Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
levic900rr

What's it like out there during Covid?

Hey Team,

My family and I have really been considering a winter road trip to the south eastern US. We live in Vermont which has ridiculously low Covid levels. I am pretty confident that we can stay quite isolated in the Passport with the one exception of grocery stores.

For any of you that have been on the road during this pandemic, do you feel like you can stay appropriately separated from other people? Does it feel safe out there?

We are considering heading south down to the Savanah GA area and just slowly making our way from there down to the south west of Florida with no solid plan. We'll just need to stay places with cell coverage so I can continue to work and my daughter can do her school work.

I cant decide wether to just go for it, or if we should hunker down and wait for things to mellow out, maybe hope for an early spring trip.

I'd love to leave VT at the end of January with no real timeframe for getting home.

Thoughts?
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I suggest you sit down and make some definite plans about where you want to stay, and dates. Then start contacting those places and check on vacancies, prices and cancellation fees.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Honestly, if you are trying to "run from Covid" stay home and have your groceries delivered. If you want to travel. and stay Covid free then my first advice is to find out as Chuck said where you want to go and availability. Not trying to be a wise guy but I don't think you're the first person that's had that idea and you're a little "late to the party" to find availability in the sun belt.

The secong major issue is what are you going to do for WiFi? Campground WiFi coverage can be very problematic and relying on it for your daughter streaming school classes all day and you working on line most likely won't work if you are depending on the cg WiFi.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Honestly, if you are trying to "run from Covid" stay home and have your groceries delivered. If you want to travel. and stay Covid free then my first advice is to find out as Chuck said where you want to go and availability. Not trying to be a wise guy but I don't think you're the first person that's had that idea and you're a little "late to the party" to find availability in the sun belt.

The secong major issue is what are you going to do for WiFi? Campground WiFi coverage can be very problematic and relying on it for your daughter streaming school classes all day and you working on line most likely won't work if you are depending on the cg WiFi.
Yeah man I hear you on both counts. We are trying to be realistic about Covid. I have checked a bunch of parks and resorts and there does appear to be sporadic availability. One thing I forgot to mention is I have some family in north central Florida with a full hookup site in their back yard. So I kind of have a backup plan if ever I find a stretch of time that I cant find a site.

On the internet side, I have a Verizon mifi and an ATT SIM card in my Winegard gateway so as long as I have decent cell service I can get what I need there. Typically when they're both active I hook up to Verizon and she uses ATT and we have enough bandwidth. If we can't do video for a day it's not the end of the world either.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The southeastern US is an extremely large area. Right now there are some significantly different "protocols" in place, most mandated by the state governor or state health department. Some states have "no restrictions" while some states are in "near lock-down conditions"... My DW's sister just returned from central Tennessee where she visited relatives for a couple of weeks. She related that in the town she visited, few, if any people were wearing masks or even social distancing.

In other states, masks are mandatory, bars are closed (or nearly closed) and restaurants are serving customers in very limited capacity.....

Depending on where you want to travel "in southeast USA" you will likely find a "night/day difference" as you cross state lines.....

Where and when are you planning to travel? If you have any specific plans, you might want to contact campgrounds around those areas to inquire if they are even open for business. Listing those plans on the forum will give members an idea of where and when you plan to travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

I wouldn't think Covid would be a huge consideration regardless of where you travel; inside your TV and then in the camper you will not encounter a lot of potential infection. When you shop or fill up the TV, stay socially distanced and wear the mask and you will be golden. I have noticed MANY of the parks around my part of Texas are JAMMED/SLAMMED. We went a week ago to a very RURAL park and it was FULL. Checked out some of the other parks in the area and they are FULL. Can't explain it but would make reservations to ensure a campground with an open spot. I HATE planning but it seems a good idea right now.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
travelin texans

HOPEFULLY, finger's crossed, this crap is over by January!
We've traveled by car a few times since all started & no issues with fuel, restaurants, or hotels, all of which were very clean. We wore mask even in places that the majority was not.
I agree with the others, be sure to call ahead for availability & use common sense, you should be fine. Go & enjoy!
I feel the majority of the country has had enough, I know I have & from what we've seen traveling the mask & social distancing is getting much more lax except for seasoned folks like us.
IMHO (not trying to start anything political or otherwise, just my opinion) this was a very serious issue back in Jan, Feb, March & April, but now, with all the hype, misinformation or lack of information, is more of a political & mostly financial thing, with both to be worse or better very soon.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Bill-2020

I live in Florida. The snowbirds have arrived from the northern states/Canada. Parks are filling up fast and sites were reserved many months ago, if not last year for this winter season.

