Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

Tire pressures!

Last week I had my truck serviced at a Ford Dealership. Among the other things they did, they rotated the tires...but they didn't rotate the pressures.
After the service, I felt that the truck drove "differently" somehow. It seemed to pull a little to the left and on our last tow, it seemed like I had to concentrate a lot to keep the truck in the lane and on the road. Also, it felt as if I had a trailer brake dragging, but all the trailer tire temps and the wheel and hub temps seemed ok.
Yesterday, just out of boredom, I decided to do a tire pressure run with my compresser. The rear tires seemed fairly low and after checking the placard, they should have been 75, but were 60. Then when I checkd the front tires. I had to let a lot of air out of them to get them down to the 60 the placard specifies, then the penny finally dropped!
I fixed up the pressures yesterday and what a difference in today's tow. The truck felt like it was on rails and seemd to haul the trailer effortlessly.

Check your tire pressures. They can make your life easy or difficult...and also save you money on fuel.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Pmedic4

Tire rotation pressure adjustment

Took my truck back to the dealer for oil changes and tire rotation. The dealer gave me five free oil changes so just had them rotate the tires when there. Never once did the dealer change the air pressure in the tires, and the RAM is the like yours, 60 front - 80 rear. Mentioned once and the service manager just blew it off.

Take my truck to a different garage now!
Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Old Mustanger

Part of routine before moving trailer should be to check tire pressures on all tires, trailer and TV, every time.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:19 AM   #4
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Part of routine before moving trailer should be to check tire pressures on all tires, trailer and TV, every time.
^^^
I had a similar issue when our tires were rotated, but I discovered it before heading out on our trip when I checked the pressures. (I also check the lug nuts on the TT as well as tire pressure.) I can't imagine what the service tech was thinking when they rotated the tires.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

As stated by others check pressures and lug nut torque before hitching and especially after anyone has touched it at any garage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The local Ford dealership was recently sold to a large "multibrand conglomerate" when the owner died and his family wanted out of the car business. We never had service issues before, but under the new ownership, the "highly paid mechanics" have been replaced with "lower wage employees" and this kind of situation happens all the time. The problem was described by a member who says he is a diesel mechanic. He said, in another thread, that when things are removed to facilitate maintenance, they seldom are reinstalled properly and become a source for future problems. He blamed it on "hurry, hurry, hurry"....

So, it's not just "one dealer" or "an isolated incident".... Seems things like adjusting tire pressure, retorquing lug nuts, wiping grease off the steering wheel are "long gone indicators of quality maintenance".....

Yep, I'm looking for a new Ford dealership to continue taking care of my truck. The "profit oriented center" we have now doesn't measure up to the "service center" we had before the sign changed.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
...The "profit oriented center" we have now doesn't measure up to the "service center" we had before the sign changed.......
Sad to say that this is the way the world works now. It used to be that the shoe company strove to make the Best shoes. Now, they strive to make the Most Profitable shoes.
If you don't understand the difference, you probably entered the workforce After Reagan/Thatcher/Hawke.
In the early 80’s, the economic world shifted on its axis. It took me a number of years to fully understand how things had changed. Some people still haven't twigged to it and insist on voting for the same people who are driving it, for various reasons, but mostly because the rest of their family have always voted that way.

Sorry for venturing into politics, but there's a saying "What you don't know CAN hurt you".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote