Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #41
Jmayse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSisemoreTX View Post
We are looking to trade our 2020 Keystone Laredo 331BH (40' TT) for our 1st 5th Wheel ever.

Upgraded the truck last week and now have a 2017 Ford F350 DRW. Loving the new truck.

Think we are going to trade up to a 2020 Keystone Avalanche 396BH. Does anyone own an Avalanche and what are your overall thoughts on quality of build, etc?

Leaning toward a B&W Companion hitch. Thoughts on hitch? We have 8ft bed.

Go for it, or run the other way, lol? Pics of my trade TT and my new Truck.
I have a 2018 Avalanche 375RD. I love it. I bought it to live in. Added a washer and dryer. Was going to buy the generator, but 8000 more couldn't justify it. What I found a 30 amp generator which allows me to run one air-conditioner and TV, lights for 600.00. You can switch fridge to propane rather than electric.

Problems I have had.

1. Heater switch had to be replace, and working fine ever since
2. Because of hard water, when I replace the water heater anode rod was nearly as thin as tooth pick. Glad I found a you tube on how to replace it. Treated everything with vinegar to break up the hard water deposits. Was really worried about washer being plug with deposits, but I think I caught in time.
3. Recently had a water leak on the left side bought of my "living room" slide out. Water ran across the bottom and to the kitchen floor. I couldn't figure it out where the leak was coming from, then it hit me, maybe I'm not level. Went to the auto leveler and hit the button to level, and I had about an inch and a half difference (wow). So I leveled it. Took care of the water leak, and I discovered a slow leak in the hydraulic system.
4. Random screws would make their way loose. Just had to tighten. Remember water is the enemy to these units!
5. Freezer had frost built up and was getting quite thick. Defrosted and turned down the freeze level.
6. Ceiling fan makes noise but was able to kind of bend back the fan blade so it stays balanced.
7: Bedroom closet doors fell off. They are just stapled in. It was my fault. I didn't lock them down before I traveled with it. Being the carpenter that I am, I was able to use screws and glue to put back in place. They won't come off again I promise you that.

I guess the moral story is do maintenance like any other equipment.

Upgrades or must haves:

1. Get a good surge protector. You never know what your hooking up to on the road.
2. Water pressure regulator. Don't want to blow out your water tubes.
3. Bought a quality memory foam bed. The bed that comes with it is good for awhile but break downs quick.
4. Change out shower head to be able to move it up or down, and better spray.
5. Drain (wire) baskets to collect food particles so that don't go into the grey tank (no flus option for the grey tanks)
6. A minimalist approach to kitchen wear.
7. I took out the factory living room recliners and put in a real recliner for comfort.
8. I pull this monster with a 2018 Ford 250 Diesel. I have an Anderson ball hitch. It has some slack I'm not liking, so I will be contacting Anderson to make sure its install correctly. I pulled this thing from New Mexico to Florida (about 1000 miles). The truck pulled it perfectly. Looking at upgrades to the truck to improve towing.

What I am looking at next:

1. Electronic Key pad for the door.
2. Solar panels (Avalanche comes pre wired).
3. Fan covers for the roof.

Some frustrating things:

1. The manual doesn't have pictures to identify things. I asked Keystone if I could have a copy of the drawings for all the systems but they said no. Protecting there business I guess.
2. They didn't really go over all the systems with me when I bought it. But they may be more on the place I bought it.
3. I wish their warranty lasted longer than a year (all inclusive). But I am looking at Good Sam insurance where I think is a better option since I live in this thing.
4. They do give you all the manuals for all the equipment, but it would be nice if they could provide a maintenance schedule for all the systems.

Well I think that about covers it. Enjoy your next purchase.

PM me anytime if you would like help with anything.
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #42
JSisemoreTX

JMAYSE, thx for detailed review. We won't be living ourselves full time but expect to stay in it about 40-50 nights per year.

We pull with a 2017 F350 Dually. We have done much of what you mention but not all....so some good ideas in there. We do also have a Residential Samsung fridge and the 1000 Watt Inverter but no solar yet....the rig has three 12-volt batteries. We do have a Predator 3500 generator for those occasions when we aren't plugged in.

We are towing with a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch....only have a 3 hr drive from San Antonio to Houston on it so far.

Just planned a 8 day Spring Break Trip...we will do a loop from Houston thru El Paso and to Rio Verde Arizona.....Catalina State Park (AZ), Tombstone, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, and Big Bend National Park on the way back to TX. A trip we are doing with friends that own a Class A.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
396bh, avalanche, keystone