Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
Quiroule

I have received and installed the Camco 55245 RV 30 AMP PowerGrip Replacement Plug. I must say that I am not impressed.

There is a gap close to 1/8 inch wide between the strain relief clamp and the plug body, which leave a path for the water to get inside the plug. That would probably not be problem when you are plugged to the shore power on a post. But when you have to use an extension cord, as it happens on occasion, the plug is horizontal and water could get inside the plug.

I filled the gap with silicon and hope for the best.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
This is exactly what I was going to recommend, use it on my boat for all connections. Works great.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Nothing wrong with the yellow end if it will fit in the hole in the side of your trailer. It wouldn't on mine and that's why they sell a connector with a short piece of cable for splicing which is what I had to do. there's nothing wrong with a splice done right. The wiring isn't complicated. There are three wires black, white and green and all that's needed is like color to like color. A solid butt connection, some electrical tape and shrink tube fixes it. I used shrink tube on each separate butt connector then wrapped the entire splice with electrical tape then used 2 layers of different length shrink wrap which has glue on the inside for a sealed fit. For those wondering why I didn't just buy another type of end when the yellow wouldn't work instead of splicing. They don't make them anymore or at least that's what I was told by a couple of RV dealer parts stores
I guess someone needs to tell the manufacturer of the end and short cable used to splice that that's all wrong and not an acceptable repair
The manufacturer doesn't need to be informed, you do. The molded plug with a short run of cable is commonly referred to by electricians as a plug with a "whip or tail". They are not intended to be used as a splice connection. The intent is to install into a device or junction box where proper strain relief is provided.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #24
hornet28

flybouy. Read post 18. I was misinformed and I admitted it and changed it out for a Camco mini. Even the mini just barely fits into the cubbyhole
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

I did read post #18. My intent was to inform, if it came across otherwise I apologize. I think the best advice was taking an extension and removing the female end and hardwire it to the campers electrical panel. Then you could purchase a replacement female end and make your current cable into an extension.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #26
hornet28

I already have an extension cord. I doubt that I need another. Even if I'd done the way you just suggested I'd still need a male end. As I said I removed the splice and put on a Camac mini male end.
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power