Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
grichard03077

2019 5th hideout pkgs

Do the 2019 5th wheel hideouts come standard with the platinum , hideout luxury and cold mtn package?
grichard03077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
5J's

Mine came with the cold mtn. Pkg.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
travelin texans

Just be aware, that doesn't mean you can use it in the "cold mountains". That probably means it has 1 small heat duct that blows into the underbelly semi covered, huge gaps wherever plumbing/electrical goes thru it, by coroplast (corrugated plastic) which will be good down to maybe 29 degrees & a 20 lb propane bottle that will last maybe 2 days with the furnace running.
Not saying it's a bad rv, but the "cold mountain package" is just a sales gimmick.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
5J's

Yes, you do have to use common sense. The problem is there doesn't seem to be much of that left. Ours does have a heated underbelly and two 30lb propane tanks. The chloroplast seems to be fairly well sealed on mine. We've stayed a handful of nights down into the mid twentys without issues but, again use common sense and prepare for the cold.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
Ajd1956

Cold Mountain Package GIMMICK.

Useless. Pipes still froze. Ran heater all nite, water steady drip in both sinks and cabinets doors open to allow warm air in to pipes. Filled fresh water tanks and couldn’t even use the water pump to get water from that source. In my opinion the cold mountain package is just a bunch of bs that keystone uses for advertisement. I will NEVER recommend Keystone for anything again or use any of their products. Hideout 34 FKDS.
Ajd1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajd1956 View Post
Useless. Pipes still froze. Ran heater all nite, water steady drip in both sinks and cabinets doors open to allow warm air in to pipes. Filled fresh water tanks and couldn’t even use the water pump to get water from that source. In my opinion the cold mountain package is just a bunch of bs that keystone uses for advertisement. I will NEVER recommend Keystone for anything again or use any of their products. Hideout 34 FKDS.
Then don't buy any other brand either, all manufacturers use the same gimmicky names for their RVs & will have the same results.
There's only so much insulation factor in a 2" thick wall, a 4-6" attic or so much insulation they could cram around all the tanks & plumbing, if they chose to do so, underneath to make a rv Artic proof.
Were you running the propane furnace or electric heaters? Typically the furnace has at least one 2" duct running underneath to attempt to keep the lines from freezing, electric heaters won't reach those areas.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajd1956 View Post
You might want to download the 2019 Hideout brochure and read (not just glance over) the description of the "Cold Weather Package"...

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...6pg-lowres.pdf

NOWHERE does it say it's a "4 season trailer". In fact, the way it's described is this:

"WORRY FREE EXTENDED CAMPING SEASON

Interested in camping longer into the fall and getting out earlier in the spring? Hideout offers a Cold Mountain Package (slide models only) that makes this possible. An enclosed underbelly with forced heat helps prevent tanks from freezing when temperatures start to dip. Water lines are given an extra measure of protection by being run in your Hideout's flooring.

Cold Mountain Packaage is not available on LHS or single-axle models."

The Hideout line is the cheapest brand that Keystone manufacturers. It's constructed with wood frame walls, wood floor joists and wood ceiling rafters. Much of the insulation is "minimal 1" spun fiberglass" that's hand laid between the frame uprights (think lots of holes in the protection).

If you're expecting a "4 seasons trailer" on the least priced line, when it's clearly not advertised as a winter trailer (later in the fall and earlier in the spring is NOT winter).... then you're going to be disappointed with the Hideout brand. You might consider upgrading to a "midline trailer brand" (additional $10-20K) and with proper preparation, you'll likely not get as many frozen water lines and may even stay a wee bit warmer. But, even at that price range increase, you're still going to get 2" walls, single pane windows and burn as much propane as it takes to heat your 1500 sqft house, just to keep from shivering....

Bottom line: Hideout trailers aren't designed to be energy efficient or winter camping trailers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Ajd1956

Thanks John. Guess we were misinformed about quality. My daughter is usually really great about research on products and the salesman was pushing the product for FT living. Which is what she wanted for me. I just made a very expensive MISTAKE. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

As stated above be sure you use the propane furnace to blow some heat down below.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
Ajd1956

That is exactly what I have been doing since before the cold weather arrived as stated in OP. But it didn’t help. Pipes froze anyway. Oh and I was dripping faucets and left cabinet doors open too. Just really sorry I made a $40k mistake on limited income for a piece of ....well you said “cheap” quality. Dealer got one over in me. Thanks.

Tags
hideout