strick plate. Close the door, operate the lock then open the door and the lipstick will transfer to the door lock. Wipe it off, adjust the strick plate and repeate until it's centered and working properly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
DaveAlb

I’ll give that a try…thanks!👍
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
bobbecky

I have found, and especially if the grandkids have been in and out, that they seem to hang on the screen door which causes it to sag a bit. That sagging causes the screen door latch mechanism to get out of adjustment which allows the latch to stick out even when the door is closed, and that hangs up on the striker. When this happens, and I am able to get the door open, I just lift up on the screen door when it is open, and this brings the latch on the screen door back into adjustment. You might also check all the screws on the hinges, as they will loosen and cause adjustment issues too. A couple years ago, I finally Pop Riveted in place of the screws that kept coming loose, and now, rarely have any door problems.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I have found, and especially if the grandkids have been in and out, that they seem to hang on the screen door which causes it to sag a bit. That sagging causes the screen door latch mechanism to get out of adjustment which allows the latch to stick out even when the door is closed, and that hangs up on the striker. When this happens, and I am able to get the door open, I just lift up on the screen door when it is open, and this brings the latch on the screen door back into adjustment. You might also check all the screws on the hinges, as they will loosen and cause adjustment issues too. A couple years ago, I finally Pop Riveted in place of the screws that kept coming loose, and now, rarely have any door problems.

This is a good point. I've had a door "stick" simply because it's latched to the screen and the screen was out of whack. You might be sure and check that too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
LivelySkies

Try pushing in on the door and while pushing in pull the latch. This is the way ours works.
LivelySkies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar