Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #61
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremcomtru View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for your honest feedback...it's what I want to hear and will have Hubby read and look at the technical parts.

I thought I would be hearing yes, yes, yes but I'm happy for your honesty.

I guess with this not so mighty tow vehicle, the best thing would be a tent trailer, or single axle TT....so sad you F150 Minnie Mouse.

In the beginning we intended to live in the TT on property...Mother-in law and her small dog moved in a few months ago...we gave her our master bed/bath and wanted to have our own space but it seems we've adjusted and things are going much better than we thought. Now, there's no need to live in the trailer. I would still like to travel to other states at some point so a nicer trailer would have been great.

Yes, I'm clinging to this tow vehicle and just trying to make it work. We've never camped so hubby decided to buy something smaller and just get out there. If we like camping HOPEFULLY we can afford to make changes later as needed, and if we don't we didn't spend as much, can sell the trailer, and keep the truck that he likes. The alternative is traveling in our Subaru and staying in hotels or vacation rentals/airbnbs. It might even be less expensive in the long run wouldn't allow me to be out in nature the way I'd like.

I agree with renting a trailer to test but hubby, not so much so. Perhaps he'll agree after reading the posts.

This is the closest I could get the TV to the theater seating of all the other floor plans. I'm one eyed so I would prefer it right in front of me. I could see watching dvds while out camping if I can see it without straining my eyes. There were a few floorplans with the TV right in front but didn't have a dinette that hubby wants.

I also agree with the bedroom curtain rather than a wall/door. Hubby gets up earlier than I, and the noise reduction would have been great!

I'm not sure if we'll stick our little chi in the pet kennel, if so, I'll remove the door. About 7lbs, she only needs a tiny bed for sleeping. But it's a nice option just in case I need to crate her for any reason.

The 26RKS, ticked all the boxes and would have been my home away from home, I love that TT and wouldn't foresee a need to ever change...but camping doesn't have to luxurious right?
With something smaller and not as nice, I can still get out there and see the beauty, have a roof over my head, and camp simply and so much better than a tent. I must see my cup half full and not half empty.

I'm bound and determined to get out there to enjoy the beauty but want to tow safely and responsibly. I'll have hubby look at the technical questions asked.
Thank you for your help! I'll report back after we discuss this more.
Did you intend on taking the camper to a specific site and leaving it there or would you be interested in traveling to different sites? If one site, pay a trailer mover to set it up for you and keep your truck! In any case, I also suggest it isn't a bad idea to buy a used camper; you will learn your druthers only after staying in the camper through different seasons and can then judge what the ideal floorplan might look like as well as features.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #62
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
In your original post, you indicate you plan to live in this unit. Are you really going to be happy with this rig? If you think so, invest the time/funds to test that theory with a rental rig!
^ This.

I have a friend with wanderlust, no truck, and zero RV experience who recently sold his house in suburbia and jumped into fulltiming. He bought a used 25' TT, had me tow it into our small park, and moved into it with his DW, two medium dogs, and two cats. After spending time and money repairing everything that needed repairing (new converter, batteries, anode rod, pressure relief valve, door lock, door window, and more) he decided that the rig was too claustrophobic for them. It took him only three weeks to determine this.

He moved his rig to a storage location, went out and bought a used 36' 5er, moved it in, transferred all his stuff, and put the old rig on the market (in better shape than he bought it). Fortunately, I had bent his ear enough about weight problems prior to his buying his own TV, so he had picked up a used F-350, and had all the muscle he needed to haul the new rig.

Now he's on a brand new repair jag, but he's way happier with the space (though one cat, who hates change, has snapped and is now hiding under the hollow couch where no one can reach her.)

My point is, in only two to four weeks, you can pretty much determine by renting a rig whether or not you can put up with one like it.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #63
TTPRITCHARD

We tow a Cougar 26rks

Just sharing my thoughts on pulling our 2019 cougar 26RKS for 1 year. 1st of all, we tow it with a GMC sierra 2500 Duramax. Fully agree with all other comments that a 1/2 would be really challenging. Before owning the Cougar 26RKS we had a Premier 22RBS, which our tundra 1500 pulled just fine. Keystone Premiers are lighter and more aerodynamic which makes it much easier to tow. We decided to upgrade the floor plan and went for the lovely Cougar 26RKS, which is 4 ft longer. It pulls significantly heavier, it is lower to the ground and not as aerodynamic. Out of the dealer we felt the difference. It is still very towable but my husband was definitely happy that we were pulling with a 3/4 ton. We LOVE our camper and aside from a furnace issue that had to be serviced during warranty, we have not had any major issues in the year we have owned it. Highly recommend this trailer. As far as electric jacks, we really like it and have not had any issues. We did however add skid wheels to the back bumper to prevent hitting the jacks while pulling through ramps. Keep in mind that this trailer has 2 gray tanks and you will need to flush each tank separately. Not a deal breaker for us but for others it me be. Overall, very nice camper, but like other comments, you will likely have challenges pulling with a 1500 - dealers will tell you that this is a 1/2 ton Towable trailer, but it is not. For the size, this camper is significantly heavier than others in same size. Hope this helps!
TTPRITCHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #64
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTPRITCHARD View Post
Just sharing my thoughts on pulling our 2019 cougar 26RKS for 1 year. 1st of all, we tow it with a GMC sierra 2500 Duramax. Fully agree with all other comments that a 1/2 would be really challenging. Before owning the Cougar 26RKS we had a Premier 22RBS, which our tundra 1500 pulled just fine. Keystone Premiers are lighter and more aerodynamic which makes it much easier to tow. We decided to upgrade the floor plan and went for the lovely Cougar 26RKS, which is 4 ft longer. It pulls significantly heavier, it is lower to the ground and not as aerodynamic. Out of the dealer we felt the difference. It is still very towable but my husband was definitely happy that we were pulling with a 3/4 ton. We LOVE our camper and aside from a furnace issue that had to be serviced during warranty, we have not had any major issues in the year we have owned it. Highly recommend this trailer. As far as electric jacks, we really like it and have not had any issues. We did however add skid wheels to the back bumper to prevent hitting the jacks while pulling through ramps. Keep in mind that this trailer has 2 gray tanks and you will need to flush each tank separately. Not a deal breaker for us but for others it me be. Overall, very nice camper, but like other comments, you will likely have challenges pulling with a 1500 - dealers will tell you that this is a 1/2 ton Towable trailer, but it is not. For the size, this camper is significantly heavier than others in same size. Hope this helps!
One thing you mentioned kind of made me take note. You said you had two gray tanks that have to be flushed separately. Why would you flush a tank with gray water? No solids in these tanks. If you are talking about emptying these tanks and one has a handle that is in a most awkward position, put a Valterra valve on the outlet dump valve (if your trailer has only one dump valve) and you can pretty much leave the handle on the hard to read tank open. Keep in mind when you pull the handle on the Valterra outer dump valve the gray tank will dump.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #65
TTPRITCHARD

Yeah, we have considered different solutions to consolidate dumping into one lever... this trailer has 2 gray tanks, each 30 gallons, and 1 black tank 30gallon. The valves are separate with two pulls, bathroom black + gray and kitchen gray. Unfortunately for us they are also very apart to easily consolidate. Bummer.
TTPRITCHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #66
flybouy
Site Team

As to "dumping into one lever" I think you'll find the challenge of the the two gray tanks being too far apart to get the proper fall. Most folks connect two hoses with a "Y" connection.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTPRITCHARD View Post
Yeah, we have considered different solutions to consolidate dumping into one lever... this trailer has 2 gray tanks, each 30 gallons, and 1 black tank 30gallon. The valves are separate with two pulls, bathroom black + gray and kitchen gray. Unfortunately for us they are also very apart to easily consolidate. Bummer.
I also have a Cougar XLite with two gray tanks. One is "up front with the black tank valve, the galley gray tank valve is "buried mid point under the slide and "impossible to reach without crawling under the trailer.

I "solved the problem" by purchasing a terminal valve to install on the sewer exit. Now, I leave the galley gray valve open (all the time) and use that terminal exit valve as the "galley gray valve".

When dumping tanks, I pull the terminal valve. That empties the galley tank. I then pull the black tank valve and empty the black tank. Then I close the black tank valve and pull the bath gray valve to empty that tank and flush the sewer lines/hoses with the "cleanest dirty water".

Except for some "special purpose use" (like equalizing tanks during dry camping) I haven't touched the "hard to reach valve" in the past 4 or 5 years.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar