Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Steve S

Genset 110

Well the power is out and I hooked up the small Yamaha to the trailer. It has two 15 amp breakers and I'm hooked in to one of them.
I running directly to the trailers 30 amp.... long story short am I just charging the batteries?
I have no 110 service in the trailer, there's a 220 breaker on the genset, should I be hooked to that?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
BobnLee

Im thinking if you have hooked up your generator using an adapter plug to your trailer you will have 110 in the trailer. Depending on how big you generator is you should be able to use all the 110 outlets tv microwave fridge etc.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
BobnLee

This might be a silly statement but dont forget to turn the breaker on, on the generator. I am guilty of that one.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
f6bits

I have a Yamaha EF2000is with two 15 amp outlets. I use an adapter when I plug my 30A trailer into my generator.

My generator will power most everything in the trailer if I'm careful, but *not* the air conditioner. I can run my microwave *or* electric water heater.

In all cases, the battery is charging and I have full 110V power throughout the trailer.

If your trailer works when plugged into a standard 30A outlet, then it should work when plugged into the generator. I don't know what 220 breaker you have on your generator, or the model of your generator.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
This might be a silly statement but dont forget to turn the breaker on, on the generator. I am guilty of that one.
That crossed my mind lol!
If I flick both breaker then I have power but 5 mins later the breakers kick off on the genset.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I have a Yamaha EF2000is with two 15 amp outlets. I use an adapter when I plug my 30A trailer into my generator.

My generator will power most everything in the trailer if I'm careful, but *not* the air conditioner. I can run my microwave *or* electric water heater.

In all cases, the battery is charging and I have full 110V power throughout the trailer.

If your trailer works when plugged into a standard 30A outlet, then it should work when plugged into the generator. I don't know what 220 breaker you have on your generator, or the model of your generator.
I'll post up a pic in a min, my phone is charging in the van.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
BobnLee

Dont use the 220 outlet. The trailer is wired for 110 only
Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
That crossed my mind lol!
If I flick both breaker then I have power but 5 mins later the breakers kick off on the genset.
How "small" of a small Yamaha?

If your batteries in the RV are very low, the converter/charger could be drawing a lot of power.

Any other electrical loads turned on?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
Dont use the 220 outlet. The trailer is wired for 110 only
Yeah that was the advice of my dad when he called........ A big no to that! Lol
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
How "small" of a small Yamaha?

If your batteries in the RV are very low, the converter/charger could be drawing a lot of power.

Any other electrical loads turned on?
The water heater is off, the only things running are the 12 volt lights and the furnace.

Here's some pics.
The one 15 breaker is on and nothing but if I flick them both on I have 110 but only for a short time the the breakers kick off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-16 19.11.39.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5087   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-16 19.11.30.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	5088  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
bobbecky

I would make sure both the fridge and the water heater are switched to gas only. We have run for over two weeks using a 2000 W Honda, and except for an occasional brain cramp trying to use the microwave while my better half was using her hair dryer, the breaker on the generator never trips. And, No, do not use the 220V position to connect to a 30 Amp trailer. A 30 Amp service has one hot wire, a neutral, and a ground. If you somehow connected 220V to a 30 Amp trailer, you would fry any number of things, and hopefully not burn the trailer to the ground.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I would make sure both the fridge and the water heater are switched to gas only. We have run for over two weeks using a 2000 W Honda, and except for an occasional brain cramp trying to use the microwave while my better half was using her hair dryer, the breaker on the generator never trips. And, No, do not use the 220V position to connect to a 30 Amp trailer. A 30 Amp service has one hot wire, a neutral, and a ground. If you somehow connected 220V to a 30 Amp trailer, you would fry any number of things, and hopefully not burn the trailer to the ground.
Yup, I won't be hooking up the 220, I burn enough eggs I don't need to fry the trailer lol
I just noticed the fridge is on so I'll switch it to gas and try the breakers again.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
Steve S

K the fridge is off and I have both breakers on and I have power
Just one question, how do I get the fridge to lite up on propane?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't forget that the refrigerator, if set to AUTO will switch to AC power as soon as it's available. I'd make sure the HWH switch is turned off (outside under the cover) and that the refrigerator is set to gas. If you have problems with the generator circuit breakers opening after a few minutes, it may be the generator is too cold, leave it running, turn off all of the circuit breakers inside the RV, then turn on the main breaker, let it run past the amount of time it's now opening the breaker, then turn on the converter breaker, let it run for that amount of time, then one more breaker and repeat until they are all on. Sometimes, when the generator head is extremely cold, it will bog down the engine making the system overload if it's near capacity. Maybe this isn't what's happening, but worth a try.

Keep in mind that the converter can draw upwards of 10-12 amps if the batteries are nearly discharged. When you add the refrigerator, a few lights and the furnace kicks on, you're upwards of 15 amps of AC to power the 12 volt system PLUS any AC power such as the microwave, refrigerator, etc that might be turned on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't forget that the refrigerator, if set to AUTO will switch to AC power as soon as it's available. I'd make sure the HWH switch is turned off (outside under the cover) and that the refrigerator is set to gas. If you have problems with the generator circuit breakers opening after a few minutes, it may be the generator is too cold, leave it running, turn off all of the circuit breakers inside the RV, then turn on the main breaker, let it run past the amount of time it's now opening the breaker, then turn on the converter breaker, let it run for that amount of time, then one more breaker and repeat until they are all on. Sometimes, when the generator head is extremely cold, it will bog down the engine making the system overload if it's near capacity. Maybe this isn't what's happening, but worth a try.

Keep in mind that the converter can draw upwards of 10-12 amps if the batteries are nearly discharged. When you add the refrigerator, a few lights and the furnace kicks on, you're upwards of 15 amps of AC to power the 12 volt system PLUS any AC power such as the microwave, refrigerator, etc that might be turned on.
Thanks john, that all makes sense.
The on off on the fridge is off, the gas is in the on position, not depressed. Auto and check light is off.
I've never tried it on gas before do I need to lite it?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #16
Bluewater

You need to have an adapter to use that 30amp outlet on the right side.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

No it is auto light. The refrigerator power switch should be "ON" the gas switch should be "ON" (pushed in) and the auto switch should be "OFF" (pushed out). If you're unsure if it's working, you can go outside, pull the outer vent cover and there's a "tin can chimney" on the right side. At the bottom of it is a panel that usually you can see the flame flicker in the gaps, if not, remove the two #2 Phillips screws, and you can see the flame to make sure it's operating. The "check" LED should not be on if the gas is operating properly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #18
Steve S

Bingo! I had the wrong button pushed and now there's a flame!
Thanks to everyone for the fast response and great advice!