Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #21
xrated

Re: Power King tires that worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only two brands of ST tires I'd consider are Carlisle and Maxxis. Any others are "off brands" and subject to significant criticism on this and many other forums. Of course, you'll find the occasional poster who will "swear by" most any brand, but the vast majority will "swear at" those same brands, with the exception of Carlisle and Maxxis. In order or preference, most would suggest that Maxxis is the better tire probably because Carlisle had a "not too good" reputation some years ago, mainly in their bias ply ST tire brands. The new Carlisle Radial Trail HD and Radial Trail RH have, for the most part, come as close to Maxxis M8808's reputation as any tire can get. I'd say, from what I've read, that the two, Carlisle and Maxxis are pretty much equal.
Good to know. I had a set of Maxxis tires on another enclosed trailer that I had, but sold the trailer before the tires had more than 4-5K miles. Then, I put them on my present enclosed and they are holding up really well....I just didn't know how well the brand would do on heavier trailers like the Toy Hauler I just bought......which has the Power Kings on it.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
EVMIII

I would just suggest you compare the tires you are considering side by side. I am putting the Sailun 235 80 R16's ST tires on next spring before my long trip. I was able to compare this tire to the Towmaster currently on my trailer and it was like comparing men and boys. I like to save money as much as the next guy, but I also believe that you get what you pay for. I can replace the Towmasters for about $80 a piece, every other reputable tire Maxxis, Carlisle or the Sailun are more than twice that each. Best of luck, safe travels.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #23
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
I would just suggest you compare the tires you are considering side by side. I am putting the Sailun 235 80 R16's ST tires on next spring before my long trip. I was able to compare this tire to the Towmaster currently on my trailer and it was like comparing men and boys. I like to save money as much as the next guy, but I also believe that you get what you pay for. I can replace the Towmasters for about $80 a piece, every other reputable tire Maxxis, Carlisle or the Sailun are more than twice that each. Best of luck, safe travels.
Not sure where you get your prices but I had 5 Carlisle 235/85/R16 LR F mounted balanced and installed for $97 each. The 235/80 in LR E are the same price. My Trailer King OEM tires were nearly new and the dealer bought them for $75 which knocked the cost down even more. The tires were 3 months from the factory so they were fresh as well. OOHHhhh the LR E series max psi is 85# and LR F is 95#.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbill View Post
Buzzcop; close to my age and my life experience mirrors yours regarding tires. I am with you - something is wrong that we should need to spend this much time in discussion of tires. Someone on this board always responds to these issues with: Well, you see-the manufactures have to be competitive. So we must clearly be at a race to the bottom. Doesn't say much for the industry. Rant over.
I get hammered a lot for my views on this subject so now days I pretty much stay out of it until the temptation overcomes me.

The RV trailer manufacturers cannot be held 100% responsible for their tire selections. They MUST follow the guidelines presented to them from NHTSA via the FMVSS standards they must follow.

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S5.3.1 States in part; Tires, the size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

The key word in the paragraph above is appropriate. There are other paragraphs that point out that the minimum for appropriate is a tire that provides the load capacity equal to or greater than the GAWR of each axle.

All of that sets the stage for competition. Competition between tire manufacturer’s to provide tires that meet all GAWR requirements, competition between the trailer manufacturers when seeking the best value from the OEM providers of their tires and competition in the market place to provide a trailer that meets all the standards required by NHTSA at a desirable market value to their consumers.

So, just like everything else in a free market place the buyer must be aware.

Various organizations such as RIVA do research on RV trailer tires at meets around the country. Nearly 50% of all trailers have at least one tire overloaded and almost as many overloaded axles. Under inflation follows along in 2nd place. With statistics like that, trailer tire failure rates are very predictable. On average, a 1 PSI loss of recommended inflation pressure equals a 1.7% loss of tire load capacity for that tire.

p.s. I've been using Towmax tires since 2005 to date. That's a much longer story.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #25
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I get hammered a lot for my views on this subject so now days I pretty much stay out of it until the temptation overcomes me.

The RV trailer manufacturers cannot be held 100% responsible for their tire selections. They MUST follow the guidelines presented to them from NHTSA via the FMVSS standards they must follow.

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S5.3.1 States in part; Tires, the size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

The key word in the paragraph above is appropriate. There are other paragraphs that point out that the minimum for appropriate is a tire that provides the load capacity equal to or greater than the GAWR of each axle.

All of that sets the stage for competition. Competition between tire manufacturer’s to provide tires that meet all GAWR requirements, competition between the trailer manufacturers when seeking the best value from the OEM providers of their tires and competition in the market place to provide a trailer that meets all the standards required by NHTSA at a desirable market value to their consumers.

So, just like everything else in a free market place the buyer must be aware.

Various organizations such as RIVA do research on RV trailer tires at meets around the country. Nearly 50% of all trailers have at least one tire overloaded and almost as many overloaded axles. Under inflation follows along in 2nd place. With statistics like that, trailer tire failure rates are very predictable. On average, a 1 PSI loss of recommended inflation pressure equals a 1.7% loss of tire load capacity for that tire.

p.s. I've been using Tcowmax tires since 2005 to date. That's a much longer story.
...and yet we don't hear much about Maxxis or Carlisle tires failing. I know they are not as widely seen as OEM's, but I doubt the Maxxis and Carlisle owners are better at not overloading or underinflating their tires than the owners (like yourself) who run OEM's. Perhaps a higher level of quality increases the failure margin to a degree?

Parenthetically, I know a guy who swears the best car he ever had was a Yugo. I haven't been convinced that he is correct, nor am I convinced that HF tools are up to par with Snap-on's.

I do appreciate your knowledgable input on this forum, though.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #26
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
...and yet we don't hear much about Maxxis or Carlisle tires failing. ............
Don't most who "upgrade" to Maxxis or Carlisle, take the opportunity to go to a higher load capacity tire? That is my sense reading all the posts. That may be another reason why they are viewed as more reliable.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Don't most who "upgrade" to Maxxis or Carlisle, take the opportunity to go to a higher load capacity tire? That is my sense reading all the posts. That may be another reason why they are viewed as more reliable.
My 235/80R-16 LRE Maxxis are 3420#. Other brands are 3520#. Maxxis tells me they meet industry standard requirements, but they don't say why they are 100# under everyone else.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
The Carlisle Radial Trail HD's; I bought last week are 235/80R/16E 3520 and the Trailer King tire I replaced were also 235/80R/16E 3520...
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The Carlisle Radial Trail HD's; I bought last week are 235/80R/16E 3520 and the Trailer King tire I replaced were also 235/80R/16E 3520...
There are three different maximum load capacities for the ST235/80R16E, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#, all at 80 psi.

Such differences are noted by the TRA and NHTSA addresses the load capacities in FMVSS standards. Basically the correct load capacity is on the tire's sidewall. However, by NHTSA regulations they all default to the lowest load capacity unless the vehicle manufacturer addresses their actual load capacity in documentation to NHTSA and provides that documentation to the vehicle owner. It could involve a brand name recognition and I've never (personally) seen a vehicle manufacturer make such statements.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There are three different maximum load capacities for the ST235/80R16E, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#, all at 80 psi.

Such differences are noted by the TRA and NHTSA addresses the load capacities in FMVSS standards. Basically the correct load capacity is on the tire's sidewall. However, by NHTSA regulations they all default to the lowest load capacity unless the vehicle manufacturer addresses their actual load capacity in documentation to NHTSA and provides that documentation to the vehicle owner. It could involve a brand name recognition and I've never (personally) seen a vehicle manufacturer make such statements.
Well since I'm not running four tires on each axle, I can eliminate one of those ratings... and since 4 multiplied by any of the three numbers is well in excess of any load conceivable with my trailer (yes I've weighed it (more than once) ) ... I'll file that info in the I just don't need to know it department... But thanks anyway...
Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #31
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well since I'm not running four tires on each axle, I can eliminate one of those ratingsv... and since 4 multiplied by any of the three numbers is well in excess of any load conceivable with my trailer (yes I've weighed it (more than once) ) ... I'll file that info in the I just don't need to know it department... But thanks anyway...
Yep. Maxxis' 3420 x 4 works for me.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #32
Ken / Claudia

I am following up from post #4 by JRTJH.
Today I had replaced the factory tires dated 0211. 225/75/15 8ply. I can only make a guess that I had around 5,000 miles on them. 2 times I did brush the tries against curbing once on each side during that time. No tire failures. The shop and I looked inside the tires and did not find any delamb or bubbles. I also replaced the spare that was never used.
New tires Carlisle HD 225/75/15 10 ply. Made in China. Date code 0916. Speed rated at 81mph and wt. rating 2830 at 80 psi. Balanced and metal valve stems.
At 4 more bucks from 8 to 10 ply per tire. I think the extra rating is a good thing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #33
Desert185

You did good.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #34
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Today I had replaced the factory tires dated 0211. 225/75/15 8ply. I can only make a guess that I had around 5,000 miles on them. 2 times I did brush the tries against curbing once on each side during that time. No tire failures. The shop and I looked inside the tires and did not find any delamb or bubbles. I also replaced the spare that was never used.
New tires Carlisle HD 225/75/15 10 ply. Made in China. Date code 0916. Speed rated at 81mph and wt. rating 2830 at 80 psi. Balanced and metal valve stems.
At 4 more bucks from 8 to 10 ply per tire. I think the extra rating is a good thing.
I hope you are as happy with Carlisle as I have been. Made in China BUT:
"During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says."

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...rying-capacity

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully the tread separation that myself and a few others have experienced isn't as prevalent as I'd feared. Of course, if anyone does have the "tread bubbles" that's one to many as far as they are concerned... LOL Me included !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post

Exact tires I put on my trailer back in April and I've been nothing but happy so far. Hopefully I, and you, will have many uneventful miles on these tires.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #37
buzzcop63

As of this morning my Power King tires were going on 6 years old, 3,009 miles, date code August 2011 as in my original post spring replacement time is at hand. Had went to Discount Tire first of year and got prices on Carlisle "E" rated tires and now that the sun has finally come out in our area I visited Discount Tire again to set up an appointment. Seems they have dropped Carlisle and replaced it with Goodyear Endurance, the new US made Tire. Tire dealer sold me on this tire and I had four of them mounted ST225/75/R15, 117N. Tire cost $121 each. They oldest date code was 3rd week of 2017. I have Tire Minder, keep tires covered when trailer is in storage, sitting on asphalt, travel at 55 MPH and monitor pressure very closely. Will post again when have had some miles on these tires. No problems reported by dealer on old Power King tires but also stated that separation inside tire may not be evident until it lets loose.

Tags
power, tires