Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
fivergeezer

Slide Toppers?

I've been camping in RV's since the 60's. I've had travel Trailers, Class A's, Pick-ups and fiver's. Some had slide-toppers and some didn't. ( actually, they didn't even have slides until my '95 Pace Arrow Vision, Class A) My new Montana 3402-RL has 4 slides but no toppers. The salesman said I didn't need them. I've heard pro's & con's. My only bad experience was on my last fiver. On a rainy day, the main slide leaked a tiny bit of water on one corner. I re-checked the level and found the camper was slightly tilted so the slide leaned inboard. I re-leveled it and it never leaked again. I've heard people say the toppers are just traps for leaves and twigs and birds and wasps build nests under them. Others say they protect from leaves and twigs and prevent leaks. What do you guys think? The rails are already on the coach so I could easily install them if I thought they were a real asset.
fivergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
byrdr1

I had them put on my 5ers 3 slides while I was dealing and wheeling. Also had extra 13.5 front AC installed. I have enjoyed them being on when camped under trees. I do have a problem with the largest slide topper holding water after a rain. Just bring the slide in easy and it dumps the water.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
mhs4771

May depend on where you camp. If always out in the open with no trees, then you can get by, but if you camp in the trees, especially during the Fall, you can be covered with wet leaves and Pine needles. Then it would be up on the roof to remove them before retracting the slides. Had them added as part of the deal on this Montana and factory installed on the new unit that's on order. We wouldn't be without them.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If birds and wasps are building nests under them, that could be a sign that you've been in one place too long. I would recommend them since they do, by in large, keep your slide roof drier and cleaner. Yes, you may have to clean the slide topper off once in a while but that really isn't any different than having to clean off the slide roof. We have had ours for 2-3 years and have not had any problems with it. Go for it!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

What about windy conditions?

People ask, "Why is OK so windy?"

The response is "Because Kansas sucks and Texas blows"...

Badumpbump... haha..

I agree with them in concept... But, right now is very windy season in OK... This weekend we camped next to a couple who had slide toppers. We had 20-25 mph constant winds coming off the lake.... I could hear the flapping of their toppers inside MY camper with the doors shut.

We were close I suppose, but not "KOA close". For those of you that have them.... Have you camped in truly windy conditions (not breezy), does that sound transmit into the camper?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Clanton24v

I just ordered a slide topper for my new trailer. Not for the leaves and twigs but because I live and camp in WA and the weather can turn to rain/hail or snow at any time as it did last week and as we were getting packed up we got lucky and brought the slide out in just before it poured, then hailed. If I can keep the water off the top when it's time to pack up then it will be money well spent in my opinion.
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
raytronx

Camping in west Texas, and glad I have no slide topper, lots of wind, would drive me nuts listening to a slide topper, but In places with alot of pine needles and leaves they would be nice. Some company needs to invent a topper that is optional, use or not in a very easy way.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Ron

I have had toppers on the last 3 trailers and love em. Yes they keep leaves, twigs etc. off and also keeps the slide room cooler from direct sunlight to the slide roof. In wind driven rain there is no chance of rain blowing into the seals with them, especially if trailer isn't quite level. As far as wind flapping the topper that is a little problem. What I have done is throw a cotton rope over the topper and it will keep it from flapping and quiet. Happy Campin...........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
charltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanton24v View Post
I just ordered a slide topper for my new trailer. Not for the leaves and twigs but because I live and camp in WA and the weather can turn to rain/hail or snow at any time as it did last week and as we were getting packed up we got lucky and brought the slide out in just before it poured, then hailed. If I can keep the water off the top when it's time to pack up then it will be money well spent in my opinion.
So true...We always had them, and I just ordered them after a wekend at the Washington coast. Had to clear off both slides in the rain......not fun.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Other ways to keep the slide topper from flapping in the wind include inserting a plastic gallon milk carton at each end with a rope tied around the carton handle so that it can be pulled out. The carton is inserted with a telescopic pole or other long handle.
Others have purchased inflatable wedges that are stuffed in between the topper and the slide roof.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
geo

As Festus2 mentioned the inflatable wedges . . . we have those. Called "The Air Wedge" - kind of a lop-sided pool float. When we do use them during windy conditions, a rope and water filled milk cartons do assist with holding the awning down and the air wedges in place. We have also camped in windy conditions and not utilized the air wedges - in both Oklahoma and north Texas. When we left the Alpine, we would pull the slides in. At night (especially Thanksgiving 2010 in Norman, OK with sustained 40mph wind plus higher gusts), we get the dogs in, get ready for bed, and I pull the slides in. One has to be careful not to step on the slide floor(s) out in the living area. But the bed slide is supported on the floor via casters/wheels. Once pulled in, it is firmly supported by the "wall landing" and the casters.
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
KAB449

If you don't have slide toppers the only way to tell if something is lying on top of the slide is to crawl up there with a broom to remove it if it exists. Not me I'll stay on the ground. All the debris thar doesn't get swept off ends up smashed against the seals. Not a good situation.
2011 F250 Lariat TD Crew 6.5 Box
18K Reese Elite
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Jim_VaBeach

I have four toppers and I noticed that a couple seemed slack, I am wondering if you can increase the tension in them.
Jim_VaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Ron

Hi Jim: If you go to youtube and watch video on replaceing slide topper fabric, basically this is how you can tighten the roller tube. After removing the fabric you can pull out the pins that hold the roller, note be carefull there is alot of tension on the roller, then tighten one revolution then reinstall pins to secure roller and reinstall fabric. Hope this helps. Happy Campin...........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #15
geo

Jim -

I also have a post in the Forum on how I tightened my bedroom slide awning.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
Jim_VaBeach

Thanks Ron & Geo, I will check it out. I also plan on calling my dealer as he just put them on right after I bought the camper last fall.
Jim_VaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote