Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Hellbilly13

Plumbing Sealant

What is this grey sealant on the grey tank plumbing. This is at the outlet of the tank where the plumbing connects. It separated here and filled my underbelly with grey water; better than black I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Issue.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	24527  
Hellbilly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

How old is your camper and how long have you had it? The tan colored substance looks like standard plumbers putty to me and totally inappropriate for the connection. Maybe a previous owner did that to "get by" during a trip and thought they would just leave it be?

I'd rip that apart, clean it up and repair it properly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Hellbilly13

Thanks for the reply. I did figure out that it's plumbers putty. Plumbing is the area of home/rv repair that I'm weakest in. I now realize what's going on here.

What you are looking at in the pic is more shoddy work from the factory. At least as far as I can tell because the coroplast still had those nail like fasteners. The pipe broke off inside the grey tank and someone put a bunch of plumbers putty on it and put a hose clamp, but there's only about 1/8 of an inch of pipe for the clamp to grab on to so it popped off.

I've been to Home Depot 4 times trying to come up with a better solution without replacing the grey tank. I think a flexible coupling is going to work, but I got the wrong size and I'm headed back for a 5th to grab a bigger one.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Hellbilly13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How old is your camper and how long have you had it? The tan colored substance looks like standard plumbers putty to me and totally inappropriate for the connection. Maybe a previous owner did that to "get by" during a trip and thought they would just leave it be?

I'd rip that apart, clean it up and repair it properly.
It's the 2018 in my signature and I bought it from a very old couple that only had it for one trip before a medical issue forced them to sell. The man was in his eighties and I doubt he did this repair.

I hope my solution above works and is a proper repair?
Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly13 View Post
It's the 2018 in my signature and I bought it from a very old couple that only had it for one trip before a medical issue forced them to sell. The man was in his eighties and I doubt he did this repair.

I hope my solution above works and is a proper repair?
That would be my first choice if you can't get the fittings close enough to properly clean and glue the fittings.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

By looking at the picture as best I can tell the flexible coupling may be the only solution. My concern would be the very short stub on one end you are trying to attach to vs all the shake, rattle and roll the trailer is subjected to rolling down the highway. I'm wondering if using an adhesive on the stub to keep the rubber from sliding off would be warranted? I normally wouldn't think of doing that because the tank spout would be ruined but in this case it already is and your next option is to replace the tank. I think I'd try putting something on there to hold it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Hellbilly13

Thanks for the input. The flexible coupling seems like a pretty good fix for now. I'm frustrated after spending nearly an entire day fixing this, so I'm done for this day.

The spout is definitely ruined already with the broken piece of pipe glued inside. I can revisit later and try to get the broken part bonded back together and then clamping for added strength. I was originally trying to do that, but it was 34 degrees and I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Understand the feeling, and, me and working in 34 degrees no longer fit. Hope you get things going.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The flexible coupling seems like a pretty good fix for now. I'm frustrated after spending nearly an entire day fixing this, so I'm done for this day.

The spout is definitely ruined already with the broken piece of pipe glued inside. I can revisit later and try to get the broken part bonded back together and then clamping for added strength. I was originally trying to do that, but it was 34 degrees and I couldn't take it anymore.
If the tank outlet is intact except for the broken pipe section that's glued inside it, you can use an emery wheel (similar to a drum sander) and clean the pipe out of the outlet. It's certainly not something I'd want to do in 34F weather, but on an "idle weekend next summer" when there's nothing else on the schedule, you might consider removing the flex coupling, sanding the old pipe section out of the outlet and using LOTS of glue/PVC filings and a new section of pipe to insert into the outlet. Let it dry for several days before using the tank.

Like you, plumbing is my "least favorite past-time" so anything I can do to fix it so it will last is one less time I'll have to look at it.....

You might be able to save the gray tank if you can get the pipe sanded out of the outlet and install a new one.... Essentially, that's what you're going to be doing if you replace the tank anyway.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Unless you loosened that band clamp I'm not surprised it came apart and filled your underbelly. It should be at he leading edge of the tank flange. We use Dicor..YES I said Dicor when we do a repair. Clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol for a better seal, goop it on and then tighten the clamp. It doesn't matter as far as I know but I always seem to have plenty of self leveling open and sitting under my tool box.

At least its the gray and NOT THE BLACK tank

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Hellbilly13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

You might be able to save the gray tank if you can get the pipe sanded out of the outlet and install a new one.... Essentially, that's what you're going to be doing if you replace the tank anyway.....
Thanks for the info. I would definitely like to do a better repair in the future when I'm in warmer weather.

For now the coupling is working and there is plenty on both sides for it to connect to, so I'm not too worried about it coming loose. I will check on it after each move though.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
larryflew

Not related to your repair but we have a similar connection that I want to keep an eye on so I cut a window and glued a pc of plexiglass in it so I can check it without having to take things apart.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
Hamlej

Hellbiily13, you might want to take a closer look as to why you have that separation at the tank outlet. I have a post, Grey Tank Leak you night want to read on MOC. I had the exact same issue and used a rubber sleeve to the stop the leak. 2 days later my tank fell out of the trailer.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 Montana 3820FK
2019 Ford F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
johnlewis

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I would definitely like to do a better repair in the future when I'm in warmer weather.

For now the coupling is working and there is plenty on both sides for it to connect to, so I'm not too worried about it coming loose. I will check on it after each move though.
I used flexible couplings on the 2" pipe from the galley tank. Pipe had cracked, because the factory bent the pipe to slope it down, and after about 6 years it cracked on both ends, so I put a flexible rubber coupling on both ends. Solved the problem and haven't had to do anything since - no loosening of the clamps or leaking around the clamps.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #15
Hellbilly13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlej View Post
Hellbiily13, you might want to take a closer look as to why you have that separation at the tank outlet. I have a post, Grey Tank Leak you night want to read on MOC. I had the exact same issue and used a rubber sleeve to the stop the leak. 2 days later my tank fell out of the trailer.
Wow, I'll head over and check that thread out. I think it was just a screw up at the factory and they half *** fixed it. I just towed my rig back home because our house sale fell through and it's getting too cold to live in the trailer. I had some issues winterizing, but I'll get into that on another thread.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
jimbob

Plumbing Repair

I am a long time pluming contractor. Yes it is plumbers putty. My fix, first check to see if both tanks are properly supported. It is difficult to see in the photo, but assuming the tank is supported and won't move, I would put a rubber coupling over both. One maker is "Fernco" and you can get reducing couplings. The ABS coupling looks to be 4", so the outside diameter on that side would probably be 4-1/2". The tank side looks to be 4". So you would need a 4" x 4 1/2" rubber coupling. First make sure you measure the actual outside diameter of both sides to confirm the actual size. I wouldn't use glue at this point, the rubber coupling would be all you need, again if the tank is supported.
Here is a link that shows what I am talking about. You should be able to find one at a good plumbing supply house or go to www.Supplyhouse.com, they have these also.
https://www.fernco.com/products/flex...tock-couplings

But remember....first measure the od on both sides, they are different.
Good Luck.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing