Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
cabinfever

Weight on each indivuidual tire.

I was wondering how many tire failures could have been caused by overweight on an individual tire. Many of us weigh the entire axle load. I have not read of many weighing individual tires, including myself.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

With slide-out on todays trailers it is very common to have the slide-out side to be heavier, side kitchens also tend to create an unbalance. If you inflate your tires for the max axle load there should not be a problem as long as you are not pushing the limits. If you did weigh each tire you would still use same inflation for both tires on that axle at the recommended psi or higher for the heaviest wheel. I my opinion this is why I keep all trailer tires at max inflation and avoid overloading . This applies to all OEM tires and axles since manufacturers seem to use the bare minimum necessary. If you have a 6000lb trailer with four E or G rated tires my theory goes out the window since you already have a big safety margin to play with. Play it safe and go for the best safety margin you can achieve with what you have, if it is not there you must lighten the trailer or balance the load better. JMHO, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
jadatis

Weight differences for 1 axle traveltrailers can be severe, 80kg difference R/L is not unusual for smaller traveltrailers .
When you have a tandem axle trailer the weightdifferences can even be crossed between the axles , so first axle Right side heavyer and second axle left side heavyer.

Many American TT and 5thwheeler owners but also motorhome users weight their vehicle in the weights they ride with ( so fully loaded) and 9 out of 10 front and back for motorhomes, and both axles for 5thwheelers give that crossed weight differences and high loaddifferences R/L.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

My opinion, since we all have them is #2 post sums it up. My experince at checking vehicle weights, (hundreads or more) is that left/right, front /back on many vehicles is different. Back to opinion, mine is that the RV trailers axles are so close to each other we may never know if a single tire failure is due to over weight of a single tire unless the trailer was loaded to over max. wt. on a single tire on purpose. What I and other troopers did hear was common at the roadside flat tire. The driver would say that earlier the other tire went flat or blew. Now why the other failed, could be tires wore out, over heated, over max. weight, axles bent etc. We never got to study the whys of the failures except for afew deaths caused by the crash after a tire failure. Those, the ones I was involved with were really old tries that were wore out but, still had tread. Remember tires wear out by age not just tread life.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
bobbecky

You just hit the nail on the head, when a tire fails, the other same side tire ends up supporting the entire load on that side of the trailer, and it is only a matter of time till the other tire fails due to being overloaded severely. I've read numerous posts on other forums that many, if they experience a failure, replace both tires on the same side of the trailer due to the overload that occurred.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Here is a very good read for RV trailer owners.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Q2h7KFHZTRaq4g

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote