Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Howie

Wireless backup camera help..

I have a 34' Cougar and installed a wireless backup camera as I have an extremely tight spot where I "try" to park when storing. The camera is installed on the ladder near the top and wired to the rear running light for power. I only really want to use it when trying to back in to the parking spot but I get such poor reception with interference it really isn't useful. I tried different antennas and the snap on iron capsules? that are supposed to reduce interference but had no improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a repeater or booster that I could install somewhere in the 5ver that would improve the reception? I really don't want to install a wired camera if possible as it would be very difficult to run the cable in the RV due to the enclosed underbelly, etc. Any suggestions by someone who has solved this problem would really be appreciated!
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
GeekSquadOfUn

Contacting the people you bought it from would be your first call...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 AM   #3
slimchancepistolero

i have a Tadi Bros wireless camera on my Cougar 29RDB, about 33' long + 6' to monitor, it is mounted in the Furrion pre-wired spot .... came off my other 2 campers that all worked well and it is very clear ... Taddi Bros have several different wireless transmitters for different ranges ... i think this one is for up to 70' ... you need to contact your camera selling dealer and check your setups range ... this is what i have .. https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Howie,

In your initial post, you commented that you were reluctant to install a "wired camera system" because you'd have to "open the underbelly to run the wire"...

I installed an RVS wired system in my 2010 Springdale, took it out when we traded and installed it in my 2014 Cougar fifth wheel. I ran the camera connection wire through a cupboard mounted on the rear wall, down to the bottom, along the LP Gas pipe, secured with zip ties to the black iron pipe, then up through the landing gear hole in the front and through the front storage area to the pinbox. All told, I didn't have to open any part of the coroplast and it's been in place for over 9 years without a problem....

Don't be afraid to consider a wired rear view camera, with some "out of the box thinking" you can install it without having to break into the underbelly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
larryflew

Cheaper systems don't have the range needed but putting both the transmitter and receiver off to the side will help. IE our old trailer had the receiver mounted on passenger side rear view mirror and the transmitter on a pc of pipe sticking out the passenger side of the trailer.