Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
mcomeaux

Mopeka Propane Level

Has anyone used the Mopeka system to monitor propane bottles for level? Is the system reliable?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I've been using the bluetooth one for 2 years now. Seems to be accurate and very handy as the tanks on our unit is recessed behind a panel with 4 thumb screws and is a bear to pull out as you have to lift it up at an angle and clear the battery to remove. My biggest complaint are the cheap tank feet that fall off if you breath on them. Mopeaka has changed from the rubber tank feet to aluminum but I've read they fall off to. My resolution for that was to use weatherstrip adhesive to glue the feet on. As our tanks are 30# I get them filled not exchanged so a more "permanent" solution worked for me.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
Carrottop

I have been using the system for the entire season this year. The Bluetooth works great and I would agree that the aluminum feet do keep falling off. I simply remove them when going to fill the tank to avoid losing one. One note though is that I have never been able to get the small monitor that comes with it to work, it really does not matter to me as I use my iphone with the app to monitor.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
MattHelm21

I’ve been using the system for about 2 years now. I had to change the batteries once but I have no idea how long the system sat in the RV store before I bought it. I have the one with two sensors and the separate monitor which you can mount remotely and display each tank with the push of a button. My generation monitor does not take into account tanks larger than 20 lbs but the latest generation can be adjusted for 30 or 40 lbs tanks. I have downloaded the app to my cell phone and after pairing it to each sensor it works in conjunction with the monitor panel and it allows you to configure the tank size so the results are accurate.

I got tired of the provided rubber feet falling off the bottom of my tanks so I ordered this:
http://www.tanktire.com

This provides the necessary spacing and doesn’t fall off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D2D1A1E-1608-4329-91EC-87B9297BFD52.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	18511  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Laredo Tugger

I installed this system recently and had to get new sensors and a monitor sent in 2 different orders until I got the system working correctly. I'm getting ready for a long trip and will be able to evaluate the product a little better in a few weeks. Originally mine came with the rubber feet but in one of the orders they sent the aluminum ones. They seem to be a little better but need to be watched when lifting the tanks in and out of the 5er.
Question?
My tanks have 3 holes drilled into the bottom ring welded to the tank. Are these hole sufficient for the sensors to send a signal to the receiver? Haven't tried this yet.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
MattHelm21

Quote:
My tanks have 3 holes drilled into the bottom ring welded to the tank. Are these hole sufficient for the sensors to send a signal to the receiver? Haven't tried this yet.
Thanks
RMc
You won’t need any holes. My trailer is parked in my driveway. I thought I had my sensors mixed up so I decided to move a sensor(mounted to the bottom of a tank) away from the app running on my phone. I had to walk past the house and around the side before it stopped reading the tank. The signal is very strong.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
LCC

Received my tank check sensors today. Installed app, placed sensors, bluetoothed and each indicated that the tank it was reading was empty. Just filled each 30# tank to full. I am thinking that I might need to sand off the paint on the bottom of the LP tanks to get the sensors to function properly? Otherwise I might have received a couple of dysfunctional sensors.
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
busterbrown

I ordered these at the start of the season and they work great to elevate and support each tank. I've been using this system for 2 seasons now. Very accurate and convenient.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #9
WNY Bullet

We have been using ours for around a year now and love the system. I elected to buy the sensors only and monitor them on my phone since I have 30lb tanks. I have recommended it to several friends and they have also stated using it.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I ordered these at the start of the season and they work great to elevate and support each tank. I've been using this system for 2 seasons now. Very accurate and convenient.
Thanks for the link! Was considering the aluminum spacers but read many reports of them being problematic as well. The cost of the halo is less and certainly should be a major improvement.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
xrated

Good to hear that most everyone like them, and it sounds like they are working well and are accurate. I may wait till next spring, but will probably add them to my list of accessories on the Toy Hauler.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
rsl

Using them with the monitor mounted next to my electronics center and also the android phone app. Works great.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:36 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
This is a good deal for 1/2 the price from Mopeka site. Received mine via USPS in 3 days. Unfortunately I was busy and missed the 2 days of non rain this month to install. Seems like all I do is cut grass and pick mushrooms this year. I don't know how the folks that live in the Pacific Northwest deal with constant rain. I guess they same the same about the Mid Atlantic heat and humidity.

Tags
propane