Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Charli

clamp or Multi Meter? Which one? What features

Looking to add to my RV tool kit and recently purchased a Klein CL1000 Clamp meter but am considering returning it for a Multimeter. My knowledge in this area is limited but with info available on the Net I am sure I can learn.
The first step will be buying the right tool. The clamp meter seems to be more functional as it can measure AC Current but the Multi is cheaper. It seems that Auto Ranging and True RMS features are desirable but not sure.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
randy69

Fluke is the brand to look for.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Hercules1978

It depends on what you are using it for. The clamp style can measure amps without being part of the circuit. A multimeter has to be inline in order to measure amps.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules1978 View Post
It depends on what you are using it for.
Very true. A multimeter can be used to test for continuity, voltage, and as stated, if it's "in line" with the circuit, amps. I have both in my tool box at work, but I find I use the multimeter more often. A simple test light can be used in many 12VDC tests, and can be bought real cheap.

I have a male 120VAC plug with a pig tail on just the ground blade. With the trailer unplugged from shore power I have a convenient ground at any plug to test any 12VDC circuit. I only seem to use my clamp on meter to test draw when a customer complains of batteries draining to fast.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Wes Tausend

Just one meter?? Just kidding... sorta.

I do have more than one meter for camping and general use. I don't bring a clamp-meter with during camping, but do have multimeters and others.

One handy meter is just a 110v unit that plugs into any ac outlet and monitors available ac voltage.

Some campgrounds have marginally sized wiring and are quite susceptable to brownouts during crowded, heavy A/C use. This full-time meter allows me at a glance to protect my A/C from running at low voltage and motor burnout. All other appliances seem to tolerate low voltage with the possible exception of the microwave/convection oven. The meter does demonstrate why one should not run both A/C and the microwave (or the electric hotwater element) at the same time on 30 amp service.
================================================== ========

Another handy at-a-glance plug-in meter is a 12v meter that monitors battery voltage during dry-camping (no hook-ups).

Although the LED part is similar to the built-in RV meter, the digital readout allows one to determine a more accurate % of battery charge remaining. Below is a volt chart, whether using a mulimeter or the plug-in above.

(Taken from The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) )
================================================== ========

One that I don't own is a 110v Kil-a-watt meter.

The Kil-a-watt meter would be handiest during draws on an inverter (12v to 110v), or generator, to determine individual watt-load contribution, and therefore total line load in these limited conditions. The conditions are of course limited by the inverter or generator maximum supply ratings.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
grayghost03

You can find many different brands of Multi Meter/clamp on amperage combo units and have the best of both worlds, heck mine even has a temperature probe. It is a off brand that has worked great for the last few years.