Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #21
Hblick48

I've had Dish at home for 20 years. Got my first RV in 2003. Added automatic SD dish back then, and it worked great from coast to coast.

Sold that rig and got a Pathway X1 and 211k receiver (added hard drive for DVR) for my Montana. Originally had the dish hard mounted on the roof, but 20% of the time trees or other obstacles block the view. I have engineered a removable mounting system. Dish can be easily removed from the roof (mounted by the ladder) and placed anywhere (with 25' of RG6). I've used this setup from coast to coast, never having any problems receiving the western arc satellites. Use OTA antenna hooked up to 211k so locals show in guide.

Added HDMI splitter and ran HDMI cable to bedroom TV, so we get HD there also. Only issue is both TV's have same channel, but that's not an issue for us. Also had to add a wireless remote extender so we could change channels from BR, 211k uses infrared only remote.

I thought about upgrading to Wally, but I read that it must see all 3 satellites or it won't work. 211 works with 1, 2, or all satellites. There have been times when we could only get 2 satellites because of obstacles.

BTW, Winegard has a great app. It locates both satellites and broadcast towers using virtual reality. You can see the satellites or broadcast towers superimposed on your phone screen.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #22
Frederick

Make sure your Sat, connection installed in the trailer works.. I had a lot of problems when first went sat, Ended up running main cable in window directly to box Dish told me they have lot of problems with RV cable because of the way it is installed. Even seen one rv that had installed a direct thru the side of the RV with a regular wall connections
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
Bnrc73

Fredrick could have seen me. I used a wall outlet in the side of my entertainment slider. Run directly to my Wally. Hard drilling that hole, but it works great. I'm using the Dish Tailgater. It only has one outlet but that's all we need. The only time the bedroom TV is on is when I program it for the OTA. I also have the Dish Hopper system at home, so it's $7 a month and I still get my local channels wherever we are. Love my setup.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncgrandma View Post
We’ve had Dish pay as you go for 4 yrs. when I know we are going camping and want to use the tv I just call Dishes 800 number and pay for 1 month, give them the zip code of the area we will be in. That’s it. At the end of the month I paid for the will send me an email that the next month is due. If I don’t want it for the next month I just don’t pay the bill. No problems.
Such a waste of money even for a two week vacation if you call and cancel at end of your trip, you still have the remaining prepaid amount to use the next time you go out. There is no need to pay for the whole month.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #25
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Such a waste of money even for a two week vacation if you call and cancel at end of your trip, you still have the remaining prepaid amount to use the next time you go out. There is no need to pay for the whole month.

Good luck trying to get dish to do that. I have tried that multiple times. Tried cancel. Tried suspend. Every single time they take the whole months worth. You can not put it on hold. And have it next time.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
SonneSmiles

We have Dish on the Go. Dish at home and then $7 a month for our rv. It's worth it 😎
SonneSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #27
stokesrl

They recently changed it and I ditched them. The support team has always been confused. Now, if you use if for one day in the month, you pay for the whole month.
stokesrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #28
notanlines

Do not believe that one can piecemeal a month of service. It can't be done. You must use the whole month.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote