Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
KennyDean

Sanitizing my cougar 25RKS

Hello to all! First of all I am a disabled vet with a Brain injury with that in mind I do need some help. I have had my 2015 fifthwheel 25RKS and have taken it out twice but now I am able to do more traveling . I am leaving for about 20 days in 3 days and have my cougar all cleaned and ready to go. Almost ready!
Question I did de winterized it today BUT, I am lost on how to sanitize the fresh water tanks. I bought the bleach and measuring cup and picture but that's as far as I have got. I do not understand the instructions.
Anyone out there can explain to me how to accomplish this task as I have never done it before. Location of the trailer, step by step please. Also when I use city water does it fill the fresh water tank or not? Thank you!
KennyDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Canonman

First, Thank you for your service. Glad your injury doesn't keep you from enjoying your RV and traveling.
#1. The pressurized city water connection does not fill your fresh water holding tank. The two systems are isolated from one another.
#2. Find the fill port for your fresh water tank. You can fill the fresh tank with your fresh water (white) hose about 1/2 full. (Read your tank water level monitor inside the Cougar) Next, Mix the bleach, with water, into a one-gallon container and pour it into the fresh water holding tank. Fill the fresh water tank almost completely full of potable water. Turn the water pump on, open all hot and cold faucets and run the water until you smell the bleach at each faucet. Close the faucets. Let this sit overnight. Next morning open the fresh water tank drain valve under the trailer and drain the tank. Re-fill and drain again. Refill and turn on the pump and let water run through all faucets until the bleach smell is gone. This is usually enough to get rid of the bleach in the fresh tank but you may want to drain and refill one more time.
Here is short video that might help.

#3. Get out there and have some fun!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0009 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	13655  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
bobbecky

If your rig has an external tank fill port for adding fresh water to your water tank, add the recommended amount of bleach with a funnel to your fresh tank, and then fill with water the rest of the way until it's full. If your rig does not have an external gravity fill port for adding fresh water to your tank, there will be a tank fill valve somewhere on your rig. With that valve, you can add the proper amount of bleach to your empty hose connected to your water spigot on your house or where ever you are getting city water, connect it to your trailer's city water connection, and turn on your water source for city water, and then turn your tank fill valve to the fill position. You should have a vent near your fresh tank location, and when the tank is full, you should have water escaping the vent. Turn the fill valve back to normal. You can then disconnect your hose from your city water supply. Once that is done, turn on your pump, and open various faucets inside your rig until you smell chlorine and turn off the faucet, and do this with each one until all have had chlorine at the faucet. Leave the rig alone for whatever the recommended time is, normally 24 hours. Then, if you can find the fresh tank drain, usually underneath your rig at the fresh tank, and drain the fresh tank. Once that is done, fill the fresh tank with the fill valve like you did when adding the chlorine, until full. Then as before, turn off the city water, and run the pump, opening each faucet until the chlorine smell is gone, and you are ready to go.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar