Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Exsailor

Wash and wax

So while i am sitting here with Ike (basset hound) in an RV park with some free time i see a mobile detail van pull up across the way and do a complete wash and wax on a 38 ft toy hauler. I struggle to keep the front and rear caps waxed and keep up with my peeling decals. Theyre gonna give me a quote on mine but I know it will be out of range. A pressure washer, 2 brushes, buffer, and 500 business cards, why didnt I think of that? Maybe my lottery numbers will hit and I'll hire him. Bottom line is waxing makes a difference however you get it done. That toy hauler is immaculate!

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
rbev2308

I met some full timers who had a mobile service like this. They told me the beauty of it was, all cash, no taxes, and they had hit spots in the past and stayed a month for free just by doing this exact same thing. They worked twice a week and it paid for their fees. Now not all campgrounds allow the use of the water...curious to see the going rate you get if you ask...Hell its all I can do to simply wash from the ground. I have not waxed this one just yet...
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

I first saw that at Chula Vista, CA this summer. The rate for my 28' camper was $250 a pressure wash and wax. I'm not a fan of pressure washing so I passed. Hand washing was another $100 or so.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

First few years I washed and hand waxed the Cougar twice a year ..... last few, once a year. Not because the trailer is older ... I AM!
I still do the roof twice a year but arthritis does not like the "Wax on .... Wax off" motion very much anymore. Oh ... and I'm too cheap to pay somebody else to do it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
cruisegrandma

I'm gonna start saving for the wash and wax should the opportunity come around. As a newbie, this makes me wonder if you must wait a period of time before waxing like you do a new car. Anyone know? Also, how often should the camper be waxed?
Passport 23RB
No longer virgin trailer and truck owners... BUT LOOK OUT ANYWAYS!!!
Harleysville, PA
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
dcg9381

I didn't know you had to wait with a new car... A newly painted car, yes, but not a new car.

I know in our case, the manufacture date and the delivery date was about 6 months apart.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
cruisegrandma

I was told to wait with my last car. Just assumed I had to with this one too. Maybe things are different now.
Passport 23RB
No longer virgin trailer and truck owners... BUT LOOK OUT ANYWAYS!!!
Harleysville, PA
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #8
bsmith0404

The waiting period is to allow the paint to cure/harden, not really necessary if it is baked, but needed if it's not. shouldn't be a waiting period on an RV. As for how often, it depends. If it sits outside all of the time, more often than one stored inside. If you use a true carnauba wax, more often than a sealer. I would not use a carnauba wax on an RV since the only real benefit is a deeper/wetter looking shine. The rule of thumb for anything constantly exposed is 4-6 months. After that, the wax is pretty much gone and you do not have anything left protecting the finish. The sun is very cruel, if you want to see what I'm talking about, go to NM or AZ and look at cars, so many people think they don't have to wax clear coat and in just a few years their clear coat is peeling... The cars all look like they are recovering from a sun burn, to an extent they are. This is less common up north.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
FlyingChief

Here in Southern California, the going rate for the full treatment (wash and wax) generally runs about $10 per foot. Some a little higher, some a little lower.

2016 Raptor 355TS
2011 Ford F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote