Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #21
Still go once

That's why they make so many types of hitches, personal preference. Just to say, the hitch pulls the weight , the straps just tension the bars and control the sway. There is a huge difference between polyester and nylon. Polyester is vastly stronger than nylon, far more resistant to road salients and more UV resistant. With built in safety factors for there ratings a 10,000 lb. polyester strap will not snap to near 18,000 lbs.
Still go once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #22
sconner

I've been using a Reese dual cam straight line setup for several years behind a 2000 Silverado towing a 2920BH. I've never experienced sway. Maybe I haven't gotten into a bad maneuver, maybe lucky, don't know. All I can say is if I had to replace it, i would get the same thing.

I'm struggling to understand why you had issues? Mine has always worked flawlessly and is fairly quiet considering.

Here is a link to the one I have with 800lb bars.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...h_Sway_Control
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #23
sconner

Well, link didn't work. Just google "reese dual cam etrailer" and it will come up.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...t_Distribution
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still go once View Post
That's why they make so many types of hitches, personal preference. Just to say, the hitch pulls the weight , the straps just tension the bars and control the sway. There is a huge difference between polyester and nylon. Polyester is vastly stronger than nylon, far more resistant to road salients and more UV resistant. With built in safety factors for there ratings a 10,000 lb. polyester strap will not snap to near 18,000 lbs.
As noted in my previous post, polyester does, and will, degrade when exposed to weather. They might be neat for a short while (3-5 years) but then what do you do?.....Replace them every 5 years? At $200 a pop? I'm thinking my "steel on steel" with a little squeaking is far better and will last much longer than a polyester strap.....just sayin; and I don't have to worry about that "Oh, no!" when my WD/sway disappears at the most inopportune moment due to a fabric failure. To each his own I suppose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote