Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Nomad2009

2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL Owners/Towing

I was wondering is anyone towing with this vehicle? And if so any advice or things I should be aware of? I was looking into getting the Transmission Cooler installed has anyone done this or felt that it was needed? The Integrated brake controller is this also needed?

Thanks and Thanks to this forum its been my best source in getting started.

Lee

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Nomad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
bartletts

Did you get the factory tow package? That should have the transmission cooler already. You definitely need one. The Tekonsha P3 is a great brake controller if you don't get the factory one.
I tow with my 2003 Tahoe and I like it a lot. Definitely get the best trans cooler you can, if you don't have a stock one, and invest in a scangauge to read back the transmission temperature from the OBDII port if you don't have a dash transmission temperature gauge. (I think only the 3/4 ton ones come stock that way)
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
E597283

I have a 2007 Yukon Xl Denali and have the standard package. I added a prodigy break control to the factory wiring already installed. The max tow is only 7,900 for the TV. I have a Passport 2910 with dry weight of 5,400 and 7,100 gross which is pretty much at the max

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Nomad2009

Yes, looks like I do have the z82 hd trailering equipment. So I see I have the KNP transmission cooling system, so I assume thats it. I know I have the tow/haul mode but do you think that I have the integrated brake controller, and how would I know if I do have that? If I do not I guess this is a must have. I am pushing to the max as a friend has the same truck and he pulls everything heavy boats trailers and assures that the truck can handle the job of my TT no problem.

tx guys for all your help.

Lee

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
CampDestinations.com

If you have it, the factory integrated brake controller will be on the dash to the lower left side of the steering wheel, near your knee. See the photo located at
http://www.newcar-models.com/wp-cont...ry-510x382.jpg
Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Nomad2009

Hi Camp, I don't have that. Is that a Yukon? Hmmm I guess I may need that, or I guess have too? I spoke to GMC service guy briefly and he mentioned if I had the Tow Haul mode I assumed he was saying then I have that, I better check. GMC specs on my vehicle was confusing what I had. The HD trailering package and the transmission cooler VND was not listed together. It just said trailering equipment.

As a side item: The RV guy was telling me he recommended upgrading my exhaust as well as this increased his mileage (he has yukon as well). Anyone know what he was talking about?

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
handye9

I looked at GMC website. The Integrated Brake Control is listed as a seperate option. It's not part of standard trailering package.

If that is your situation, you will need to purchase and install an aftermarket Brake Controller.
handye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2009 View Post
Hi Camp, I don't have that. Is that a Yukon? Hmmm I guess I may need that, or I guess have too? I spoke to GMC service guy briefly and he mentioned if I had the Tow Haul mode I assumed he was saying then I have that, I better check. GMC specs on my vehicle was confusing what I had. The HD trailering package and the transmission cooler VND was not listed together. It just said trailering equipment.
If you don't see that on your dashboard, then you don't have the integrated controller. You will want to buy something aftermarket such as the Prodigy. I've heard that getting the factory brake controller installed post-purchase is difficult and expensive.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
bartletts

My Prodigy was really easy to install, I just bought the GM wiring harness, plugged it in, mounted the bracket to one of the existing screws on the dash, and it was good to go.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
chuck&gail

If you are towing near max, be sure to check your VEHICLE tongue weight spec. Usually 10% of tow weight. Note you want 13 to 15% of the FULLY LOADED TT weight on the tongue, so the tongue weight spec limits what you can safely tow.

Also once you get TT and TV fully loaded, stop by some scales. Especially watch your TV rear GAWR. Might take some WDH tinkering to keep that under the limit.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
handye9

Quote:
I was wondering is anyone towing with this vehicle? And if so any advice or things I should be aware of? I was looking into getting the Transmission Cooler installed has anyone done this or felt that it was needed? The Integrated brake controller is this also needed?

Thanks and Thanks to this forum its been my best source in getting started.

Lee
Has anyone mentioned anything about a possible shortage of towing capacity?

GMC website shows tow capacity at 8100 lbs for 2 wheel and 8300 lbs for 4 wheel drive.

Keystone shows your trailer has gross weight of 8200 (6727 empty with 1473 cargo) lbs.

If those numbers are corect, you will be very close to max, if not over weight on payload and tow capacity. That won't make a very pleasant towing experience.
handye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
E597283

As mentioned I have same setup....I have the tow package and added the prodigy brake control (wires were already under dash). I agree for a large 6.2lt 6speed the tow capacity is low. I have the Passport 2910BH which weighs in at 5,400 dry w/1,700 cargo. I estimated I am about 500lbs or so under max after family and cargo.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by handye9 View Post
Has anyone mentioned anything about a possible shortage of towing capacity?

GMC website shows tow capacity at 8100 lbs for 2 wheel and 8300 lbs for 4 wheel drive.

Keystone shows your trailer has gross weight of 8200 (6727 empty with 1473 cargo) lbs.

If those numbers are corect, you will be very close to max, if not over weight on payload and tow capacity. That won't make a very pleasant towing experience.
Ya beat me to it. I was trying to find the numbers on the Keystone site but I agree - it looks like he is towing OVER max capacity. And I think the GMC numbers you got were for the regular Yukon, not the XL. The XL has a max capacity of 7.800 for 4WD. That could be an issue on many levels. Besides the obvious safety issues, in the event that there is an accident (knock wood), your insurance company can deny your claim if you are over your noted max capacities. If you have a powertrain issue (transmission failure, etc) GM could also deny warranty coverage because you were towing over capacity. It may be tough to prove, but there is that possibility.

Sorry dude.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
KanTC

Yup - we recently looked at new GMC's [my car doesn't have enough room for grandkids/car seats ].

The Yukon XL Denali has less towing capacity than the Yukon Denali... see brochure (2nd link) for XL ratings.
Yukon Denali / Yukon XL Denali
2WD: 8300 / 7900
4WD: 8100 / 7800
http://www.gmc.com/yukon-denali-luxu...abilities.html

Maximum trailer weight ratings are also listed on Pg 27 of the 2012 brochure
http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/g...n-brochure.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Nomad2009

I realize I was pushing it with this size trailer. I needed the space of the yukon with 6 of us. I went on a few that were towing with the same vehicle some had similar weights and some were towing even more. The salesman (lol) assured me I should be fine as well. I run nearly empty tanks and minimal cargo.

So far it has seemed to be fine. If I ever hit over 60 it does sway a bit and when tractor trailers pass not sure if I need some sway controller? I am cruising safely as possible at fair cruising comfortable speeds under 60. On the highway I was constantly eyeing trailers and did see majority have trucks towing but I did see a brave few with suburbans and yukons towing similar trailers.

I did some test runs before a bigger trip and she was really doing great not much strain at all. So I made a decision to do a trip and all of you rv experts can give me your thoughts on my towing future will post a new thread on that not here will do new thread.

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #16
The Sod Father

Hmmm.... how do I put this in the best positive light - if you are experiencing sway, you are putting yourself and others in harms way. Seriously. Worst case, spend a few hundred bucks and get yourself some friction sway bars to reduce the sway. It will not eliminate it but will make your towing experience a bit safer for you, your family and your fellow motorists.

Keep in mind that, like me, you are towing with an SUV and not a truck. SUV's have squishier (technical term) rear suspensions, a shorter wheel base, etc and are more prone to introducing sway. I towed a 32' Rockwood with an F-150 and an Equalizer hitch and did not have problems. When I moved to my Expedition, I started to experience sway. Same trailer, same hitch. When I moved to my Bullet, the sway was even worse. That's when I switched to a Hensley. I bought a refurbished unit directly from Hensley for around $2k.

Fortunately, when I was towing with my Equalizer and had a swaying trailer, I did not have the same catastrophic experience as LeeMedic - http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3021

Bottom line - fix your sway issues pronto.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
bartletts

Quote:

As a side item: The RV guy was telling me he recommended upgrading my exhaust as well as this increased his mileage (he has yukon as well). Anyone know what he was talking about?
Don't "upgrade" the exhaust, it will just make it louder and it will get annoying on long trips. The PO of my Tahoe put a nice dual straight exit exhaust on it. It sounds great without a trailer, and it's pretty quiet until you romp on it. Problem is, when towing I run my RPM's up at 2300-2500 and the thing gets fairly loud. I'm planning to put it back to stock next time I get under there.