Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Hutch

How to properly flush black water tanks on 293sbh

Hi guys,

In July 2014 we purchased a Laredo 293SBH and had a great summer with it! I am mechanically inclined, not to many things that i can't figure out. But...

Our Laredo has two grey tanks, two black tanks. It was unknown to me until I was winterizing the trailer that our unit has a built in black water flush connection.

How do we properly use this with two tanks? I would assume that both black water valves would have to be open to use this? I can't connect two sewer pipes at once at any of the dump sites i have visited. All summer I have been emptying the remaining fresh water into the black tanks prior to dumping to "flush things out".

Any advice is appreciated.
Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
GaryWT

Hi and welcome. First off is the black tank flush connected to both tanks or just the main tank or do you have 2 different flush systems. If both are flushed at the same time you wou put a Y connector on the pipe in the ground so you could connect to different dump valves at the same time. If you have a Y you can always have both hooked up so you don't have to move the hose while camping. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
therink

Unless you have two separate black tank flush connections, I am fairly certain the single flush connection only serves one black tank (likely the main or front one).

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Hutch

there is only one connection for the "flush port".

Would we have caused any damage/piling in the tank by not using this? We had the dealer do a flush when we brought it to them for winterizing.

I will give Keystone a buzz tomorrow to verify if it flushes bother or just the one.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If there is any solid build-up in either tank, it can be taken care of. Just hook up to city water, then use a wedge or some pipe to hold the toilet open. Then pour a good dose of digester and fill the tank(s). Let it set for a few days, then take it out on a drive to "shake things up", and drain.

The wedge or pipe in the toilet will hold the flush valve open and run water into the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
gearhead

After dumping the tank I've put a few gallons of water in there and several generous squeezes of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Seems to keep things clean and smelling like a bouquet of spring flowers. ahem
I don't use the flushing system every time.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
Hutch

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated! I always put a "pack" down the toilet every time we will filled up the fresh water. I'll probably scope it in the spring to take a peek at the tanks.

I also called Keystone yesterday, honestly impressed with the customer service. Was connected to a qualified person in minutes who looked up all the techanical information about my trailer. Therink, you are correct, the flush port is only for the forward tank.

Cheers,
Hutch.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
bchesley

Hutch,

I have the exact same model that you have an was wondering if it did both tanks or not. Now that I know I wish they both had one. I have only used it once because of a small leak I am waiting to have fixed under warranty. Now for sewer hookups I do use a Y connector at the dump location, or if we have full hookups at our site. Its much easier that way.

Since you talked to a tech about your FW how much info were they willing to share? Did they tell you what fixtures went to which tanks? I know that I have two grey and two black, but I am trying to figure out where my kitchen sink grey water ends up?

Brad
1975 Ford Bronco
bchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Hutch

if memory serves me right the rear GW tank holds the kitchen sink and powder room. I do have to call them back on something else so i will try and remember to ask that question but i am 99% sure on this.

Master bath is the only thing that goes to the forward BW and GW tanks.

I only have the one hose when i go to the dump, to be completely honest the Y-Pipe sound to much of pain. As far as storage, connecting etc. Dump the front, move forward and dump the rear. I always have things to do while dumping the tanks. All in the process tanks 1-2min more without.