Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
LandP

Newbie Question for Cougar 29 BHS

Hello all,

My wife and I are seriously looking at a 29 BHS (to buy early next year), and was wondering about the Furrion TV that comes with the unit. Does it run only on 120vac shore power, or does it also run on 12 DC via the house battery (batteries)?

I cannot tell by looking at the Furrion website, because I am not sure what model they are using with the 29 BHS, and the Keystone website is somewhat lacking in detail.

Thank you!!

Lee Foster
LandP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Ductape

shore power only
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
LandP

Thank you Ductape!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
wobly

We just got our Cougar 29BHS and it is a Summit brand TV. Whether Summit is owned by Furrion, I don't know. But, I can say that in searching for info, there is a Summit TV in Frisco, CO that put a disclaimer that "We are not Summit brand TV and have nothing to do with supporting them".
It is actually a pretty good TV, so far. But, it does only operate on shore power.

I bought a soundbar that could take the signal from the HDMI ACR port and make the sound a little better. I bought the LG from Sam's Club that was able to do that. When the factory hooked up the HDMI cable from the Furrion sound system, they plugged the HDMI cable into the HDMI MHL port. For most people, that isn't a problem. But, for me, I want to be able to plug my phone in and watch movies. So, I moved that cable to the HDMI 2 port and it works fine.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
ADQ K9

Our Furrion is 120V but we bought a 75W inverter to plug into the 12 V outlet by the antenna booster and another for our Sony Blu Ray plugged into the charging center when on battery power. I have 2 group 24 batteries no room for 2 Group 27 on the tounge. I was more dissapointed by the fact that there was no Blu Ray player from the factory for 2017 and there is no HDMI run to the TV from the entertainment system just the Red Yellow White RCA cable . I also have a generator but there are times we want to watch a movie during quiet hours or I want to get the news early in the AM
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

ADQ K9,

You commented above about having GP24 batteries because GP27 won't fit the space.... When it comes time to replace batteries, 6 volt batteries have the same "footprint" as GP24 batteries. You can replace the current ones with GC6 or EGC6 and significantly increase your available battery power.

While this may not be something you'd consider, I wanted to be sure you're aware of the potential for such an upgrade.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
ADQ K9

John,
I am aware of the upgrade, I know that the six volts need to be wired in series. Are there any other modifications I need to do, or just drop the 2 6 volts in when it comes time?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Nope. If you have space for two GP24 batteries on the battery tray right now, all you have to do is replace them with two GC6 or EGC6 golf cart batteries, purchase a 18" battery cable. Connect your existing trailer pos/neg battery cables to the outside pos/neg battery terminals and use the 18" cable to connect the two "inside terminals to each other. That will connect the two batteries "in series" and give you 12 VDC. You can buy GC6 batteries at Sam's for $80 each and they are competitively priced at COSTCO as well as many other places. They are usually more expensive at Golf Cart stores, so keep that in mind. If you want them in boxes, those are available as well, and cost about $10 each if you shop around or $15.95 at WalMart "off the shelf". GC6 batteries will fit in any GP24 box, but the batteries are taller and most of the lids won't snap closed. There are special "tall" GP24 boxes designed to accommodate GC6 batteries.

The only "disadvantage" would be if your tongue weight is currently on the "heavy side" and you're pushing your tow vehicle maximum hitch weight. You'll be adding about 100 pounds more than a single GP24 in weight.

We have 2 GC6 batteries on our fifth wheel and we dry camp with LED lights for 3 or 4 days before we need to recharge. We usually watch about 30-45 minutes of TV daily (news/weather). We carry a 2000 watt inverter generator and use it about every 3rd or 4th day for 3-4 hours to recharge batteries. Our current batteries are 5 years old and still going strong.

For us, the limiting factor is no longer battery power but gray tank capacity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
LandP

This is a really great information! Thank you all.

Tags
cougar, newbie