Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
WSCY

Unhappy Furnace ducting

I have a 2018 Hideout 258LHS. We are currently in Arizona where the evening get quite chilly and the furnace runs. I have noticed that the heated air from the furnace and out the ducts is barely moving. Should I feel air being forced out the ducts and not having to hold your hand on the duct to verify that air is moving? Is this normal or should I be able to feel the heated air blowing out with some force?
WSCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone's "test process" is to lay a sheet of toilet paper on the vent, turn on the furnace and "if the paper moves, it's working OK".... You won't find a "balanced, equalized ducting system" in most travel trailers and the further from the furnace you get, the less air flow you'll find at any duct. That's one reason why most "popular floorplans" have the furnace located near the center of the trailer, rather than on either extreme end. It's easier to get "adequate airflow to each end "from the middle" rather than push air the "entire distance from end to end"....

So, depending on your furnace location, the ducting run length, number of duct openings along that run, you may "barely move the paper" or you may "blow it 3' into the air.....

The "key" is the answer to the question: Is the room cold or does it stay relatively warm?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
larryflew

Our alpine has lots going to the bedroom (closest to furnace) and little to the other end. I partially close that bedroom vent and it forces air to the other end. If you do that make sure you don't cut off the airflow. Since you are likely to have dumps into the basement and water connection area your not likely to mess it up by just partially closing one register. All total we have 3inch in basement, a 2inch into water compartment, another 2 that just dumps into basement behind wall, a 4 in Kitchen and 2 larger (double size) registers in living room area that connect directly to the large aluminum duct under the floor.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
WSCY

We have one in the kitchen, one in living area and one in the bedroom. When the furnace is running the air coming out will not move a kleenex. Is that what I should expect??
Old 02-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSCY View Post
We have one in the kitchen, one in living area and one in the bedroom. When the furnace is running the air coming out will not move a kleenex. Is that what I should expect??
Does the room stay relatively warm when compared to the rest of the trailer?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
WSCY

The furnace is pretty much amid-ship. All the registers will not move a piece of kleenex. It is not the nearness to the furnace that is a factor. Based on howe it acts I would compare it to an electric oil heater that works by convection. There is no air pressure at the registers regardless where it is located.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
WSCY

The answer is "is htetre air being forced through the vents which reduce the run time of the furnace and thereby reducing propane usage.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If there's no air at any duct, I'd check the plenum box attached to the furnace. You should see a couple of 3" aluminum "flex ducts" connected and going to wall vents (if you have any) and maybe a 2" flex duct headed under the floor. The bottom of the plenum is probably positioned over a cutout in the floor and connects to the "central under-floor duct" that supplies warm air to the floor vents. There may or may not be an obstruction in that duct run. You can remove a vent cover, use a mirror and flash light to inspect inside the duct. You can also use a cell phone to take photos of what's under the floor.

Essentially, don't expect "house performance" from an RV furnace duct system. Most are "multiple runs of dryer vent ducting" with unfiltered air return and a furnace "efficiency rating" of around 50%.

What I'm suggesting is that you can do some checking to see if you can find an obvious problem, but taking it to the dealer will probably be a frustrating and not profitable venture. If the trailer stays relatively warm, they're probably going to tell you, "That's the best you can get" and give it back to you, hopefully in the same condition without any "new problems or damage"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
furnace