Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
cjm

Kipor 3000 inverter generator

I have a new to me kipor kge300ti inverter generator for my 2012 Springdale 282bhss. It will not power the trailer, but powers separate heaters, drills etc. any ideas why the trailer wont take the power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If the Springdale has a transfer switch, then it might not be sensing that the power source is the generator. A transfer switch is basically a device which senses and selects the source of power. The source might be a generator, or other external source such as household current or a campground power stand. After it senses what the source is, it should automatically transfer from one source to the other.

There may an issue with this switch if you have one. Do you?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
cjm

Nope, mo transfer switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
BlindGuyNAR

I have one and only one guess.

When using drills you are using the 15amp plugs and when plugged into rv your using the 30amp plug.

My one guess is the 30amp plug has a fusible link that has burnt out and needs replaced.

With a volt meter validate you are getting power out of the 30amp outlet.

If you aren't using the 30amp for the rv then sorry no help from me. If you are using the 30 then use the 15 with an adaptor as a test only to prove the issue is with 30 amp outlet.

I guess I have one more. The unit appears to have circuit protectors . Make sure they are on and one might have went bad.

Can we also assume the rv when plugged into shore power works?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
cjm

Thanks much, but its the same with all pluds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
BlindGuyNAR

Well darn I was going to also suggest the 30amp adaptor you are using is bad, but if you say it doesn't run on the other outlets with a diff adaptor then that's not it.

Rv does run fine on shore power right?

Time for the volt meter really. No way to move forward without knowing output on genny is good.

Maybe it's producing low/high volts and the drill just isn't as sensitive as the rv is.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
cjm

I believe I have found the problem. It seems the WFCO 8955 converter has a detection system to monitor ground. If it senses a problem it blocks power.

The generator has a floating neutral, it doesn't have a ground. Seems this is very common with inverter generators. So I'm assuming the converter see's this as there being a ground problem and intervenes. If I bond the neutral and ground together at the generator, power flows as it should through the trailer.

On shore power there is no problem because there is a bonded ground in the house system.

This took about 150 pages of reading to get to. WFCO was zero help, and despite they literature for that converter saying it monitors for fault conditions, told me that it doesn't have anything to do with 120Vac .

Ohh well, at least it works and the outlets in the trailer test as correct now.

hopefully this will save someone else the searching!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
BlindGuyNAR

Interesting. My EMS does that and i've heard of surge protectors that do it, but never heard of a converter doing it.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Linwoodrver

Anyone have anymore experience with a Kipor generator, good or bad, since last post?

2012 Cougar 31SQB
2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax + Allison tranny
Linwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
cjm

I've had two of them, my father in law has one as well as a buddy of mine. All of us are very happy with them, no problems, very dependable and very quite. I was very surprised that the 3000 watt one I bought was even quieter than the 1000w one I had already.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
shov

I had one that I used with my last TT, and it worked for years without any issues. i wish now that I wouldnt have sold it. I have an onboard Onan 6500 that when I use it it goes through propane like a mad man... Would have been nice to keep my Kipor
shov is offline   Reply With Quote