Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
7Iron

Spare tire relocation

Any one have insights wrt moving spare from forward compartment to the rear underbelly.

Thinking about installing a spare tire carrier winch (from e trailer)

I would really like the space in fwd. comp for a Honda EU2200i
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
Mopar madman

I used the bal hide a spare. Worked good for me. Just make sure you have the clearance underneath and order the correct unit for your frame style. I installed easily in about an hour and a half or so. Good luck!
Mopar madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I also installed the BAL underbed spare tire carrier. It's an easy installation (just make sure you have clearance on the inside of the frame rails and won't hit a water tank with one of the screws..... You can install it anywhere under your trailer where you have sufficient "open space" to allow for the clearance needed for the tire.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Same with me. Installed BAL Hide a spare in addition to my factory under mount. I carry two spares. It’s not unusual out west to have a couple hundred miles between major towns and I don’t like the idea of not having a spare after changing a flat. Did that once in a Sunday and had 180 miles before I hit a major city.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
ewbldavis

I'll add - I plan to get the BAL Hide-a-Spare.

I did already get a hitch-mounted carrier - freed up tons of space getting spare out of front compartment. I didn't discover the BAL unit until right after purchase, so for now spare will be in rear hitch.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
travelin texans

You'll need to install it close behind the axles rather than further back to keep from dragging it going into driveways or the speed bumps most rv parks have.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
7Iron

Which BAL

Thanks to everyone...this forum is awesome

There are at least 2 different configurations of a BAL spare tire holder:

A. A “Hide A Spare” where the tire sets on two parallel tubes
B. “Retract A Spare” where a cable and crank are utilized (winch)

Which one did y’all install , I am leaning heavily towards the winch type, but it has a max of of 72 inch frame to frame....not sure what my 315RLS frame width is

If I keep the bottom of the Stored spare tire above an imaginary line That runs from where the rear of the rear tire sets on the ground to the most aft lowest point (bottom of my rear hitch tube) of the 5er I will have proper Ground clearance ....yes/no ??
Old 10-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
jim1

Hi 7Iron, we have the same 315RLS and I mounted my BAL hide a spare just aft of the rear landing gear. Its very stable and strong. I think the only issue I've heard of is if you don't maintain some lube for rust control on the latching bolt it may seize up, but other than that it's pretty much idiot prof. It was also an easy install just remember to check behind before drilling. I removed a few of the power nails so I could see and feel for whats behind before drilling. The power nails come out easy using a vice grip and small persuasion device and when your done you can pound them back in or replace with self tapping screws. Good luck!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
bsmith0404

For mine, I installed the telescoping tubes. My OE spare is on the winch type. I put my primary spare on the BAL because the telescoping tubes allow me to bring the spare out from under the RV without having to crawl under it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
For mine, I installed the telescoping tubes. My OE spare is on the winch type. I put my primary spare on the BAL because the telescoping tubes allow me to bring the spare out from under the RV without having to crawl under it.
That's the biggest draw back with the winch system having to crawl under to the middle of the coach to remove or rehang. My last 5er had the winch that I was tempted to swap for tube carrier, fortunately never needed the spare.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
gearhead

We bought the Landmark used. It had a BAL carrier on it. I told the dealer to remove it as I thought it would drag getting in my driveway. Carried the spare in the front storage. After a year I decided to re-install it. It was all bound up and wouldn't telescope. I bought another one. I used the pre-existing holes in my frame. Instead of the factory hardware I used stainless 1/4-20 bolts and SS nylock nuts.
I have had one flat while driving. I was 17 yrs old and speed checking my Moms 1965 Impala 327. Had a blowout at 70mph with no issues.
Of course, there we were in August coming home from Durango, between Farmington NM and Bernalillo NM, an explosion. Blowout on the curb side. Called Good Sam. By the time they got there all they had to do was mount the spare.
Anyway, the gist of this is if you have a 14, 15 or 16 inch spare it's probably no issue. But if it's a 17.5" steel cased LR H on a solid steel wheel I would get the BAL with the winch.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
7Iron

Underbelly Safe Zone

I think as long as I keep the bottom of the tubes or tire above the blue line , I should not have any bottoming out problems.

My BIL is in the marine supply business and he gave me a boat hook, and at the time I did not think that it would ever be used much. I stuck it in the basement and now it is used just about every trip and has become one of my favorite basement tools.

I would use it to pull the spare to the side.

This whole exchange may be mute:

I have only found one BAL spare tire carrier and it is the retract (winch), all sources where I tried to get price and availability showed "out of stock" or shipping cost of 220++

I assume this is another COVID injury ??---I emailed BAL to get status.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Safe Zone.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	30417  
Old 10-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
I think as long as I keep the bottom of the tubes or tire above the blue line , I should not have any bottoming out problems.

My BIL is in the marine supply business and he gave me a boat hook, and at the time I did not think that it would ever be used much. I stuck it in the basement and now it is used just about every trip and has become one of my favorite basement tools.

I would use it to pull the spare to the side.

This whole exchange may be mute:

I have only found one BAL spare tire carrier and it is the retract (winch), all sources where I tried to get price and availability showed "out of stock" or shipping cost of 220++

I assume this is another COVID injury ??---I emailed BAL to get status.
Your proposed mounting area is the least likely to get impacted but by no means is that a guarantee that it won't. You could still get a tall speed bump, a steep approach/departure angle to a driveway apron, or even a steep short graded railroad crossing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #14
7Iron

You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Your proposed mounting area is the least likely to get impacted but by no means is that a guarantee that it won't. You could still get a tall speed bump, a steep approach/departure angle to a driveway apron, or even a steep short graded railroad crossing.
Flybouy, you are spot on, I should have said : "this will reduce the risk of bottoming out" Here in Mobile we have speed bumps, but I never use those streets with the 5er.