Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 AM   #1
WYRaptor

Hydraulic Sllides Coming Out While Parked

I wanted to post my experience. I searched and even resurrected a couple threads and never saw any definitive fixes. My 2012 5r with two hydraulic slides initially was OK, but the second year in storage the slides would creep out while parked. There were no hydraulic leaks and the system was full. It got so bad last year both slides came all the way out, the storage facility was not happy!

I took it to a local place who bled and refilled the system and told me there were no leaks. Parked again and the slides crept out. I heard of people bracing the slides against the interior walls while retracted with wood or struts. I don't recommend it! The slides are heavy enough that it will pull the interior escutcheons off of the slide walls.

The Lippert manual gives troubleshooting procedures here:

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ce_Manual_.pdf

The pump is electrical, of course, and isolated from the hydraulic system by an electrical valve that is actuated only when the switch is depressed, so I knew the pressure wasn't bleeding through the pump. BTW, if you ever have to operate your hydraulic slides or landing gear manually with a drill, there is a small allen head screw to open the valve to allow fluid to flow to the rams.

I replaced the valve to make sure it wasn't leaking and that wasn't the problem. So the only logical thing left was a bad hydraulic cylinder. The two hydraulic cylinders for the slides are connected in parallel, so if pressure bleeds internally, it will allow both cylinders to lose pressure. The Lippert manual describes disconnecting the extend and retract lines at the cylinder one at a time, then pressing the switch to see if fluid flows across the piston seal internally and leaks out the other side. Well, since that requires pulling down the coroplast anyway, I just ordered the 24" kitchen slide cylinder anyway and changed it. The living room slide is 48", so I had a 50/50 shot.

It seems to be staying in now. I'll post updates if anything new since this seems to be a common problem
Old 06-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
Tbos

Let us know how it goes.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote