Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #1
Rdowns

Switching from 16k hitch to 20K??

I need to switch my Fifth wheel hitch from a 16K to a 20K hitch. What is the difference between the hitch's, is it only the head? What Im getting at is are the rails the same,do they have the same weight rating, are the they typically the same dimensions? I would like to leave the rails and swap the drop in hitch part only. I believe the dimensions are universal for the drop in hitch's.

I have a 16K Valley Industries standard hitch, the brand was bought out by husky. I found a husky and a reese 20k hitch on craigslist for 300$ each. I want to check the dimensions to see if they will drop right in. Not sure which is the better brand??

Any input on any of this?
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Not sure on that brand, but I do know the Reese 16k and 20k use the same kegs. If you're only wondering if the new hitch will drop into your existing rails, I'd say yes. The only modification I had to make when I went from the Reese 16k to 20k is a center bolt on the rails for the 20k. Apparently the additional weight of the trailer causes center flex that is not an issue with lighter units.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote