Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
pganarchist

Question Help I am camper illiterate

Just recently I was given a 2002 keystone sprinter that's in immaculate shape it has a few bugs here and there any tricks of the trade would be very helpful I'm looking for my GFI reset there must be more than one because I already reset it but my whole slide out lost power the lights and outlets my refrigerator only works on a gas and of course DC but it don't work on electric my radio won't put out any sound even though it says that it's playing just fine and there's nothing wrong with it I can't figure out why I have no water coming from the fresh tank but the city water works fine the pump kicks on for both I have no idea why that could be in one of the biggest problems is that when I unplug from my AC my batteries don't kick in I have no idea why I've checked every connection I could with the multimeter and I had almost almost 14 volts on the battery and so yeah help would be great and even any kind of insight into how to run these more efficiently would be awesome cuz I know there's always an easy way and so far I haven't figured it out yet
pganarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganarchist View Post
Just recently I was given a 2002 keystone sprinter that's in immaculate shape it has a few bugs here and there any tricks of the trade would be very helpful I'm looking for my GFI reset there must be more than one because I already reset it but my whole slide out lost power the lights and outlets my refrigerator only works on a gas and of course DC but it don't work on electric my radio won't put out any sound even though it says that it's playing just fine and there's nothing wrong with it I can't figure out why I have no water coming from the fresh tank but the city water works fine the pump kicks on for both I have no idea why that could be in one of the biggest problems is that when I unplug from my AC my batteries don't kick in I have no idea why I've checked every connection I could with the multimeter and I had almost almost 14 volts on the battery and so yeah help would be great and even any kind of insight into how to run these more efficiently would be awesome cuz I know there's always an easy way and so far I haven't figured it out yet
Ok, let's see if we can unpack all of this. Welcome to the forum. My first bit of advice is to use some punctuation and paragraphs in your writing. One giant sentence is difficult to read and parse out the questions.

The GFCI, typically one in bathroom but there could be another one hidden. Note, the power must be on forbit to reset. No shore power plugged innit will not reset.

The electrical system is split into 12v DC (battery) and 120 v ac. The 12 v DC powers the lights, the water pump, the slide out motors, electric jacks, TV antenna booster, radio, and the following control circuits (air conditioner, water heater, refrigerator, furnace & furnace fan).

The 120v ac provides power to the household wall outlets, the converter that supplies 12v DC and charges the battery, the air conditioner compressor and fan, and the electrical heating elements for the fridge and water heater.

The radio most likely will have "zone" buttons marked A, B, C. Typically push in A and B for inside front & rear speakers and C for outside speakers.

The water pump is on a switch and should only be turned on when you are using water from the fresh water tank. That tank is filled from the outside.

The battery isn't "kicking in" if there's a battery disconnect switch that's in the off position or a fuse is burned. There are two places where a fuse will disconnect. Typically there's a self resetting fuse near the battery in the positive wire from the battery. After a few years and corrosion they can fail. The other possibility is the reverse polarity fuses in the power center. Those are typically 2 fuses located off to themselves. If you connect the battery cables reversed, even for a split second they will blow out. On older trailers Keystone used a white cable for ground and black for positive. That can be confusing when your experience is red and black cables for cars.

I hope this gives you a start in figuring things out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
pganarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Ok, let's see if we can unpack all of this. Welcome to the forum. My first bit of advice is to use some punctuation and paragraphs in your writing. One giant sentence is difficult to read and parse out the questions.

The GFCI, typically one in bathroom but there could be another one hidden. Note, the power must be on forbit to reset. No shore power plugged innit will not reset.

The electrical system is split into 12v DC (battery) and 120 v ac. The 12 v DC powers the lights, the water pump, the slide out motors, electric jacks, TV antenna booster, radio, and the following control circuits (air conditioner, water heater, refrigerator, furnace & furnace fan).

The 120v ac provides power to the household wall outlets, the converter that supplies 12v DC and charges the battery, the air conditioner compressor and fan, and the electrical heating elements for the fridge and water heater.

The radio most likely will have "zone" buttons marked A, B, C. Typically push in A and B for inside front & rear speakers and C for outside speakers.

