Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackty View Post
I'll tell you how it happens, because it happened to my company. Delivery truck was sent out to pump out an old set of 1000 gal. tanks that were sitting at a vacant resort property that we serviced. Resort was closed for years, but was very popular for a long time. With alot of propane being used through the tanks over the years, the oil builds up and settles at the bottom of the tank. Since propane vaporizes and you use the vapor from the top of the tank, the oils do not leave. Now what happens when you pump the tank into a delivery truck, through the bottom of the tank liquid withdrawl valve, is ALL of the oil goes right in the truck. Instead of pumping the truck into the storage tank at our shop, the driver went from the resort to the rv dealer and made a delivery to their pump station. Pump stations deliver to your tank, you guessed it, from the bottom of their tank. If you get the oil on your clothes, do not go in your house. Throw them in the garbage...Jim

Ok, I am going pass the oil in the propane tanks I just bought, but if you have it on your clothes get rid of them? Does it ignite that easily?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #22
SAABDOCTOR

now that makes sence thanks. plus azlee the oil is not like car oil it is a contaminant and you donot want that going through your washer and dryer according to my propane supllier. and hes has heard of the situation descrbed above! they have one truck set for pump out old storage tanks so this does not happen. they are a good company.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
azlee56

ohhhh, all I could think of what a big ka-boom in your house. This is interesting to know however. Thanks once again.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackty View Post
Since propane vaporizes and you use the vapor from the top of the tank, the oils do not leave.
I don't get it. Your saying the oil doesn't leave but then your saying the oils do leave?
As I said back at the very beginning of the OP it's the vapor that we use and the oil would not vaporize. As I also said the only way I could see oil getting in the line is if the tank were overfilled. The dealer may have got oil in the tank exactly how you suggest but as I see it the only way oil could get in the lines is if the tank were overfilled.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
geo

The residual oil would probably contain a high concentration of methanethiol (methane mercaptan) and/or ethanethiol (ethane mercaptan). These two compounds are the "smell" in propane and natural gas (methane). They are acidic and are injected into the propane for your safety. Propane and methane are basically odorless (or odourless) gases.

I would dare say, if you got this lovely oil on your clothes and came in the house, you would be as welcomed as Rover would be after tangling with a polecat, "woods pussy", otherwise known as SKUNK! (A skunk's scent is light mercaptans.) Anything that contacted this oil would bear that fragrant odor for a long, long time.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
blackty

The oil does not vaporize. Never said it did. The oil is removed from the tank when it is emptied from the liquid valve on the tank, not the vapor valve on the top. Whether you have a dedicated truck to do pump-outs or not is irrelevent(sp). As soon as you empty the truck to the 18,000 or 30,000 gal., or whatever size storage tank, the oil goes with it. There are drain wye fittings on the tank piping that traps the oils to be drained as they build up. As far as the oils on your clothes, not explosive, but as described earlier, REALLY stinks. Tried to answer all points...Jim