Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Twisties

Install Inverter in 2020 Cougar - Solar Ready

So, we might buy a 5'er tomorrow and one concern is that I use a CPAP, so I must have either 24V dc or pure sine 120V AC if I am to sleep...

Seems like the dealer wants $$$ to install an inverter. Seems like the unit is said to be pre-wired for this. Seems like I could buy an inverter for not too much and put it in myself.

Tomorrow we are looking at a Cougar 315 RLS (most likely will take this), a Cougar Half-ton 30 RLS and also a 29RKS. There is also a chance we might go with a 2019 315 RLS...

Is this just plug and play, or how do I find what I need to know about this? I'm reasonably competent at normal house wiring, but have never had my hands on an RV.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We don’t sell your model, but it would be rare for a unit to come “prewired” for an inverter. Installing one isn’t that hard, and you have a couple options. We can guide you through the installation since you’ve said your good residential work. RV is just a house on wheels.

Decide which one your going to purchase, verify if it’s prewired. DONT ask the salesperson make the service tech or mgr SHOW you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Those units do not come with an inverter installed, only a rudimentary solar charging line.

Usually they locate the inverter near the battery because of the requirement for a heavy guage (10 gauge +) DC connection line. Then the AC output wire is run into the camper, sometimes to a dedicated AC outlet or to the AC/DC wiring distribution box

If your CPAP AC requirements are low you might be able to use an existing 12 volt cigarette plug and connect a small inverter to it? I tried doing that with a small TV once and the inverter just couldn't get the DC power required to power up the inverter.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

I got a 12v power adapter for my CPAP. I don't know what the voltage/power requirements are for my CPAP, but allowing for 12v operation is pretty common, so there should be an adapter available for your machine as well. It's going to be expensive ($100+) but less than putting in an Inverter system.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m installing an inverter in a new unit for a customer that uses a Cpap machine and only has gen power during the day.

IIRC the machine draws about 75W. Beside the right size inverter, you need to consider upgrading the battery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

What Chuck said. A single 12V battery will not make it thru the night with that load plus running the other demands i.e the fridge and hot water controls, lights, CO detector, radio, water pump and other parasitic drains.

Check the wattage on the CPAP then look at an inverter that has running watts higher than that. When you find a "suitable" inverter then check the DC running watts, that's what the battery will have to support for the number of hours times the number of days used.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
jim1

Hi .just to let you know our 2019 315RLS has a couple of USB charging ports in the closet up close to the headboard end of the bed. You might be able to use one of them for your Darth Vader mask. And by the way we love our 315 RLS even though we have had a few minor inconveniences.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Twisties

As I understand it, these units have three standard outlets pre-wired for service from an inverter, and the connection is said to be in the basement compartment.

The cpap itself doesn't take much. I have run them overnight with a 10.5 amp hour battery before. But, nowadays they have heated humidifiers and heated hoses.... you can turn off the heat if you need to, however.

I think the units come with two batteries, and at least one dealer nearby offers to convert that to 6V. I haven't talked to the dealer with the 315 about a 6V conversion.

It would seem that for two 12 V batteries you would just hook them in parallel and for two 6V batteries you would hook them in series, or am I missing something? Anyway, it seems two 12V batteries at 70 ah each would net you about 140 ah, and two 6V at 200 ah each would net you 200 ah?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi .just to let you know our 2019 315RLS has a couple of USB charging ports in the closet up close to the headboard end of the bed. You might be able to use one of them for your Darth Vader mask. And by the way we love our 315 RLS even though we have had a few minor inconveniences.

Nah, can't use USB. I could use a regular 12V cigarette lighter outlet and a small inverter (which I already have and use for car camping), but I don't think the 2020's have a 12V. I'll look when I get there this afternoon.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
GeekSquadOfUn

I have a 2019 315RLS and also use a CPAP (ResMED AirSense 24V)

First and foremost the so-called Solar Prep is BS. It's a small gauge wire that runs from the special connector in the utility bay to the battery with a 10A fuse. That's it.

In order to have a Solar, you need a solar panel, ideally a solar charge controller, the male connector for that special connector in the bay. Lots of additional wiring then.

Second, there is no inverter prep, nothing. You may have 1 battery or 2 - depending on what your dealer sells you, but typically there's a 12V marine/RV Group 24 battery. I have removed it and installed 2 Costco 6V golf cart batteries.

I installed a 1000W pure sine inverter right above my batteries and installed a connection for my CPAP, which happens to be right above it in the bedroom closet.

Only when Dry Camping, I turn OFF the heated water humidifier and do not use the heated hose, as these would pull too much and run my batteries down. I use the ResMED adapter as usual. Works fine.

I plan to run another electrical wire from the inverter to my living room eventually for my TV, that is on my todo list...

In the pic you can see my Solar charge controller, screwed to the side above the connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190713_103813.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	24523  
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
Logan X

Twisties,

You are correct with the batteries, 2 12v batteries are connected in parallel and 2 6v batteries are connected in series. 6v batteries are the popular choice, it is what I have and I’m very happy with it.

You may have a 12v outlet near the television area (that is usually where a 12v outlet would be if you have one) that you may be able to plug your small inverter (you said you had for car camping) into. This is also what I do although I’m not running a CPAP with it, I’m just running the TV. If you use that option, make sure the outlet can handle the load you are putting on it.

Real quick about the batteries, you shouldn’t discharge the batteries more than 50% or you will damage them. So for a 200ah set up, you only have 100 usable amp hours.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

Each time I hear of someone running their CPAP while boondocking, I hear they use an Inverter and run the machine using it's 120v power cable.

Why do folks not get the 12V adapter cable for their CPAP (assuming one is available) and run without the Inverter? Wouldn't the direct 12V connection use less power than going through the Inverter?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Each time I hear of someone running their CPAP while boondocking, I hear they use an Inverter and run the machine using it's 120v power cable.

Why do folks not get the 12V adapter cable for their CPAP (assuming one is available) and run without the Inverter? Wouldn't the direct 12V connection use less power than going through the Inverter?
I'll double check to see if such a thing is available. I've been on CPAP since 1998 and I can say that it keeps getting easier and more pre-packaged products are always coming out. Long gone are the days when you needed to be an electrical engineer to run these things away from shore power. That said, the older units ran on 12V and direct wire cables were available. I have not seen one for the newer 24V units. I have a fairly large Li-Ion battery with a proprietary 24V converter that I use for up to two nights, then it's car batteries and inverter.... and the unit's power supply to convert it back to dc and 24V.... super inefficient, I know.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
Twisties

Hmmmm...... yep, there is a 12V to CPAP machine product for $89. Who knew! Looks like this issue is solved, unless I want to watch tv... LOL...

Edit: and an aftermarket one on Amazon for $34.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

I plan on going with an Inverter for my TV, but other components, like the CPAP and the gadgets in the entertainment closet, I plan to buy/build 12V adapters for, just to try to keep the power usage as low as possible (and still use the gadgets ).
Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

My unit air AirSense from ResMED needs 24V and I think it's by design, they want customers to buy their super expensive battery pack.

If you have an inverter, there's nothing wrong in using it to power the AC adapter provided. No need to buy or install anything else.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Hmmmm...... yep, there is a 12V to CPAP machine product for $89. Who knew! Looks like this issue is solved, unless I want to watch tv... LOL...

Edit: and an aftermarket one on Amazon for $34.
Do you have links to those? I'm curious, never seen one for 24V... I thought your CPAP was a 24V too
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #18
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Do you have links to those? I'm curious, never seen one for 24V... I thought your CPAP was a 24V too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...ve-10-machines
Old 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
GeekSquadOfUn

Well that 12v cigarette adapter at $34 wins the prize for me.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #20
Nate805

I add two 6v deep cycle batteries and an inverter to my 2018 Cougar 29BHS when I bought it new a year ago. Cost me about $1k to do
It myself. The batteries were the bulk of the cost as I wanted something very reliable. Nothing was “pre-wired”. Batteries and inverter only took two hours to install. I can now run low wattage electronics, cell phone chargers, etc. without shore power. Can run it overnight and then charge the batteries back up with a generator on the morning. Technically, I can run more as power goes to appliances, TV, etc.. but with only 2x 6 volt batteries, they burn out fast if I do all that. You’d really need 4 - 6 batteries plus solar to run large electronics for any significant duration.

How many watts is your CPAP?
Nate805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, inverter, solar