Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
weebl

How should I replace the tires when spring comes?

So our new to us 2010 Keystone Cougar 322QBS was put into winter storage a couple of weeks ago. Temperatures around here have dropped and are dipping to right around freezing at night. Add to that we have yet to get our tow vehicle (target for spring 2017), and camping is for sure done for this year for us.

Before we hit the road in 2017, I want to replace the OEM tires that are on there, the - lovely Power King Towmax STR II, which are now also over 6 years old.

My plan is to purchase 5 replacement tires in the spring, but I want to take only the wheels with me to the tire store in the city (where I live), have them mounted and balanced, then bring them back to the trailer and reinstall them. My question is, how can I do this? Is there a good, safe way to take all wheels off at once and have them off until I return with the new tires? The trailer is parked an hour out of town, so I really would like to minimize how many trips I make, and of course, avoid a town into town for the tire replacement. I will be getting a bottle jack, likely 12 ton, to lift the trailer, but can I safely rest it on wooden blocks or jack stands?
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Re: How should I replace the tires when spring comes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebl View Post
So our new to us 2010 Keystone Cougar 322QBS was put into winter storage a couple of weeks ago. Temperatures around here have dropped and are dipping to right around freezing at night. Add to that we have yet to get our tow vehicle (target for spring 2017), and camping is for sure done for this year for us.

Before we hit the road in 2017, I want to replace the OEM tires that are on there, the - lovely Power King Towmax STR II, which are now also over 6 years old.

My plan is to purchase 5 replacement tires in the spring, but I want to take only the wheels with me to the tire store in the city (where I live), have them mounted and balanced, then bring them back to the trailer and reinstall them. My question is, how can I do this? Is there a good, safe way to take all wheels off at once and have them off until I return with the new tires? The trailer is parked an hour out of town, so I really would like to minimize how many trips I make, and of course, avoid a town into town for the tire replacement. I will be getting a bottle jack, likely 12 ton, to lift the trailer, but can I safely rest it on wooden blocks or jack stands?
You should look in the trailer's owners manual for helpful hints about jacking your trailer off the ground.

Here is a link to a generic copy of the Keystone owner's manual in case you don't have one.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3003...17_revised.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
busterbrown

I think most members would say that you've been on borrowed time for awhile with those tires. I think the general consensus is to replace tires after 5 years, no matter what the tread wear is. My Bullet is less than 9 months old and will be replacing tires within the next 12 months. The OEM China bombs have integrity issues from day one and your risk of a catastrophic failure goes up considerably year after year.

As far as lifting your trailer, any bottle jack over 4 tons will do just fine. With my trailer, I lifted each side of each axle up independently and use jack stands with wood blocks to support the load.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Desert185

Jack the axles at the spring ubolts with the landing gear legs and rear stabilizers supporting the trailer. I would also put jack stands under the frame forward and rear of the axles. Jack an axle, pull the tire, lower the jack and go to the next axle.

I wouldn't do this on a windy day.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
weebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I think most members would say that you've been on borrowed time for awhile with those tires. I think the general consensus is to replace tires after 5 years, no matter what the tread wear is.
I only got the trailer this August, and it sat stationary where I bought it (leased campsite that runs out end of October), until I brought it back home a couple of weeks ago. I agree those tires are definitely long overdue. Considering the trailer has been barely driven (from what I've been told, supported by the virtually new looking tread of the tires), and the fact the temperatures were cool for the trip home, I figured I would take the chance to bring it home on the China bombs (they did just fine). Definitely NOT going to risk travelling with them in 2017 after winter storage.
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
bsmith0404

I jack mine up with a 12T bottle jack just ahead of the front axle put jack stands under as close to the axles as possible. Once I have both sides resting on the jack stands, I put down all of the stabilizer jacks (in my case that's the 4 rear feet). I have HD jack stands that are tall enough to support the trailer without blocks. I don't like any additional pieces that could shift.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

While you have the wheels off, I hope you plan on inspecting and adjusting the brakes and wheel bearings. If not maybe take the trailer to the tire shop and have them do it as they replace tires. Does not really matter much mileage is on the trailer it is still 6 years old and those items need inspected.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote