Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Salty25

Stabilizer

We've been out in our new TT a few times now. Just got back from a road trip actually.

We have the electronic stabilizers. I use Anderson levelers under the wheels to get it level side to side; then the tongue jack for fore and aft. When it's level I put down the stabilizers; on all four corners.

The issue I have is the TT still rocks when I get in and out. I thought the stabilizers would prevent that; unless I'm not putting them down far enough.

Slide goes out until it clicks, comes back in until the motor bogs down. When do you know you have enough pressure on the stabilizers?

Tried calling the dealer but get tired of being on hold on the phone when I'm out camping.

Thanks for any info.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
bill-e

Salty, the electric stabilizers kind of suck. I've installed the SteadyFast and they helped but did not eliminate the movement from the suspension or the lightweight construction of the camper.

SteadyFast install pics

What does work for the steps is a fairly cheap fix, it is a Step Stabilizer. Versions are under 20 bucks and works quite well preventing the movement when you go in/out of the camper.

As far as determining when you have enough pressure, I have bubble levels mounted where I can see them when I'm deploying the stabilizers. I usually deploy the rear first and wait until I hear the motor start to bog down, the camper creak a little bit and the bubble just start to move. Then I do the same with the front. Even using pads under the stabs, you'll need to firm them up again (possibly more than once) as the trailer sits as the ground compresses and loosens them up.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I use the self storing style https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Product...=rv+step+brace. and they really help eliminate movement from the steps when going in or out. As far as stabilizer pressure I run mine down until a they create a little upward lift. You can hear the difference in the way the motor sounds under the increased load. If the ground is soft you may need to put a "touch" Moore pressure later after they compress the ground a little.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Same as the above; lower until you hear the motor start to lug and the trailer give; repeat on other end. I have not had a step stabilizer and was going to order new steps with built in extensions at the bottom, but, I think I'll just order a stabilizer for now and see how that goes. Oh, and don't forget to raise the stabilizers before you start attaching to the vehicle....they aren't THAT strong and it can get a bit costly....don't ask how I know
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Salty25

Thanks for the replies.

I saw the SteadyFast before; but didn't know what it was. I thought it was for a 5er or just for a slide out support.

I'm actually considering getting a MorRyde step for the rear door. We don't use the front door; yet. I don't think we will use the front door until we do a long trip and have to stop for a potty break or something.

I just noticed that starting this thread was my 25th post. I missed the Kodak moment. Haha

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #6
Burf

Another Idea

We have had the same problem. The step stabilizer works great. But I also use the Valtera stabilizer under the back bumper. If the bumper is too high due to unlevel pads, I put it under the back axle. This seems to really help "shake & bake".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valtera.png
Views:	76
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	17803  
Burf is offline   Reply With Quote