Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #1
gbsb

blown fuse

Installed a new Maxxair vent fan in the bathroom today. I wired into the existing wires for the vent fan, and every thing was fine. About 30 minutes later I here a pop and a 12 volt fuse blows. The fuse is marked furnace. The fuse also controls the thermostat, the refrigerator, the bathroom fan, and the stove light. I expect a problem with the new bathroom fan so I disconnect it and replace the fuse. It instantly blows, I look for a problem with shortrd wiring, find none. I remove lower cover for refrigerator and check the 12 volt wire at the junction connector, disconnect the wire and replace fuse ,it does not blow. But no refrigerator, I checked the refrigerator for shorts and it is fine, I ran a new wire from a blank spot on the fuse panel to the refrigerator and it is running fine. I am going to have to take it to a dealer I guess di not like bad wiring in a wall or ceiling. This is a 2017 26RLSWE Hideout Travel Trailer we have had for 5 weeks. I am a retired Mechanic with 40 years experience in vehicle repair and maintenance. Any other ideas where to look for a short, the red and white wire at the refrigerator connection was a dead short to negative.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:23 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Just a thought, on rv's wire color is not like automotive world. White is positive and black is the negative or "ground."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:12 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just a thought, on rv's wire color is not like automotive world. White is positive and black is the negative or "ground."
You've got that color code backwards.... White (just as in a S&B house) is negative.... Black is Hot (positive).

That may be the problem. Somewhere the "auto mechanic ideas" connected a black wire to ground, which is a direct short.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
BuxCamper

Did you pull on the wires when you did the fan? I just some minor work on the dinette 12v light. Its pigtails tap in to two runs of the 12v circuit it's on with crimp on wire nuts. Matt be a loose strand of wire is touching. Or you pulled the wire too hard on a screw.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

gbsb, You mentioned 30 minutes before fuse blew, couple questions: was this new fan running for that 30 minutes? What was the size of the fuse that blew? Just wondering if some insulation melted off a wire or connector which has shorted. At least in mine the bathroom has this tiny 5"fan maybe 6. I would guess the one you just put in is drawing more current, As stated if you had to move a bunch of wires around in the ceiling could have shook some connection loose, but in this case I do not see why it would take 30 minutes to have the fuse blow when you no longer were working with the wires? This could be a tough one not exactly knowing how its wired. Good Luck. If still under warranty which I think you said it was, may be a good one to take in.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse