Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I thought I would "toe the line" with Dexter regarding approved greases. I used to use Pennzoil (Shell) synthetic marine grease but can't find it over the counter anymore. Autozone stocks Mobil1, and it's a get it when they have it deal. I just put WalMart marine grease in my little GoDevil boat trailer. Smells and looks like the Pennzoil, so I feel better!
I keep my 3 grease guns in a plastic kitchen sized garbage can in the storage barn, and it's a mess.
I've got a tube of Lucas Red Sticky and Tacky that is going to be used on something for a trial. Maybe the lawn mower.
***edit Amazon lists Timken bearings cheaper than parts store Chinese bearings. But I won't guarantee they aren't Chinese Timkens.
I can get Mystik JT6 #2 at Autozone and ORielly, Farm and Fleet and Tractor Supply also carry it. I just ordered a 6 pack directly from Mystik. Also use their oils on the ATVs. Got introduced to Mystik when I was a kid, it's all my dad would use when he raced snowmobiles. I also run their JT8 15W-40 diesel oil in the Duramax. Got lucky and found a trucker who was retiring and had 25 gallons for sale in 5 gallon buckets. Picked it up for $7 a gallon. Unfortunately, the diesel oil is normally too difficult to find and too expensive to keep using once this 25 gallons is gone.

I've used the red and tacky, it's good stuff.

That's a great price on Timken....if they are in fact Timken bearings

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't gotten around to it yet since we moved from Louisiana, but this is what I did there to store my grease guns. I used a 2' piece of aluminum gutter with an end cap on each end, screwed it to the wall below where I hung my grease guns. Never had grease on the floor again after that. If you really don't want to even wipe the grease out occasionally, a little "DRI SORB" sprinkled in the gutter will keep it all "in one place"...

Sooner or later, I'll get tired of cleaning up grease in the pole barn and I'll go scrounge a piece of gutter and fix it LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GREASE GUN STORAGE.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	9422  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
mfifield01

I took a picture of the rim/hub area yesterday. I tried to pry off what looks like a cap. I just put a little mark in it, so I stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	9423  
Old 09-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

You may have to remove the wheel. Not all hub covers are two piece.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #25
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I took a picture of the rim/hub area yesterday. I tried to pry off what looks like a cap. I just put a little mark in it, so I stopped.
I believe there is a small flange on the outside rim of the cap. It's held in place by the wheel itself. When you remove the wheel, the hub should just fall out. If it doesn't, a gentle push should do the trick.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #26
gearhead

The wheel looks like mine, but the center cap looks different. I would pull the wheel off and see if the hubcap has a center cap. Kinda looks like it does. You should be able to see what holds the center cap on the hub cap. Probably 3 or 4 little chrome plastic tabs. Then with the wheel off you can confirm for sure if you have grease zerks.
Then go buy some super glue for the center caps if you break them.
Who knows, maybe keystone didn't put ez lube hubs on it. No great loss if they didn't.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I haven't gotten around to it yet since we moved from Louisiana, but this is what I did there to store my grease guns. I used a 2' piece of aluminum gutter with an end cap on each end, screwed it to the wall below where I hung my grease guns. Never had grease on the floor again after that. If you really don't want to even wipe the grease out occasionally, a little "DRI SORB" sprinkled in the gutter will keep it all "in one place"...

Sooner or later, I'll get tired of cleaning up grease in the pole barn and I'll go scrounge a piece of gutter and fix it LOL
I'm laughing thinking about you John. I was working the bearings, the wife and daughter were in Austin for a DAR seminar. That cool front that came through sure felt good. Had the place all to myself. I could scratch wherever I wanted and expel methane whenever. I thought that I bet it was a bit cool up north. Well long story shorter, the wind had blown one of my garbage cans over that was right by the garage door. After walking right by it all morning I decided to pick it up. HOT DANG...a 2 foot water moccasin was laid up under the garbage can. I'm thinking: snake you better not decide to slide inside the garage. I got the ever-present "snake hoe" and sent him to the promised land with 72 other snakes. I told the bride this morning to be careful out walking around the house. John don't you miss that part of the south??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #28
bsmith0404

Agree with gearhead that it looks like the center cap should come off, but best to pull the wheel and verify from the backside. As already mentioned though, once you pull the wheel and pack the bearings properly, they shouldn't need to have grease added through the EZ lube fittings so no big deal if you do or don't have them. Wheel bearings on RVs can be looked at the same as front wheel bearings on older cars, ever see one of those with grease zerks? Boat trailers, as you already know, are a much different story.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I'm telling everyone..lol. I used to use Mobil 1 synthetic grease with good results, but got tired of cleaning all of the puddles off the floor under the spot my grease gun hangs in the garage. I don't know what kind of soap/thickener they use, but I don't like it. I decided to switch to Mystik, which I had good luck with in the past. Even though it is owned by a Venezuelan company now, the quality hasn't seemed to go down.
I bought a grease gun for the trailer and loaded it with Mobil 1 synthetic. It leaks out of every pore of that gun while it's sitting in the garage. I'd never seen a grease gun do that before. Thanks for saying yours did the same thing!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #30
mfifield01

I pulled the tire off yesterday and it was exactly as described. There was a zerk fitting under the plastic cap. Also, the plastic cap does come off. Under the plastic cap was the standard rubber insert over the zerk fitting.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
bobbecky

The Timken bearings that I just used on our rig to replace the Chinese bearings, and that I purchased on Amazon, are in fact made in USA. I checked every cone and race, and all have USA stamped on them.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote