Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
inteus

Took Cougar 22RBSWE in for Broken Awning Strut

On my last trip out, I noticed that the bottom plastic connector on the rear awning strut had snapped off of the awning. I called to get this replaced on my extended warranty. It took 3 weeks to get my trailer into the shop. I'm also getting the yearly maintenance package done (wheel bearings, brakes checked, lights checked, LP lines checked, seals/roof/slide/doors/windows checked, etc).

The thing that bothers me, is that they aren't even going to "diagnose" my problem for a few more days and that getting the part and getting it installed may take 4-8 weeks. I'm wondering if I should have bit the bullet and just ordered a new strut myself and install it myself. I'm not that mechanically inclined, hence getting the yearly maintenance package.

Do all RV/Trailer repair places take this long with diagnosis and repair? The last time I brought my trailer in was for a few minor warranty repairs and a solar panel installation. That took almost 2 months in the shop.

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant. I've only had a trailer since January 2020, and I'm just wondering if this shop is taking its sweet time.

I also have a trip I'm leaving on on July 31, so I might have to pick up the trailer before the strut repair is done and bring it back after.
inteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depending on how busy any given shop/dealership is it can take a while. If it’s a warranty issue the shop has to submit a claim with photos, wait for approval and then order parts. I doubt they are dragging their feet because your unit is taking up space that another one could occupy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
inteus

Thanks, I'm just pretty new to this and wanted to make sure.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteus View Post
On my last trip out, I noticed that the bottom plastic connector on the rear awning strut had snapped off of the awning. I called to get this replaced on my extended warranty. It took 3 weeks to get my trailer into the shop. I'm also getting the yearly maintenance package done (wheel bearings, brakes checked, lights checked, LP lines checked, seals/roof/slide/doors/windows checked, etc).

The thing that bothers me, is that they aren't even going to "diagnose" my problem for a few more days and that getting the part and getting it installed may take 4-8 weeks. I'm wondering if I should have bit the bullet and just ordered a new strut myself and install it myself. I'm not that mechanically inclined, hence getting the yearly maintenance package.

Do all RV/Trailer repair places take this long with diagnosis and repair? The last time I brought my trailer in was for a few minor warranty repairs and a solar panel installation. That took almost 2 months in the shop.

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant. I've only had a trailer since January 2020, and I'm just wondering if this shop is taking its sweet time.

I also have a trip I'm leaving on on July 31, so I might have to pick up the trailer before the strut repair is done and bring it back after.
I would ask them to do the yearly check while I wait …even if it takes a few hours and schedule it when they can do it first thing in morning if possible

While it’s there have them look at and order the part and take it back home with you. Don’t use the rear awning till the part comes in…then schedule the same way that you will wait for repair on a scheduled day or if they can just give you the part when it comes in and you can install yourself or get a mechanical minded friend to help
Old 07-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

RV ownership is a "dance" between what they "should/will/can do" and what you need/will do.

In the current wacked out world the services you ask/require could be easy or nigh unto impossible depending on the task. The "dance" is figuring out how to navigate warranties, waits etc. vs costs, timelines and your ability to get it done without all that. For each person that equation is different.

The timelines you quoted for access to the facility don't seem to out of line, what you need to do is understand the further implications if things don't happen in an expeditious manner and what your plan is with them to maximize the use of your trailer. They will tell you one thing; YOU set expectations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:04 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Timeline is "typical". From your description on your extended warranty be prepared for a big bill if the policy only includes "checking" as described. If it's an "inspect and repair" policy then you likely will only have to shell out the deductable but it could add time to the process as they would have submit a claim and get approval before proceeding. Those "extended warrantees " are basically insurance policies.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:39 AM   #7
JDDilly

Unless it is absolutely necessary, I never leave my rig at the dealership. I always wait, take it home and schedule a follow up appointment if needed,

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The sooner you face the "reality" that most RV service centers that are located in an RV sales center are "primarily there to make money for the dealership" the better off you'll be.

The "hard, bitter facts" are that the service center charges a customer a specific rate (usually the shop hourly labor rate) that is significantly more money than the "factory warranty reimbursement labor rate" or the "extended warranty flat rate" for repairs...

So, if you're taking your trailer in for warranty repairs, the service center won't make as much money as they will from a "paying customer"....

Now, when "profit is king" which would YOU work on first ?????

That said, if you can find a RV repair center or an RV repair technician that is NOT associated with an RV sales center, use them. They don't make money based on getting new trailers ready for pickup, so their sole source of income is "fixing trailers" not "servicing the sales force agenda" and you'll get much better, faster repair for your trailer.....

Bottom line for most RV service centers: The customer concerns come AFTER the profit margin is met.

There are "exceptions to the rule" but the trick is finding one that is more concerned with fixing your trailer than they are in how much money they make.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
inteus

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I spoke with the service center this morning and the warranty work was already approved. They're replacing the whole awning arm and not just the strut. Also, no deductible, which is always nice! They'll let me know when they have the shipping information for it. If it won't be ready until super close to my vacation date, I'll pick my trailer up and make an appointment for install after I'm back from vacation.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #10
inteus

I got my trailer back Friday afternoon. They replaced the whole awning arm instead of just the strut. The first arm they sent was the wrong arm, so they had to send a second arm. The new strut has a metal piece attached to the arm instead of plastic.

Tags
awning, cougar