We are headed north into TN for Thanksgiving - I had trouble getting a site a month ago up there for that week in November. Think what it'll be like in the warmer climate areas...
Old 10-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
notanlines

We have traveled in and through a total of 20 states since 1 June, covering almost 10,000 miles. We stayed in a few RV parks, never having any trouble finding room/slots, but mostly in motel rooms. Our trips weren't always towing. We found varying degrees of people social distancing. Generally it was more common, more space and more masks in larger metropolitan areas. Most restaurants had about half to two-thirds seating and masked wait staff. Chain restaurants were the most compliant.

I wouldn't hesitate to leave this very minute and tow the Suites another 10,000 miles. (I'd gladly have stayed in it rather than one more motel room) You'll have your RV so you can grocery shop and your daughter can do some of the cooking (fair's fair) and you can help with the dishes.

Be safe, wear your masks, gloved up for fuel, keep your distances, and avoid establishments (and people) who don't follow your protocol. Remember, 'The meek shall inherit the earth.' The rest of us will be on the road or at the beach!

On edit: We've stayed at Lone Pine just north of Burlington many times. Truly a great RV park to visit!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We have traveled in and through a total of 20 states since 1 June, covering almost 10,000 miles. We stayed in a few RV parks, never having any trouble finding room/slots, but mostly in motel rooms. Our trips weren't always towing. We found varying degrees of people social distancing. Generally it was more common, more space and more masks in larger metropolitan areas. Most restaurants had about half to two-thirds seating and masked wait staff. Chain restaurants were the most compliant.

I wouldn't hesitate to leave this very minute and tow the Suites another 10,000 miles. (I'd gladly have stayed in it rather than one more motel room) You'll have your RV so you can grocery shop and your daughter can do some of the cooking (fair's fair) and you can help with the dishes.

Be safe, wear your masks, gloved up for fuel, keep your distances, and avoid establishments (and people) who don't follow your protocol. Remember, 'The meek shall inherit the earth.' The rest of us will be on the road or at the beach!

On edit: We've stayed at Lone Pine just north of Burlington many times. Truly a great RV park to visit!
Jim awesome advice! I live really close to Lone Pine! Its a really beautiful area. Dont tell anyone about it though please
Old 10-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
K_N_L

We've been camping and traveling throughout the year (prolly close to 10K). Everyone has their own level of risk and should act accordingly to their health concerns. Most folks at the campgrounds we stayed at were considerate of others and keep a distance ie at pools and common areas. We didnt travel in March or April but started back in May once a few states returned to a more normal posture. Plan out your stops, the southern states of GA and FL are mostly back to normal and I would expect that a lot of northern escapees will be headed that way this winter as typical.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the previous posters; if you want to go, go; but now (actually months ago) was the time to make reservations. We don't worry about covid as long as WE take reasonable precautions. DW was just talking to one of our friends at the FL campground we go to (was supposed to be there Sunday but now it is Sunday week) and they both feel the same way - take care of yourself and all will be fine. We've traveled through many states this year multiple times and had no issues, or fears. As you travel, as has been stated, some places are more strict than others - sometimes state mandated, sometimes county or city. We don't worry about it and put on a mask if we go into an establishment that has very many folks. As far as masks, crowds, social distancing etc.; in the conversation DW had the lady, who is pretty phobic about it all, said she felt most comfortable in Walmart because you can stay distanced from everyone. Gas stations the same.

