Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
pineappleexpress

2008 super duty series "engine power reduced"

We recently were hauling our 5er, lightly loaded, from MN to WI out 94E. There are slight uphill grades but nothing that should have raised an eyebrow. I noticed from the get go that if I wasn't using the cruise control it seemed to lack some "go power". Any time I'd have to give it a lil more my boost would run anywhere from 2.8 to 3.5 or so. My truck is bone stock, no upgrades or tuners.

Coming into Baldwin, WI there's a stretch that's a lil longer of a hill, again, nothing that should have raised concern. No temps were overheating, boost running at about 3.2 - 3.5, running at 60-65mph and the truck goes into limp mode. I get the wrench on the dash light and error reading "engine power reduced". I was limited to 45mph so I pulled off, shut it down and waiting 20 minutes. After that, restart, get going and there were no issues.

Started reading some ford tech forums, and brought the truck into a dealership which confirmed an over boost code error and waste gates were operating as normal. I find out here was a program from Ford for the ECU to fix something else. When the program was written it didn't take into account for towing heavy loads on hills. Consequently when you tow loads up mild to increased grades with and kind of duration this program goes into limp mode to save the turbos.

So, I'm getting the most recent flash for the ECU done this week which should remedy the issue and I'll report back since I'll be taking the same route shortly.
2012 Cougar 330RBK polar package
pineappleexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Old Mustanger

Had a similar issue with our 2015 F250 only it didn't go into limp mode, it would just shut down without any warning, did it 3 times on a trip from TX to MD. Error code indicated over boost, got it re-flashed while in MD and never happened again.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Happycamper2018

what kind of miles you have on your trucks , im running an 08, 6.4 with 74000 and im wondering if i should be looking for a newer truck . excellent shape never beat Arizona truck , change oil 5000 miles fuel filters . just afraid of bad things happening
Happycamper2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think I remember reading "somewhere" that the computer monitors EGT and boost. If the boost goes up and the EGT doesn't follow "appropriately" the computer anticipates a problem and goes into "reduced power" to prevent continued "high performance operation". Once the truck is shut down and allowed to "reset" it performs normally.....

Not sure if this might be what you experienced, but if you were on a long climb and the boost was increased, the computer may have seen the EGT either too low or too high and reduced power... Computer "glitch" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Some folks replace the EGT valve as a matter of maintenance and some just delete which will cause you to find a tuner to eliminate the check engine light that will occur if you do. Folks with a diesel should visit powerstroke.org and ask around there for opinions.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #6
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper2018 View Post
what kind of miles you have on your trucks , im running an 08, 6.4 with 74000 and im wondering if i should be looking for a newer truck . excellent shape never beat Arizona truck , change oil 5000 miles fuel filters . just afraid of bad things happening
Sort of off topic, but to speak to the above, we had a 2008 F450 with a bumper-to-bumper warrantee. It just seemed like it spent a lot of time in the shop after every major trip - it was something. The dealer finally talked us into buying a 1 year old F350 DRW. All I can say is that if you can afford a newer truck (e.g. 2017 or newer), you will SHOCKED at the difference in pulling power, engine braking, etc. For us, they were miles different in performance & capabilities. And the switch to DRW with the added payload was an added blessing!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
pineappleexpress

Very glad to report we've made this same trip 3 times now since the initial issue. We had brought it into the dealership where after reading the code it was in fact a ECM code flash issue that was reading an over boost. The new flash to the ECM worked like a charm and I pull with zero hesitation and no fault codes. My T.V. has 101k on it for reference.
2012 Cougar 330RBK polar package
pineappleexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
Happycamper2018

i bought mine with 46 000 on it and it never pulled anything its like the day it rolled off assembly line im just scared of the 6.4 . i only pull about 10000 total. you ever have a differential problem, some funny noises
Happycamper2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power