Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And all the power in the world is useless if you can't control it.
True dat!! My bucket list includes one trip in a rail dragster.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
True dat!! My bucket list includes one trip in a rail dragster.
I did that many years ago at Speed Zone in Dallas, TX. It was a blast. My employer back then (late 1990's) also took us for a track day at Texas Motor Speedway. Putbus in stock cars and rode use around the track at 160 mph. That was a blast!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

I think the OP has made his mind up about the Explorer and he has been towing a larger RV for a while if not mistaken...good, bad or indifferent. The reason the original question requesting info from those towing an RV with an Explorer doesn't generate responses is because there aren't many, if any, folks that have taken that ill advised leap. I have seen one in my travels...but, passed them quickly before things went south. I wish you the best with that turbo 4 cylinder...had one..btdt back when.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #24
travelin texans

I'm thinking with all the experience with Explorers towing various trailers & it sounds like that's what's going to happen regardless of advice then report back here with the absolutely wonderful towing experience you've had with that all powerful tow vehicle so that possibly that one other person looking to do the same will have at least one other out there with that experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:15 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
FYI, the 2020 Explorer (6th generation) is a completely new platform, 6+ inch longer wheel base and rear wheel drive or AWD. Have any of you really looked at or pulled a (7) seven foot wide x 10ft tall TT. Many come in at 3000 lbs or under shipping weight. Do you really think that after 74 years of prosperity on this earth I do not know how to lightly load a TT and or select a TV. Half a sea bag of gear and clothing and I'm set to go. All were looking for is a place to sleep, potty, and make a fried bologna sandwich along the way.

I was looking for was someone with first hand information, you are out there , I see the suv/van/small TT combo on I-75 all the time doing just fine.

Have a good day.

Just the 2 of us and the 15lb dog, NO generator, fuel, firewood, marshmallow sticks, bicycles, Kids, goats or cats.
In the OP you asked such a specific question that responses were naturally going to be generic, i.e. people read it "as I want to tow this set up". The only way you could have gotten more specific would have been to say "has anyone with metallic blue with black interior 2020 or 2021 Ford explorer...."

So good look with finding the answer you seek and enjoy.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #26
Badbart56

This may answer some of your questions but it also begs to wonder, why not just get an F150? Especially considering the price difference and power options.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #27
Bill-2020

reminds me...

Has anyone seen the TV ad from Ford using a F150 and towing (backing up) the large blacked-out toy hauler?
Old 11-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
This may answer some of your questions but it also begs to wonder, why not just get an F150? Especially considering the price difference and power options.

Didn't bother to listen to the hype in the video, but did watch it! They hooked it up to a boat trailer which puts minimal weight on the hitch compared to a rv of the same weight, the boat is the same height as the SUV & has a V front end unlike a rv, so to me it has absolutely no useful information if wanting to haul a rv behind it, other than confirming the fact it shouldn't be done.
And showing the guy with no hands backing is only giving some the idea that now they can be using the phone while the vehicle drives itself.
Not picking on Ford or any other brand, but the manufacturers are doing their very best to muddy the waters further for folks trying to mate a tow vehicle to a rv. Boats & utility type trailers are NOT the same towing experience as a rv.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #29
bbells

I had a 5.7l navigator and it was the worst tv I have ever owned. Too short of wheelbase. Not enough power for your same size trailer.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And all the power in the world is useless if you can't control it.

Marshall used to have a lucrative position writing the pithy sayings found in fortune cookies! OK, for the OP: A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Hope that cleared things up! What was the original thread premise anyway?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #31
Pete54401

Go for it Frank. MY question though would be how and where are you driving your trailer? Highways, mining trails, cross country pulling it through the mountains or a 200 mile weekender? To those naysayers who want to trash the 4 cylinder Ecoboost they need to get up to speed on the changes in powertrain (engine and transmission) technology that have taken place in the past 7-10 years. It sounds like you've done your research and if using the 70/30 rule and most of your driving is non-trailering go for it. SAME engine in the Ranger is rated at 7,500 lb towing so the likely weak link here is not the engine but either suspension, tires or brakes so make sure you have your trailer braking optimized spot on. Regarding suspension, it all about weight and distribution and while you can go heavier ply tires that will impact your ride and handling in non-towing. It sounds like you know what you're doing. Give us an update down the road.
Pete54401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete54401 View Post
Go for it Frank. MY question though would be how and where are you driving your trailer? Highways, mining trails, cross country pulling it through the mountains or a 200 mile weekender? To those naysayers who want to trash the 4 cylinder Ecoboost they need to get up to speed on the changes in powertrain (engine and transmission) technology that have taken place in the past 7-10 years. It sounds like you've done your research and if using the 70/30 rule and most of your driving is non-trailering go for it. SAME engine in the Ranger is rated at 7,500 lb towing so the likely weak link here is not the engine but either suspension, tires or brakes so make sure you have your trailer braking optimized spot on. Regarding suspension, it all about weight and distribution and while you can go heavier ply tires that will impact your ride and handling in non-towing. It sounds like you know what you're doing. Give us an update down the road.
Yet another that doesn't understand that the max tow weight rating means ABSOLUTELY nothing if it doesn't have the payload to carry it, which this vehicle DOES NOT.
I have no doubt it will/can pull it, but can it do so safely within the lightweight limits of the vehicle during that 30%? I seriously doubt it!
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete54401 View Post

I figure you don't know your audience maybe. Rented a 2.3L Ecoboost for a couple of weeks in CO. Not impressed with it in the vehicle alone and certainly would not have considered putting a trailer behind it. Plus, I've owned quite a few new vehicles in the last 7-10 years and stay up on what's going on.....an Explorer of any kind isn't suitable for safe towing IMO.

