Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
RBH

2021 Passport pass Thru Slam Locks

We just picked up the new unit. 2021 Passport 2500RKWE. This question is about the slam latches for the pass thru. These came keyed with Bauer 300 series keys. I see that the 300 series has 70 different key patterns. I am happy about that as I expected they would have the generic CH751 or similar. My key is a Bauer 357. My question .... Is Keystone mixing these up so my neighbour has a 324 and the next guy a 360 or is everyone getting a 357? So if you have a newer unit with the Bauer keys would you mind checking the key number and letting me know.

Original plan was to replace these with something from rvlocksandmore with more of a random key but if Keystone is using randoms from Bauer within the 300 range then I am good with what I have.

Thanks!
Britt
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If that key is also the entry door, your good. Only problem now is we all know what key opens your trailer

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
RBH

No it is not. I have the Global front door key. Bauer and Global have similar products and "keyed alike" options but the Passport has Bauer for the baggage and Global for the main door.
Thx
Old 02-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Good!! I can’t say if the Bauer 357 is as common as the CH751, but I’m willing to bet it is. Kind of like R001 key for compartments.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
RBH

It is possible (and likely) that this is one of the 70 key patterns in the Bauer 300 series. My question was what do others have that have the Bauer locks on their pass thrus.
Thx
Old 02-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
It is possible (and likely) that this is one of the 70 key patterns in the Bauer 300 series. My question was what do others have that have the Bauer locks on their pass thrus.
Thx
I don’t know if it really matters because a screwdriver would pop it right open if somebody wanted to get in .. I did put the rv digital lock on my entrance door... but I’m not telling you the code
Or is this a trick for us to tell you our key number???? Lol
Old 02-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I don’t know if it really matters because a screwdriver would pop it right open if somebody wanted to get in .. I did put the rv digital lock on my entrance door... but I’m not telling you the code
Only advantage to that lock is if you use the remote or key pad it will extend the deadbolt. I have pass keys that will open door handles, but they aren’t designed to open deadbolts.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #8
RBH

You guys are funny. No the 357 is not my actual key number. Just thought it would be a cleaner way to ask to get my question across better. I was wrong Let me rephrase.....

Does anyone have the Bauer keys for their pass thru slam locks and if so what is the 2nd or 3rd number on the key. The first number will be a 3. Interested in knowing if Keystone takes advantage of the 70 key patterns available or if they build them all with the same key.
thx
Old 02-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Jasin "hit the nail on the head" with his comment, "All it takes to open your locks is a screwdriver"... If you're concerned with "keeping honest people honest" then locking the compartment doors, even with a CH751 key will "keep them honest". On the other hand, if you're trying to keep crooks out of your RV, you're going to have more damage to repair as well as items to replace with "hard to open" locks.... A crook isn't going to "carefully try to find the correct key" to steal your stuff. He's going to use a screwdriver or crowbar that's sufficiently large enough to break into the compartment and take what he wants...

It's essentially the same with your main entry door on your RV. Many trailers have a window "right next to the door" so any lock can be defeated with a rock found at any campsite. Break that window, reach inside, unlock the door and simply open it. If there's no window next to the door, it's made from a thin sheet of fiberglass, bonded to 1.5" of styrofoam with a thin metal interior sheeting. You can literally "push a hole in the door" with your hand. I'd suggest putting a glove on your hand so you don't get cut pulling your hand out of the hole....

Locks are "feel good security" on any RV. A crook can get in faster than you can lock the door, trying to keep him out.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jasin "hit the nail on the head" with his comment, "All it takes to open your locks is a screwdriver"... If you're concerned with "keeping honest people honest" then locking the compartment doors, even with a CH751 key will "keep them honest". On the other hand, if you're trying to keep crooks out of your RV, you're going to have more damage to repair as well as items to replace with "hard to open" locks.... A crook isn't going to "carefully try to find the correct key" to steal your stuff. He's going to use a screwdriver or crowbar that's sufficiently large enough to break into the compartment and take what he wants...

It's essentially the same with your main entry door on your RV. Many trailers have a window "right next to the door" so any lock can be defeated with a rock found at any campsite. Break that window, reach inside, unlock the door and simply open it. If there's no window next to the door, it's made from a thin sheet of fiberglass, bonded to 1.5" of styrofoam with a thin metal interior sheeting. You can literally "push a hole in the door" with your hand. I'd suggest putting a glove on your hand so you don't get cut pulling your hand out of the hole....

Locks are "feel good security" on any RV. A crook can get in faster than you can lock the door, trying to keep him out.....
The marina where my boats stay for the winter advises everyone to leave the boats unlocked and take all the electronics out because they destroy the doors just to find out nothing is in there over the winter most of the time.. it’s a pretty safe place but one year a bunch of boats were broken into
Old 02-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The marina where my boats stay for the winter advises everyone to leave the boats unlocked and take all the electronics out because they destroy the doors just to find out nothing is in there over the winter most of the time.. it’s a pretty safe place but one year a bunch of boats were broken into
It's the same around here. There are several "indoor storage facilities for boats and RV's" and even more "outside storage lots". Seems that every year, as the "meth generation" runs low on funds, they resort, first to "surveying the easy pickings in outdoor lots" followed in a few weeks by the "more carefully orchestrated" break-ins of the indoor storage facilities. Most of those facilities have security systems, so the "crooks" know their time is limited. So, it's "all hands on deck with prybars and hammers" as they do their "rushed attempt to gather as much high dollar equipment as possible".....

Locked compartments mean damage, even if the trailer is completely empty. And, locked compartments cause $1000 in damage repair costs to protect a $100 TV and a $50 stereo....

Cost/benefit ratio ???? I just can't see it being profitable for the owner, even with "only a $500 insurance deductible".....

But, to each their own.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport