Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Utahgeordie

Thermostat

I have a 2019 BH2400 passport and my thermostat is playing up and I would like to do an upgrade and I was wondering if any members have any suggestions
Utahgeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What thermostat is it? Is it Dometic and is it a CT (capacitive touch)?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Utahgeordie

It is a domestic with a touch screen that doesn’t work as you have to keep touching it more than once to change the settings and it doesn’t seem to be registering the correct temperature
Utahgeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I have heard great things about the MicroAir Easy Touch RV thermostat, but at $249 it is a pretty expensive solution to an inexpensive problem. I am getting sick of my Dometic capacitive touch and as long as the wife doesn’t find out what the MicroAir costs I will be getting one
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Take the cover off. Use your finger to touch the contacts and if that fixes it, you can sometimes “fluff” the styrofoam inserts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I asked about the type of thermostat, and the Dometic, because I have purchased the MicroAir and it is light years better than the Dometic CTs I've had (many). As far as getting tired of the Dometic...after 4 of them and their wackiness the new one is like going from a bicycle to a TransAm. Don't regret the expenditure one minute.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I asked about the type of thermostat, and the Dometic, because I have purchased the MicroAir and it is light years better than the Dometic CTs I've had (many). As far as getting tired of the Dometic...after 4 of them and their wackiness the new one is like going from a bicycle to a TransAm. Don't regret the expenditure one minute.
Is that a black, T-top, with a gold screaming eagle on the hood TransAm?

Glad to hear the MicroAir is still doing you well.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Is that a black, T-top, with a gold screaming eagle on the hood TransAm?

Glad to hear the MicroAir is still doing you well.

"East bound and down, loaded up and truckin"!
Old 12-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgeordie View Post
It is a domestic with a touch screen that doesn’t work as you have to keep touching it more than once to change the settings and it doesn’t seem to be registering the correct temperature

You are experiencing one of the many problems the CT thermostat exhibits. You can use the probes underneath (with the cover off but that is imprecise and unpredictable). I've cut the foam inserts to all kinds of lengths...no happy.

You could call Dometic and I'm sure they would send you a new one (they sent me 3) because they know they don't work - and the new one WILL fail as well from all I've had.

One of the many improvements of the MicroAir is the management of the AC in hot weather. Mine no longer cycles full on, cut back, cut off...go through that all the time. The MicroAir just makes it run (using the cycles) but it is almost transparent without all the "kick on", stop endlessly mess. So much smoother and I would have to think cheaper without all the starts, stops and hiccups.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I wonder if the person(s) who thought up the CT thermostat were terminated from Dometic and hired by Keystone where they outdid themselves with KeyTV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
Big1

I install the MicroAir Easy Touch RV thermostat and I am thinking about putting one in our bedroom.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
Moosedog

Thanks all for the information on an upgrade to the Dometic. My experience last summer with the Dometic thermostat was it switching to “Heat” from “Cool” mysteriously. This at the height of summer temps (90 degrees plus) while we were away from our unit for a few hours, and our dog was in there.. Not ideal !
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #13
TahoeTumbleweed

Good Day all. Now, I don't have the CT unit, actually the RV Comfort that came on my 2018 Fusion. I've always wanted Wifi / Blutooth accessibility. Has anyone tried to change out the Micro-Air in a unit like mine?? Thank you
TahoeTumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTumbleweed View Post
Good Day all. Now, I don't have the CT unit, actually the RV Comfort that came on my 2018 Fusion. I've always wanted Wifi / Blutooth accessibility. Has anyone tried to change out the Micro-Air in a unit like mine?? Thank you

My only experience with the MicroAir is with Dometic. They do make models for Coleman which I believe you have. I do not know the model number of yours though. Here is a link to their website. Click on which model do I need, select Coleman then pick your model number.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...32199143555156
Old 01-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #15
TahoeTumbleweed

Wow, thank you Danny. Great information and I'll certainly look in to it.....Happy New year you two ! ! Smiles, Tahoe Tumbleweed !!
Old 01-06-2021, 04:06 AM   #16
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
Thanks all for the information on an upgrade to the Dometic. My experience last summer with the Dometic thermostat was it switching to “Heat” from “Cool” mysteriously. This at the height of summer temps (90 degrees plus) while we were away from our unit for a few hours, and our dog was in there.. Not ideal !
We had trouble with ours in the fall, well long before that but this past fall I noticed the trailer was quite warm and the furnace was running steady. The thermostat had mysteriously set itself to 90. Emailed Dometic and they said they'd send new covers and to mean while just remove the covers. Still waiting for the covers but the stats are both working fine with just the covers off. The problem is they are so sensitive and often hard to set and we tend to push the setting harder to get it to work and then it messes up the foam in the cover. They told me to just barely touch the settings. I think I prefer just leaving the covers off.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
We had trouble with ours in the fall, well long before that but this past fall I noticed the trailer was quite warm and the furnace was running steady. The thermostat had mysteriously set itself to 90. Emailed Dometic and they said they'd send new covers and to mean while just remove the covers. Still waiting for the covers but the stats are both working fine with just the covers off. The problem is they are so sensitive and often hard to set and we tend to push the setting harder to get it to work and then it messes up the foam in the cover. They told me to just barely touch the settings. I think I prefer just leaving the covers off.

Jim I don't work for MicroAir but I have made several posts recommending their replacement for the CT thermostat simply because it is such a huge improvement over the Dometic.

We went through at least 4 of them (Dometic) and carried a new spare. Tried with covers, no covers, trimmed foam, touch by finger, PUSH by finger and WHACK with a hammer (not really ). I hate those things.

I know they are expensive but mine did as one of the other posts mentioned; stopped cooling and sort of did what it wanted to do - that is a big no go for me. Just walking by them can cause them to change functions.

The MicroAir offers many improvements in the operation; holding a set temp whether heating or cooling, setting it to the away function and you can set a different heat for heating or cooling (not done it but their engineers said it does it) plus it has wifi and bluetooth capability. Just something to think about....having a thermostat where you have to play a tune on the metal prongs to hopefully make it work isn't a lot of fun IMO.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:04 AM   #18
jimborokz

Danny,
Good points and I should have said that I have the Micro on my wish list. I know the Dometic is junk and more than just the covers but we winter in NW GA and really don't use the AC very much, mostly just heat. If we have further issues with ours I will definitely go that route. It's just weighing the cost vs. need.
One more question, I see it shows the outside temp. Does it come with a remote sensor? If not how does that work?
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #19
TahoeTumbleweed

These folks were suppose to get back to me regarding if I could swap out the "RV Comfort. CZ for the Micro. Never heard a thing....hmmmmm!! Good day ! !
ayy !
Old 01-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Danny,
Good points and I should have said that I have the Micro on my wish list. I know the Dometic is junk and more than just the covers but we winter in NW GA and really don't use the AC very much, mostly just heat. If we have further issues with ours I will definitely go that route. It's just weighing the cost vs. need.
One more question, I see it shows the outside temp. Does it come with a remote sensor? If not how does that work?

It apparently uses the AC module. Mine works and all I did was hook up the 3 wires; 12v+, 12v- and COM.