See if you can find those spots to reserve where you want to go and get on about it. RVing is about the safest thing I can think of for traveling, or even staying at home. They all have some sort of risk - who knows how much. Talked to a hospital chief of staff the other day and he said if we were stopping and testing millions upon millions of folks in drive thrus etc. we would be locking down the country over a flu epidemic - but we aren't.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
gearhead

We went to Knoxville Iowa from the Houston area in mid June. Made reservations a few days ahead, no problems.
Left in late July for Colorado. The governor of New Mexico had laid down some pretty strong restrictions that were difficult to interpret. I called the 1 campground we needed in NM and they said "come on". No problem. Do I have to quarantine like the gov said? Heck no.
Around my small town most people wear a mask in WalMart. In the hardware store most don't. I would guess Florida is about the same.
You just gotta go to Florida? Come to east Texas, you'll think it's a tropical paradise compared to Vermont.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #14
NH_Bulldog

We live nextdoor in NH. We took an extended trip to the midwest and the UP of Michigan, and spent over 45 nights on the road this year. There is no real difference in how you currently handle Covid in the 802, keep to yourself, wear a mask, use hand sanitizer and try to limit who is potentially exposing themselves to the virus. In our family, that is me. I gas up the truck, I do the shopping, I am the “face” of our family. I am a First Responder as well as a licensed Commercial pilot, so I tend to have more control and self-discipline than my wife or daughter (her words, not mine).

Our daughter is 7 and she was the most challenging part of the trip Covid-wise. Social distancing, not playing with other kids, staying off playgrounds, etc. are difficult concepts for kids who just want to be kids. She found her way though, and learned that she could have fun and still be safe, but no matter how safe you try to be, there are still risks.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:09 AM   #15
roadglide

I personally would stay near family with hook ups and pay your way. Deb and I finished 13,000 mile trip from New Mexico north Sturgis total sightseeing and managed visiting a couple of old Marines active on this forum. I traveled 17 states With in 96 days. The best place I stayed was real deal working 200 year old 500 acres of soybean and corn farm my cousin inherited. Camper was right up against cornfield beautiful country of Michigan. I don’t wear a mask or avoid crowds . I figured I survived quartzite crude of 2020 see what happens there for 2021.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:48 AM   #16
levic900rr

Thanks for all the feedback guys! We started booking sites over the weekend and are really excited! Now I just need to pray that the weather cooperates with our plans. I figure I just need about 14 hours of dry roads to punch out of the north!
Old 11-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #17
Dallasrules

I live in Rural Virginia. We have camped 2 1/2 months out of the year so far. In April and June/July. I have had 2 surgeries. Also, just flew to Arizona for a week where we were in public pools and hot tubs. I rarely wear a mask anywhere in or near my hometown. We frequently have family gatherings. My daughter stays at friends houses and they stay here often. We eat out regularly.. I do not personally know anyone who has had covid or knows anyone that has had it. We basically live a normal life.

I think camping is pretty safe. You Don't have to have close contact with anyone you don't want to. Wear a mask when you go to the store and keep your distance from anyone not wearing a mask. I say live your life. Anything could happen at any time and you might not get another chance.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I live in Florida. The snowbirds have arrived from the northern states/Canada. Parks are filling up fast and sites were reserved many months ago, if not last year for this winter season.

We are headed north into TN for Thanksgiving - I had trouble getting a site a month ago up there for that week in November. Think what it'll be like in the warmer climate areas...
Not from Canada, they are all here in BC. The border is closed in both directions and has been since April at least. Probably will be for as many months as it takes the USA and now even Canada to flatten the curve.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
HOPEFULLY, finger's crossed, this crap is over by January!
We've traveled by car a few times since all started & no issues with fuel, restaurants, or hotels, all of which were very clean. We wore mask even in places that the majority was not.
I agree with the others, be sure to call ahead for availability & use common sense, you should be fine. Go & enjoy!
I feel the majority of the country has had enough, I know I have & from what we've seen traveling the mask & social distancing is getting much more lax except for seasoned folks like us.
IMHO (not trying to start anything political or otherwise, just my opinion) this was a very serious issue back in Jan, Feb, March & April, but now, with all the hype, misinformation or lack of information, is more of a political & mostly financial thing, with both to be worse or better very soon.
I had to check your post date. The USA covid new daily rate has set a new record every day for a week now. I don't know where you get your information from but it is highly flawed. Some optimistic estimates for vaccine availability run from May 2021 to fall 2021. That means your Jan date is either bang on for 2022 or highly optimistic in the second case as it will take at least 6 months to roll out the vaccine.
Here is the Johns Hopkins website with the info
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #20
pdaniel

We traveled during covid. Found some RV parks about 50% full, others around some national parks, full.
Yes, you can socially distance and the RV parks we stayed in did not allow in-person check-in or required masks and distancing in their offices.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote