Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Like Javi, I haven't seen 110 volt lighting in an RV for well over 15 years (unless it was modified by the owner).

One possibility for verifying which was "intended" when it left the factory, would be to look at the wiring in the slide ceiling. Typically (maybe chuckster can verify this if he has access to RVIA standards) all of the 12 volt wiring in travel trailers is single wires that are multistrand, twisted copper wires. All of the 110 volt wiring is ROMEX, solid copper wire.

So, if the wiring in the slide ceiling that supplies power to those "110 VAC lights with old style 60 watt bulbs" is ROMEX, then it may have come from the factory that way. If, however, the wiring in the ceiling is two wires, one orange/white and one white (and they are multistrand individual wires), I'd highly suspect that the original wiring was powered by 12 VDC.

The only exception to the 110 VAC must be ROMEX that I am aware of is the "jumper wiring" that runs from the mobile home connector in the main chassis going to the slide junction box. That is either 12 ga or 14 ga "multistrand" because it bends/flexes with slide movement and ROMEX won't stand up to repeated flexing. I believe the RVIA code requires "multistrand jumpers" for slide AC power.

I can understand why an owner who has his trailer parked on a permanent site would want to remove the 12 VDC fixtures and replace them with 110VAC fixtures to obtain better lighting, but if the trailer is going to be used with battery power, then that renders all lighting in the slide inoperable when "dry camping". If it were mine, the way I camp, I'd want operable lighting when travelling and dry camping, so I'd probably revert to the 12 VDC ceiling lights.

I'd almost bet that the wiring in the slide ceiling is individual, multistrand wires and not ROMEX.

ADDED: Thinking back to 1972 and our JAYCO trailer, we had 110 VAC lighting in the range hood and 12 VDC lighting everywhere else. All of those fixtures used "old style conventional bulbs" but they were 12VDC bulbs and very expensive. I made the mistake of putting one of those 12VDC conventional screwin bulbs in the range hood 110VAC socket and it promptly blew with a loud pop. So, have you verified the power requirement for those "conventional bulbs"??? They may be 12VDC "old style bulbs" that are the same shape and size of today's 110 VAC bulbs. Confusing for sure, but there were (are??) 12 VDC bulbs that look exactly like "standard light bulbs" used in 110 VAC fixtures. Here's one example: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/54...iABEgLcNfD_BwE

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #22
bobbecky

In our rig, in the large curb side slide, there are two different but similar looking light fixtures, one above the sofa and the other above the dining table. One is 120 volts and the other is 12 volts and both are switched on using a button on the fixture. No idea why they didn't just use 12 volt fixtures in both places. Then there is also a sconce on the wall between the sofa and table that is 120 volts, where all the rest of the sconces in the rig are 12 volts.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Thanks for all the expertise... this is my first Keystone RV so folks with a long history are very helpful. I am pretty sure the 110V fixtures (one above the dinette and one above the sofa in the same slide out) are factory. The wire feeding them goes from the rear kitchen located converter and is outdoor 14 ga. Romex. It goes from the converter box I guess (would have to pull it out to be sure) around the back to the side near the underside of the slide. It goes into what appears to be an original junction box. The 12V for the wall fixture follows the same route and is in wire loom from where it comes out next to the junction box. I took off the original wire nuts and refasten the wires with yellow wire nuts and used some electrical tape. The 12V wires originally ran under the junction box and I was afraid of fraying so I wire-tied them to the Romex. Took some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulb.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	14665   Click image for larger version

Name:	110V_lights.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	14666   Click image for larger version

Name:	junction.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	14667  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
In our rig, in the large curb side slide, there are two different but similar looking light fixtures, one above the sofa and the other above the dining table. One is 120 volts and the other is 12 volts and both are switched on using a button on the fixture. No idea why they didn't just use 12 volt fixtures in both places. Then there is also a sconce on the wall between the sofa and table that is 120 volts, where all the rest of the sconces in the rig are 12 volts.
Geesh... that is about as clear as mud! Why would mine have TWO AC fixtures up top and one 12V fixture between the pieces of furniture? I think that Keystone buys parts in some quantity and uses them rather than off some master plan. Anyway; got a 1076 bulb and the middle fixture will be lighted up after lunch! Thanks all
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical