Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #21
airforceret

For anyone that has a dometic 310 or 320 toilet, they are known to overflow the toilet bowl if the vacuum breaker sticks as it will continue to allow water to fill the bowl if the pump is on, you are attached to city water, or as long as the pressure in the system is enough to push water through the valve (including heat expansion).
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
scott1k

I work in the insurance industry and most people do not have a clear understanding of what a warranty is and what they cover. Product warranties cover the failed product and the associated cost to repair or replace that product. Consequential damage is not covered. I see they are replacing the toilet as a good will gesture outside of the warranty period. That would be the extent of their obligation even if the warranty was in force. The consequential damage is a matter for insurance to handle and should be a covered loss under most RV policies.

In theory, you might have a product liability claim against the toilet manufacturer. However, the burden of proof is on you to show how and why the part failed, that they were negligent in their design and manufacture, and that you did not contribute in any way to the loss. Expert and legal fees would easily cost you 3X the value of your trailer before you ever saw a court room.

In any event, I do not see how Keystone could be blamed for this in any way.
scott1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
Pmedic4

Contact your insurance Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I would contact your insurance agent and file a claim with them since it is out of warranty. Depending on your insurance provider, it will be covered. It may also be covered as an extension to your home owners insurance. Good luck.
Great comment for everyone, as really if you have a loan on your RV, you are probably required to have insurance. Just like your home mortgage company requires you to have insurance on your house. And as odd as it sounds, mostly your RV insurance is for when you are camping and using it, or it's sitting stored, because when it's hooked up to your tow vehicle going down the road, it's covered under the vehicle coverage.

Personally, even if I had no loan and my RV is less than 10 years old, I would still have insurance. Hard to replace even a 10 year old ($50,000 original cost) RV. At least our insurance from my current company is affordable - I checked with some of the RV insurers, and their rates were frightening!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Pmedic4

Contact your insurance Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I would contact your insurance agent and file a claim with them since it is out of warranty. Depending on your insurance provider, it will be covered. It may also be covered as an extension to your home owners insurance. Good luck.
Great comment for everyone, as really if you have a loan on your RV, you are probably required to have insurance. Just like your home mortgage company requires you to have insurance on your house. And as odd as it sounds, mostly your RV insurance is for when you are camping and using it, or it's sitting stored, because when it's hooked up to your tow vehicle going down the road, it's covered under the vehicle coverage.

Personally, even if I had no loan and my RV is less than 10 years old, I would still have insurance. Hard for anyone to replace even a 10 year old ($40,000 ++ original cost) RV. At least our insurance from my current company is affordable - I checked with some of the RV insurers, and their rates were frightening!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Ken / Claudia

The first post talked about a lawyer and it sounds like that is not going to happen. I have been questioned in court and made statements about stuff I did or did not do. So, based on my history this is what likely what would happen. Lawyer questions the guy who used the toilet and those questions would be how did you get instructions on how to use the toilet. What did you do exactly. Was the water still running when you left the trailer. What did you do to stop it. Who did you tell if you knew there was a problem. etc. Than they blame the RV owner. Thats how it works, in this case find all the reasons why the RV owner is the one to blame. Lawyers are the last people to get involved in a case like this. Besides the year(s) it would take to get anywhere.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote