Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
Weski2

Battery ground

I have a outback 335cg toy hauler. We installed solar. Did not use front battery. It was removed and now we run off our lithium solar system.

We are having a problem moving slides and using leveling system after removing front battery. Everything else works great.

We ran a positive wire to solar system. But not ground wire.

Where does the front battery ground run too? What is it grounded to?

Will run a new ground wire to the solar if I can find the location in the front.

Picture of your battery ground would help.

Thanks Jim
Weski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #2
Canonman

When you removed the tongue mounted battery, what did you do with the cables. Typically, the ground would have run directly to the trailer frame. I'd look there first.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your solar panel should have a positive AND negative lead that connect to a controller. From there there should be a positive AND negative cable to the battery.

ALL grounds AC and DC should be grounded to the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:22 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You got me wondering:

Is there any battery installed?

What did you hook up the positive wire to besides the solar panel?

Not to be a smart butt, but I get the feeling your not real familiar with how the solar system is designed to work in an RV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You got me wondering:

Is there any battery installed?

What did you hook up the positive wire to besides the solar panel?

Not to be a smart butt, but I get the feeling your not real familiar with how the solar system is designed to work in an RV.

I'm sorry, I had the same thought, I was under the assumption that the slide amongst some other things in the RV required the battery or shore power if no battery installed. The solar is just there to "recharge" the batteries. Plz correct me if I'm wrong.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:12 AM   #6
Weski2

Battery ground wire

The red house battery wire was run to the lithium battery bank. The black wire from the house battery was removed.
I can't find where it should have been connected to a ground. The lithium battery bank is grounded to the frame. But not to where the house battery was grounded.

I'm looking for where the front battery was wired.

That seems to be the reason for no power to the slides and leveling.

If some could send a picture of that negative house battery ground location. I didn't remover the house battery so I don't know how it was wired. Now it's gone.
Weski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #7
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I'm sorry, I had the same thought, I was under the assumption that the slide amongst some other things in the RV required the battery or shore power if no battery installed. The solar is just there to "recharge" the batteries. Plz correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. Batteries are "required". In fact, due to the amp load of some slide motors, they may not operate properly with out the battery in place.
I think of the solar as a trickle charger for the batteries and not the actual power source for the trailer.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weski2 View Post
The red house battery wire was run to the lithium battery bank. The black wire from the house battery was removed.
I can't find where it should have been connected to a ground. The lithium battery bank is grounded to the frame. But not to where the house battery was grounded.

If some could send a picture of that negative house battery ground location. I didn't remover the house battery so I don't know how it was wired. Now it's gone.
Ground the lithium bank to the frame of the trailer.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #9
WDPatterson

Quote:

Where is your hydraulic pump mounted for your slides?
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:57 PM   #10
WDPatterson

Quote:
I have a outback 335cg toy hauler. We installed solar. Did not use front battery. It was removed and now we run off our lithium solar system.

We are having a problem moving slides and using leveling system after removing front battery. Everything else works great.

Will run a new ground wire to the solar if I can find the location in the front.

Thanks Jim
Your PV panels should have a one positive and one negative wire running to the charge controller. The charge controller has separate positive and negative leads coming out of it to the batteries. From the batteries, you put leads to your trailer load (+) and ground (-).
Do you remember where they used to have your old battery?
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:53 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks Jim
The red part of your question is, I think, the problem.... You say,
"We installed solar" (so this is not a standard Keystone solar system?)

"Did not use the front battery" (So you disconnected it? Threw it away or put it in the garage, and now you're trying to reinstall that battery or are you trying to use that cable to connect to the "new solar system" or are just what are you trying to do with that cable???)

"It was removed and now we run off our lithium solar system." So, "You eliminated the OEM front battery and disconnected all the wiring? What part (if any) did you keep and connect to your modified solar system, and where did you connect those OEM wires? And, finally, which lithium solar system" did you install and how did you install it? Did you still use the Giggy Box (assuming your trailer is a recent model with that OEM equipment"

So, depending on "what you did to eliminate the OEM battery electrical wiring" and whether you replaced it with "a large enough lithium solar system" (some people have installed a small, 25 watt solar system with a "cell phone sized battery" like the ones used to power a single LED security light).. Others have installed "very large 400-1000 watt solar systems with 2, 3 or 4 100 amp hour lithium batteries, which would be capable of replacing the OEM battery system. Depending on "what you installed" it may be a replacement for the OEM battery, it may be intended to augment what you disconnected or it may be intended to replace the OEM system....

What "lithium solar system" did you install? What are the specifications for "that system's lithium battery bank" ??? and What are you now trying to do? Are you attempting to "reinstall the OEM system" or are you "just looking to determine where to reattach the ground wire? If you're looking to "just reattach the ground wire" then with the OEM battery removed from the system, where are you going to connect the other end of that cable?????

Lots of questions, I realize that, but "the ultimate questions are:

What did you do to remove the OEM battery from the system and how is connecting that "cable from a removed battery" going to do with your "new and not OEM solar system" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery