Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
rvwonderful

Why there is no way to hold RV to campsite to prevent being flipped over by tornado?

There are many tornadoes and hurricanes every year. Usually there are shelters in campgrounds. But there is no way to hold RV to campsite ground to prevent being flipped over by tornadoes/hurricanes.

Thinking of some chains that can hold RVs firmly to campsite ground. Why RVs and campground do not have that kind of mechanism already? Is there a way?
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What would you attach the chain too? If you just chain down the frame then the entire "box" would probably land in OZ. Running a set of chains over the front and back would probably have the same end result.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
notanlines

RVW, if you’ve ever been in a bad tornado you would know that if an average RV were to be chained in ten locations all that would be left would be the chains and half the frame they were attached to. An F4 or F5 would drive objects clean through a block building and never miss a lick.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Javi

Having lived in close proximity to both for most of 70 years and having been in the path of more than a couple of each... if one of either is heading for you and you got no place to run... you do what we did in the early 60's and the Cuban Missile Crisis... bend over, grab your ankles and kiss your butt goodbye.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

There is NO way to protect an RV from a tornado or hurricane - you either leave the area if you have warning (hurricane) or pray you aren't in one (tornado). If a S&B house built of brick, 2x6 exterior walls etc., permanently attached to a concrete foundation can be demolished and just disappear....what exactly would you do to hold a carboard box sitting on tires in place? Impossible. It would probably be a great benefit to you to look at some aftermath pictures/videos of tornadoes and hurricanes. Of anything/everything impacted RVs/mobile homes (with actual anchors) are the first destroyed and suffer the greatest damage - to the structure, contents and inhabitants.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
rvwonderful

From tornado aftermath videos, it seems that houses destroyed were built with wood, and concrete buildings in city downtown area are safe. Is this true?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

They are "safer" but not safe. I've seen an entire 40 story building that had to be demolished because an F5 twisted the structure.

I thought the question, from an RV perspective, was trying to save an RV from a tornado or hurricane. Are you contemplating moving into a high rise instead to be safe?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwonderful View Post
From tornado aftermath videos, it seems that houses destroyed were built with wood, and concrete buildings in city downtown area are safe. Is this true?
Nope... F4 and F5 will pretty much damage anything in their path. And a 4 or 5 hurricane either blows it over or floods it. Look up photos of Sandy, or Carla in the 50's
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
rvwonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
They are "safer" but not safe. I've seen an entire 40 story building that had to be demolished because an F5 twisted the structure.

I thought the question, from an RV perspective, was trying to save an RV from a tornado or hurricane. Are you contemplating moving into a high rise instead to be safe?
Yes. thinking of how to save RVs from tornado/hurricane.

If tornado is that powerful, seems nothing can be done about it. The best way is to avoid it in the first place. Is there somewhere listing tornado/hurricane seasons(e.g, which month to which month) state by state?
Old 10-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
BeagleMan

Quote:

If tornado is that powerful, seems nothing can be done about it. The best way is to avoid it in the first place. Is there somewhere listing tornado/hurricane seasons(e.g, which month to which month) state by state?
Hurricane Season is June to November every year. Tornado season is variable. Determined by area of the country. In the Southeast, its December to April. Mid America, April to June. Upper America rarely see tornadoes. But, it does happen.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

You are correct; there is absolutely nothing, period, that can be done to save an RV from a hurricane or tornado. You must avoid it completely to avoid damage or injury.

You would need to do some homework on both tornadoes and hurricanes - there is a hurricane "season" but they can happen outside that timeframe. Tornadoes can happen almost year round but generally not in winter. There are certain areas of the country more prone to tornado activity due to geographics but they are not exclusive to those areas. Bottom line; a tornado happens with short warning. If in the daytime you might have time to avoid it or get in a tornado shelter; nighttime - have a cast iron tub or shelter to jump in - the RV will be completely destroyed. A hurricane forms over many weeks and you have lots of time to move out prior to landfall.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
rvwonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You are correct; there is absolutely nothing, period, that can be done to save an RV from a hurricane or tornado. You must avoid it completely to avoid damage or injury.

You would need to do some homework on both tornadoes and hurricanes - there is a hurricane "season" but they can happen outside that timeframe. Tornadoes can happen almost year round but generally not in winter. There are certain areas of the country more prone to tornado activity due to geographics but they are not exclusive to those areas. Bottom line; a tornado happens with short warning. If in the daytime you might have time to avoid it or get in a tornado shelter; nighttime - have a cast iron tub or shelter to jump in - the RV will be completely destroyed. A hurricane forms over many weeks and you have lots of time to move out prior to landfall.
Nighttime, where to find such cast iron tub or shelter to jump in? installed inside RV? thanks.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #13
Frank G

When I plan a trip, any time of the year, about a week before departure I start looking at forecasts all along the way. When red flags start appearing I pay special attention to the situation and start advising the DW to possible delays. These may include storms, rain or snow or Ice, wind, and fog. The NWS now has storm and tornado probability maps. Driving into a Hurricane qualifies one for a special award. If you properly set up your cell phone it will give all kinds of alerts. GPS's are all different, some, properly paired with subscriptions can display weather along the way. There are many ways to stay out of harms way, in the end it is up to you.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
There are many tornadoes and hurricanes every year. Usually there are shelters in campgrounds. But there is no way to hold RV to campsite ground to prevent being flipped over by tornadoes/hurricanes.

Thinking of some chains that can hold RVs firmly to campsite ground. Why RVs and campground do not have that kind of mechanism already? Is there a way?
According to your profile you live in NYC, NY. Where do you live in the Burroughs and where do you propose to keep a truck and trailer? Just curious...
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #15
NH_Bulldog

To add some perspective to tornadoes versus RV’s. I have been on the ground for every major catastrophic weather event for the last 20 years. One notable experience was Decatur, AL in 2011. I was at a clients house (or where the house used to be). All that was left was the foundation crawl space. They were in an open area where you could see 1 mile in every direction. The homeowner points to a rectangular dirt spot across the road and tells me that there used to be a 14x70 mobile home there, anchored to the ground with screw anchors, straps, etc. He tells me; look around at all these open fields, do you see even a scrap of my house or that trailer? Nope, no I don’t I said. He says; Mother nature don’t give a damn about our feeble attempts to control her, she gonna do what she gonna do, and a smart man knows when to run away.

No RV in the world will even remotely stand up to a tornado.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

From what I have seen on tv news is it seems that those events hit manufactured home parks a lot. I would just avoid camping in those places and your odds will be better. Or camp in a refitted armored truck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #17
BeagleMan

Quote:
Nighttime, where to find such cast iron tub or shelter to jump in? installed inside RV? thanks.
Me thinks this guy is a troll. No one in their right mind would ask such a thing. If he is from NYC, he is showing some very dim colors.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Me thinks this guy is a troll. No one in their right mind would ask such a thing. If he is from NYC, he is showing some very dim colors.
I’m not thinking the same thing. There are people that ask questions in all Ernest, not truly knowing a lot. You should hear some of the questions I get at walk throughs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #19
gearhead

Don't worry over it. Set your cell phone to receive weather alerts. Buy a radio that sounds tornado alerts. I've lived through every hurricane that hit the upper Texas coast since 1950. You're more likely to get killed in a head on crash with a Kenworth.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Some people are like inquisitive children. You answer one question and they ask six more. When they start to "run out of questions" they start with the "Why?".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent