Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
TandE

Fridge drain tube

Does anyone know what would happen if the drain tube were to back up? Ours on our 5er was kinda coiled up inside the service area as its too long. Only reason I'm asking is we had a water puddle under the fridge inside but I can't find where it came from but when I opened the cover and the tube straighten out a bit of water came out of it.

The water on the inside looks like it was low and didn't come too far from above it. The next compartment over is the water heater and everything around it is dry too. Went on the roof and everything up there looks good too and the only thing I can think of is the fridge drain but am unsure but at the same time it looks dry in the service area and fridge and freezer seem to be working properly.

Thanks for the ideas as I track this potential problem.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
SteveC7010

In the fridge, there should be a large block of aluminum with fins on it on the back wall up high. Just under it should be a plastic trough just large enough to catch any drips from the cooling fins. Every time you open the fridge door, room air gets in there, and it contains moisture. After you close the door, that room air gets cooled by the fins and the moisture condenses on the fins. Depending on the humidity and how cold you run your fridge, it can either turn to ice or drip into the trough. That trough drains out through the tube that sticks out of the lower vent panel on the outside. If you get an ice buildup during a camping trip, when you shut off the fridge, that ice will melt and drain out of the tube. There probably will be enough for a small puddle. On the other hand, if the moisture condenses and drips off, you may not see much more than the bottom of the vent opening being wet.

If you get a little water out of that tube every now and then, that is a good thing. Bone dry all the time needs a little investigation.

Your tube may have been crimped just enough to block off the water flow. If the little screen end of the tube went AWOL, you might get a bug nesting up in there.

To answer your first question, the trough could fill up and overflow into the fridge.

That tube should be long enough to stick out of the vent cover enough so that any drips won't get inside the compartment.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The fridge drain tube should exit to the outside of the RV. It usually "sticks out" a very short distance from the fridge vent cover and should be sufficient length that it does not have any "loops or droops" in it. At the end of the plastic drain, there is a small screened cap which prevents insects from getting inside the tube. This cap may be plugged in your case not allowing water to drain properly.

I'd most likely cut off any excess tubing - trying to make the run as straight as possible to the outside. It shouldn't be all coiled up.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
TandE

The more I am looking into it the more I think it was the rain we just got.

Drain is free of debris from what I can tell and the cap is too.

I'm thinking it might be entering between the service door frame and the aluminum structure in a corner and it is in that General area that is wet below.

First image is the suspect area
Second image is the long drain
Third is where the water was found. Back lady corner and under the side panel between it and the floor.

Travis
Old 09-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Travis, Since you don't have a signature, I have no idea how old your trailer is. The drain tubing gets brittle over time and may contain cracks. Also, the tubing should exit the vent closer to the bottom. ... that will straighten it and help it drain.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
TandE

Sorry for that it is a 2015 326srx. Bought about a month and a half ago so I am hoping that is not the case. Just trying to avoid the dealer for repair if I can find it and it's not an intense repair.

Travis
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Sorry for that it is a 2015 326srx. Bought about a month and a half ago so I am hoping that is not the case. Just trying to avoid the dealer for repair if I can find it and it's not an intense repair.

Travis
Try exiting the tube lower on the vent cover ... it should make it almost to the bottom.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
LaTundra

Had the same problem. The drain tube was coiled up in the back. Uncoiled it, ran it through the vent, no more leak
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote