Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Jadocs

Hey guys TV question RAM 2500 CTD

Hey folks,

Found this forum while doing some research on purchasing my first TT or 5th wheel.

I'd like to run some info by you to see if my logic is sound and to get some possible input on TT or 5th wheel selection as it pertains to the capability of my truck.

Before I get into the numbers, I'd like explain what I am looking for in a TT/5th wheel. I am looking for the biggest/high quality TT/5th that I can safely tow. The purpose of the purchase would be to pack the family up during summer break and explore the country (so extended driving is in the cards).

I own a 2014 RAM 2500HD CTD. I looked up my vehicle by VIN and the max payload is 2,291lbs. (which leaves me towing 14,809lbs)

2,291 (max payload)
- 700 (family of 5)
- 220 (31 gallons diesel)
- 250 (hitch)
- 50 (misc)

This leaves me a pin weight of 1,071lbs

Based on those numbers, I don't see a 5th wheel as a option. If I were able to find a 5th wheel with a 1,000lb pin weight, I am sure the quality and nice floor plans would not be there. This leaves me with TT's. Does that sound about right to you guys, or do you think I'm be in overly cautious?

I'm new to this so it is somewhat confusing when I see people with F250/2500's towing Taj Mahal 5th wheels, but if I can safely do the same, I'm all ears.

If I am correct, which TT would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
Jadocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs View Post
Hey folks,
Before I get into the numbers, I'd like explain what I am looking for in a TT/5th wheel. I am looking for the biggest/high quality TT/5th that I can safely tow. .

There really isn't any significant difference in the build quality from one Keystone product to the next. They are all assembled by the same folks and there is no extra TLC given to one unit over another. The differences are in the quality of the furniture, appliances and other creature comforts but the basic unit is the same no matter which model or how much you pay.

Some of the "better" models have better furniture, countertops and other similar items and the size and weight of the RV is only limited by your tow vehicle.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Jadocs

Thanks Festus, I wasn't sure.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Road-King

Quote:
I own a 2014 RAM 2500HD CTD. I looked up my vehicle by VIN and the max payload is 2,291lbs. (which leaves me towing 14,809lbs)
I'm not a weight police kind of guy, not saying your wrong, but I don't understand where you got the towing at 14,809. On the Ram sight I looked at Max Tow was 17,970 lbs. I don't think you need to subtract your payload from your max tow. That is two separate numbers.

Quote:
2,291 (max payload)
- 700 (family of 5)
- 220 (31 gallons diesel)
- 250 (hitch)
- 50 (misc)

This leaves me a pin weight of 1,071lbs
The same Ram sight shows your max payload 3140 lbs. And not to nick pick but I know my hitch doesn't weight 250 lbs. But I have a long bed with no slider. But using your numbers with those at Ram you would have a max of 1920 pin weight. That still seems low to me, but there are 5ers with that or less.

I could be wrong, my wife says I am all the time....

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ram_2500/capability/#link-3
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Jadocs, I have to agree with Road-King. I would hope your 2014 has a higher tow rating than my 2004 and my Cougar is well within my ratings. Check your payload on your door sticker ... I think you will find your figures are off.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Jadocs

Road-King, thanks for the reply my friend.

RAM has a tow calculator that you can use by looking up your exact vehicle by VIN. I have a 4x4 so that reduces my payload over a 4x2. I also have a crew cab which reduces payload even more.

This is what the calculator showed me. It has a slide bar where you can estimate payload. If I max my payload at 2,291 that reduces my towing capacity to 14,809 from 17,100. If I had zero payload my towing capacity would be 17,100 according to the calculator.

I'd love to be wrong, so please correct me. Like I said I'm new to this and would love a big 5th wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398133332.602767.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	5659Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398133340.733360.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	5660
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Jadocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Jadocs, I have to agree with Road-King. I would hope your 2014 has a higher tow rating than my 2004 and my Cougar is well within my ratings. Check your payload on your door sticker ... I think you will find your figures are off.

Ok I'm going out to check my door right now to confirm.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
440justin

They are showing you a reduced tow ratting when you are at max payload more than likely due to the GCWR. What rear end gears do you have on the truck? That is one of the bigger factors on what Ram is going to say you can tow

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Jadocs

Hey guys TV question RAM 2500 CTD

This is what I got off the sticker

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398134258.592300.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	5661Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398134281.016446.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	5662

Justin, I have:

3.42 Rear Axle Ratio
11.50 Rear Axle
6-Spd Automatic 68RFE Transmission

Curiously the door sticker has a slightly lower max for passengers and cargo. I wonder if it is because they factored in the weight of fuel.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Hoojs12840

I'm stunned if that's all the ram will allow. Wouldn't be much point of a 3/4 if that holds true.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Jadocs

If my numbers are correct, I'm willing to bet all similar equipped 3/4 tons are going to be very close to each other in terms of payload.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
Wally15

Quote:
This is what I got off the sticker

Attachment 5661Attachment 5662

Justin, I have:

3.42 Rear Axle Ratio
11.50 Rear Axle
6-Spd Automatic 68RFE Transmission

Curiously the door sticker has a slightly lower max for passengers and cargo. I wonder if it is because they factored in the weight of fuel.
Has to be the 3:42 rear axle ratio that is pulling these numbers down. I'll bet you'll see a big jump if you look at the same vehicle with a 3:73 or 4:10 rear end. My last truck (Silverado gasser) I special ordered with a 3:42. Didn't improve the gas mileage that much, and hurt my tow capacity. But I was mostly hauling a bass boat back then. Knew I had to upgrade my TV before getting serious about a camper.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #13
Javi

The stickered payload is a very simple number it is the GVWR minus the weight of the vehicle with all the options as it left the factory. So this truck weighed 7886 pounds with a tank of fuel and a 150 pound driver.

This number is further reduced by STUFF you add on the truck like floor mats, grill guards, bed caps, 5th wheel hitches, tools, kids, pets, ice chests, firewood, empty beer cans.....

And for those who doubt a 3/4 ton truck can have such a little payload..... Welcome to 3/4 ton realism...

To the OP... the best way to determine what pin weight you can support is a simple as loading the truck with everything you would haul in it on a trip including full fuel, wife, kids, pets, beer, ice chest ect.... Then head to the local truck stop and the CAT scale. Run the truck across the scale making sure to put the front axle on one pad and the rear on another.

Take the weight ticket and subtract the total weight from the GVWR of your truck. that's the remaining payload. Or an alternative is to take the rear axle load limit and subtract the weight of the rear axle from the scale ticket. Either way be sure to subtract a couple of hundred pounds for the 5th wheel hitch if you don't have it in the truck.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #14
Jadocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The stickered payload is a very simple number it is the GVWR minus the weight of the vehicle with all the options as it left the factory. So this truck weighed 7886 pounds with a tank of fuel and a 150 pound driver.

This number is further reduced by STUFF you add on the truck like floor mats, grill guards, bed caps, 5th wheel hitches, tools, kids, pets, ice chests, firewood, empty beer cans.....

And for those who doubt a 3/4 ton truck can have such a little payload..... Welcome to 3/4 ton realism...

To the OP... the best way to determine what pin weight you can support is a simple as loading the truck with everything you would haul in it on a trip including full fuel, wife, kids, pets, beer, ice chest ect.... Then head to the local truck stop and the CAT scale. Run the truck across the scale making sure to put the front axle on one pad and the rear on another.

Take the weight ticket and subtract the total weight from the GVWR of your truck. that's the remaining payload. Or an alternative is to take the rear axle load limit and subtract the weight of the rear axle from the scale ticket. Either way be sure to subtract a couple of hundred pounds for the 5th wheel hitch if you don't have it in the truck.

Javi thank you very much. That is very helpful. Is it possible to be over GVWR when calculating remaining payload using the rear axle method you described above?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Javi thank you very much. That is very helpful. Is it possible to be over GVWR when calculating remaining payload using the rear axle method you described above?
Yes, it is. But most weight & measure police only go by the registered axle weights not the GVWR. Either way you'll be okay but it's ultimately up to you which you want to use. Just make sure that your tires can handle the weight if you choose the GAWR.

My '12 F250 when weighed has a remaining payload of 2000 pounds and a stickered payload of 2629 so it's very possible to carry a lot more STUFF than you think..

Ironically my rear axle weight is 3000 below the stickered GAWR.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #16
Jadocs

Hmm, so technically speaking, your F250 could tow a 5th wheel that has a pin weight if 2,700lbs (fully loaded) as long as the overall weight of TV and trailer do not exceed tow rating?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
KanTC

Jadocs,

You are correct... your load/payload sticker is specific to your truck as (factory) built.

Websites/brochures & literature provides a general "UP TO" number [for payload], not a guaranteed payload.
As already stated, the literature payload numbers don't include options & special pkg weights... in addition, the
literature payload & curb weights are usually 'rounded-off'.

Check the notes/fine print on the towing guides... these provide the specifics for your calculations.

As per Ram: Curb Weight = "The weight of a vehicle without any passengers or cargo, but including all necessary fuel,
fluids and standard equipment." http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

See Note #5 for the 'driver' weight [Ram uses a 170 lb figure; 150 lbs driver + 20 lbs optional equipment]
http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf

So, there's no need to account for the 220 lbs of diesel -OR- 170 lb for the driver in any further calculations

Technically speaking... your owner's manual & other literature states [in part]: "The GAWR's and GVWR's should never be exceeded."

Is that "statement" open to interpretation...?? Some say "yes", others say "no"... it's an age-old debate!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Hmm, so technically speaking, your F250 could tow a 5th wheel that has a pin weight if 2,700lbs (fully loaded) as long as the overall weight of TV and trailer do not exceed tow rating?
Actually I "could" have a pin weight of 3000 pounds as that is the amount of difference between the GAWR and the actual weight on the rear axle.
Whether you do this are not is in most cases a personal decision and not one of law. Although there may be locations where in fact the GVWR is the limiting factor and not the GAWR.

Personally I'm not worried about the GVWR on my F250 because I know that the entire truck with the exception of a spring block and the badging is exactly the same as the F350 SRW which is placarded with a much higher GVWR (albeit with a higher rated tire).

I can't speak for the Dodge Ram...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Jadocs

Terri,

Thank you very much! Great info.

Javi,

Thanks gotcha.