What's this 70/30 rule? "If most of your driving is non-trailering go for it"? So I'm gathering if you don't use the tow vehicle to tow ALL the time then weights don't count? Safety? Lives? It matters not what the TV is or the load, the instant the load is dropped on the TV that vehicle needs to be fully capable of carrying and controlling that load whether it's across the yard or across the country. 70/30 has nothing to do with anything in the towing world.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #34
linux3

OK, 2016 Explorer 3.5 twin turbo.
Plenty of power actually more than my 2017 5.3 L Silverado.
My Explorer had plenty of HP but it didn't have enough A$$.
When a semi passed the whole rig would wag.
It's not just about ratings, it's about frame and mountings.
IMHO a Explorer just doesn't cut it,.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #35
notanlines

Somewhere there are many, many families towing 7-8000 lb RV's behind Rangers, Tacoma's and the like. Your job is to find shelter and avoid them.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #36
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yet another that doesn't understand that the max tow weight rating means ABSOLUTELY nothing if it doesn't have the payload to carry it, which this vehicle DOES NOT.
I have no doubt it will/can pull it, but can it do so safely within the lightweight limits of the vehicle during that 30%? I seriously doubt it!
You are wrong, so wrong. It will have payload to spare towing and loading what I plan to tow. Quit spreading Fake information, based on what? I am not intimidated by your inaccurate assessments. I hope others aren't either.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #37
Frank G

Some will find this post helpful others not so much. From the start I always intended to find a combination of a midsize SUV and TT that would fit the needs of the wife and I. In the process the two would have to be compatible and stay within ALL the numbers. All the technical information will be from the manufactures trailer towing guide and the specific owners manual. Lastly we and only we (the wife and I) know how much or little junk we will put aboard and where.

The Intended use of this setup is to provide us, a place to sleep, potty, and eat when on the road. No Walmart's, rest area's, or motels, only overnights in campgrounds. We live in Florida and have shelter in northern Ohio and upper lower Michigan. We travel to these locations in the summer months.

We did purchase a 2020Ford Explorer Limited 4x2(our 3rd Explorer). We are looking at a Forest River "R-Pod" RP-180 with one slideout, 6.5ft wide, 9.5ft tall UVW2950, CCC 882. For those interested check them out, Azdel siding, FG walk on roof, torsion axle, queen bed and much more. We will wait tell the Tampa RV show before doing anything.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Some will find this post helpful others not so much. From the start I always intended to find a combination of a midsize SUV and TT that would fit the needs of the wife and I. In the process the two would have to be compatible and stay within ALL the numbers. All the technical information will be from the manufactures trailer towing guide and the specific owners manual. Lastly we and only we (the wife and I) know how much or little junk we will put aboard and where.

The Intended use of this setup is to provide us, a place to sleep, potty, and eat when on the road. No Walmart's, rest area's, or motels, only overnights in campgrounds. We live in Florida and have shelter in northern Ohio and upper lower Michigan. We travel to these locations in the summer months.

We did purchase a 2020Ford Explorer Limited 4x2(our 3rd Explorer). We are looking at a Forest River "R-Pod" RP-180 with one slideout, 6.5ft wide, 9.5ft tall UVW2950, CCC 882. For those interested check them out, Azdel siding, FG walk on roof, torsion axle, queen bed and much more. We will wait tell the Tampa RV show before doing anything.
Frank I think the more important thing to consider is the build of that "Explorer". What is the payload and options? I figure the Rpod should be OK but the numbers always tell the tale. All Explorers are not meant to tow a regular RV, not Rpod. Even then, in my experience (having owned them), anything more than a lawn mower trailer would be a stretch. JMO
Old 12-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #39
travelin texans

Quote:
Some will find this post helpful others not so much. From the start I always intended to find a combination of a midsize SUV and TT that would fit the needs of the wife and I. In the process the two would have to be compatible and stay within ALL the numbers. All the technical information will be from the manufactures trailer towing guide and the specific owners manual. .
If concerned about false information those brochures, manuals & other literature always seem to be on the considerably lighter side of real world weights. The only worse place for that information would be a salesman.
The pertinent numbers you need are posted on the drivers door post of your Explorer & the drivers front corner of the chosen rv. Numbers from anywhere else are meaningless.
Good luck with your endeavor & stay safe!
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #40
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If concerned about false information those brochures, manuals & other literature always seem to be on the considerably lighter side of real world weights. The only worse place for that information would be a salesman.
The pertinent numbers you need are posted on the drivers door post of your Explorer & the drivers front corner of the chosen rv. Numbers from anywhere else are meaningless.
Good luck with your endeavor & stay safe!
FoMoCo has went to great lengths on how to interoperate the information contained in the "Trailer Towing Guide" and "Owners Manual" and vehicle information as posted on the "B" pillar stickers. This is the only source of information I trust. For all of you who consider the published GVW as gospel then you need to consider all other published numbers as gospel also. You can't pick and choose. FoMoCo also states that all numbers may not be achievable at the same time.

Let me change the conversation, stop with the number game for a moment. There is a large population of us out there that want to travel from point A to Point B as safely as possible. This means no restaurants, no public rest rooms, no motels and minimal interaction with others. In order to accomplish this we must tow the facilities with us, some of us are looking for smaller units. There are also the physical limitations of climbing into a full size P/U or similar vehicle. The Ford Explorer changed everything in 2020 when they went to rear wheel drive. For those that base towing experience on previous models you need rethink your position. I am a gambler, I am willing to accept failure, If I can't find something with a comfortable tow experience, we'll move on. Whatever we do it will be within the numbers. and that is my responsibility.

Tags
ford