The water pump is on a switch and should only be turned on when you are using water from the fresh water tank. That tank is filled from the outside.

The battery isn't "kicking in" if there's a battery disconnect switch that's in the off position or a fuse is burned. There are two places where a fuse will disconnect. Typically there's a self resetting fuse near the battery in the positive wire from the battery. After a few years and corrosion they can fail. The other possibility is the reverse polarity fuses in the power center. Those are typically 2 fuses located off to themselves. If you connect the battery cables reversed, even for a split second they will blow out. On older trailers Keystone used a white cable for ground and black for positive. That can be confusing when your experience is red and black cables for cars.

I hope this gives you a start in figuring things out.

Yes thank you for your insight cuz I know a little bit about all of it and I can do the electrical I've already been through the fuses and breakers in the lines and I went through with the multimeter and checked and I know that each problem is is a separate issue it really the one that I can't figure out is why my batteries don't kick in when I unplug there's those two little breakers or what fuse it whatever you want to call them resistors right by the battery they're both good they have a reset button on them I looked it up there they seem to be good the meter says they're good they're good all the the fuses are good the converters are converter inverter so I am not an electrician but I know that everything's kicking out at least pretty close to the right amount of juice my radio yeah at that thing is possessed I think because there's no reason for that not to work it turns on and acts like it's playing a CD or the radio but you get nothing out of the speakers only there's nothing wrong with the speakers my water my water pump does kick on for some reason or has been I don't know why when I have City water hooked up not just my water tank I guess I was doing it the right way the whole time just one step at a time one thing at a time and figure it out as you go but damn it's pretty simple once you do figure it out. I I would have never figured out that I had to unplug to reset that outlet I would just replace it or switch the wires to bypass the safety switch but if it kicked out then there might be a reason. Ty aga again for the help, lmao I apologize if my bad grammar and punctuation made it confusing I'm disabled so if I don't talk to my phone it takes me an hour to type a message my hands don't work real well these days

Merry Christmas I hope everybody's happy and healthy
pganarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes thank you for your insight cuz I know a little bit about all of it and I can do the electrical I've already been through the fuses and breakers in the lines and I went through with the multimeter and checked and I know that each problem is is a separate issue it really the one that I can't figure out is why my batteries don't kick in when I unplug there's those two little breakers or what fuse it whatever you want to call them resistors right by the battery they're both good they have a reset button on them I looked it up there they seem to be good the meter says they're good they're good all the the fuses are good the converters are converter inverter so I am not an electrician but I know that everything's kicking out at least pretty close to the right amount of juice my radio yeah at that thing is possessed I think because there's no reason for that not to work it turns on and acts like it's playing a CD or the radio but you get nothing out of the speakers only there's nothing wrong with the speakers my water my water pump does kick on for some reason or has been I don't know why when I have City water hooked up not just my water tank I guess I was doing it the right way the whole time just one step at a time one thing at a time and figure it out as you go but damn it's pretty simple once you do figure it out. I I would have never figured out that I had to unplug to reset that outlet I would just replace it or switch the wires to bypass the safety switch but if it kicked out then there might be a reason. Ty aga again for the help, lmao I apologize if my bad grammar and punctuation made it confusing I'm disabled so if I don't talk to my phone it takes me an hour to type a message my hands don't work real well these days

Merry Christmas I hope everybody's happy and healthy
If you are dictating then say "period" after a sentence. At the start of a new paragraph simply say "new paragraph".
Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

Sorry to hear about the hands. Maybe if we tackle one issue at a time it will go smoother. Does you A/C or microwave work? That will tell us if you have 120 volt power.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Long lists of questions usually leave some unanswered (my fortune cookie saying for the day). Put your camper year, make and model as well as the same for your tow vehicle in a signature which you can build by clicking the UserCP button and finding the signature building tool.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Long lists of questions usually leave some unanswered (my fortune cookie saying for the day). Put your camper year, make and model as well as the same for your tow vehicle in a signature which you can build by clicking the UserCP button and finding the signature building tool.
Good advice grasshopper.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

OP: you have three separate threads asking the same question. Since this one appears to be the most active, and to eliminate confusion I am going to delete the other two.

I’m sure that we can get all your issues with your trailer figured out, lots of knowledge here, and we will get through it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
OP: you have three separate threads asking the same question. Since this one appears to be the most active, and to eliminate confusion I am going to delete the other two.

I’m sure that we can get all your issues with your trailer figured out, lots of knowledge here, and we will get through it.
WHEW!
Old 12-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #10
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
WHEW!
I’m not the most brilliant when it comes to forms but posting like a Marine in a chopper with a finger squeezing the trigger behind a 50 cal machine gun is quit intimidating.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
Karyn Felt

I had a hard time finding the GFCI plug and finally found it on the side of the kitchen counter under the extended counter..if you have one of those.. Good luck and have fun when you get everything else figured out. You came to the right place...these people are awesome!!!!
Karyn Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
LHaven

If I read the original posting correctly, the OP thinks his slide and fridge aren't working because he has to reset a GFCI... but those units are typically not on the GFCI circuit. He has an additional problem.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Felt View Post
I had a hard time finding the GFCI plug and finally found it on the side of the kitchen counter under the extended counter..if you have one of those.. Good luck and have fun when you get everything else figured out. You came to the right place...these people are awesome!!!!
there is usually another one in the bathroom.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
cavie

Quote:
The first thing you need to do is learn punctuation so we can understand the problems. you have many. Lights are 12 volts. outlets are 120 volts. 2 different systems. Pump will not come on with city water.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
RoadToad

Good chance your House battery is done for. Tha would explain some of your issues.
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The first thing you need to do is learn punctuation so we can understand the problems. you have many. Lights are 12 volts. outlets are 120 volts. 2 different systems. Pump will not come on with city water.
Cut the OP some slack. He is mobility restricted and must use a voice dictation system to post his messages.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-28-2020, 02:30 AM   #17
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Cut the OP some slack. He is mobility restricted and must use a voice dictation system to post his messages.
There is a cure for that in post #4. Since I decided not to read thru another long hard to read post, I would not have known that now would I?
Old 12-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

OP has posted a series of problems with his trailer. Although the posts lack needed punctuation OP explained the reason which is understandable. An explanation was given on how to improve the posts. If the OP is anything like me, trying to "dictate" to a phone (or any other device) and placing correct punctuation verbally would still result in a "what the heck is that" kind of post.

IMO bottom line is OP has an RV with problems and has reached out to the best of his ability trying to get help. I've read every one of the posts and although difficult to parse through, it's doable albeit with a little confusion. For those that find reading the posts too difficult I would suggest....don't. OP made the initial post to the best of his ability. A suggestion was made on how to improve the grammar if possible (posts are required to be properly punctuated but in this case I think we have to give a bit of leeway). Bottom line is that we are here to help folks fix RV problems and not school them in Grammar 101 or attempt to embarrass them so they give up. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
CedarCreekWoody

Sourdough, I totally agree!
Andersen hitch
Old 12-30-2020, 04:17 AM   #20
DAMILLER_SR

Hire out

When we bought our house about 13 years ago, it had a swimming pool that we had no idea how to operate. My DW hired an expert from the local pool place to come bye for one hour and teach us how to use the entire thing. The tips we got were amazing, not the least of which is there's no need to heat the entire pool all the time.
My suggestion is to Maybe go to a local RV place, and find somebody who's been camping with a similar type RV for years. Pay them a hunderd dollars in cash, to come by and show you everything you need to know about owning an RV including hitching up, setting up, and day-to-day operation, Breaking down, and reaching up to hit the road again from the campsite.
I would also suggest that when you hire that person, you have a pre delivery inspection list handy, a quick web search will show you many of these. The reason for having this list is to be able to have some questions such as those that you posted for us ready to go, so that you do not forget anything while your expert is handy.
Lastly I strongly suggest you use a printed checklist every time you go out. Do a Web search for RV departure arrival checklist And you will find plenty of helpful tips .
YMMV
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote