Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #21
Chris P

My grand Cherokee and my son in laws Ram ecodiesel draws 3.2 amps
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Thanks for looking up the manual. I haven’t had time to dig into the glove box

I used to have a timer on my 7.3. It was inline with the extension cord. Pluged it into wall, then ran cord out to truck. I’m no electrician, so don’t know amp draw and if an outdoor timer would be enough for the block heaters. It worked well with the 1997 I had and the 1999, 2001.
It looks like the power consumption according to Ford is 0.4-1.0 kilowatt/hour. At 120 VAC that equates to somewhere between 3.5-8.5 amps. So a 10 amp (1200 watt) timer capacity would be enough. If it's an outside plug, then protect the timer from the weather.

The info is on pages 180-185 or around there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #23
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It looks like the power consumption according to Ford is 0.4-1.0 kilowatt/hour. At 120 VAC that equates to somewhere between 3.5-8.5 amps. So a 10 amp (1200 watt) timer capacity would be enough. If it's an outside plug, then protect the timer from the weather.

The info is on pages 180-185 or around there.
At some point in time I’d love to know what you have done in your life. I say that in a good way!
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
At some point in time I’d love to know what you have done in your life. I say that in a good way!
I was raised on a 40 acre share-cropper farm, walked behind Sally (our mule) on Saturday mornings. Watching horse flies crawl across her butt was my "Saturday morning cartoons". When I was about 12, we finally got electricity, indoor plumbing and an old JD tractor, I learned to drive it between the butterbean rows and hated milking cows at 4AM and 4PM daily, 365 days a year. When I graduated from high school, I joined the Air Force to avoid the Army draft. I started out in electronics in the Air Force, mainly missile guidance, taught solid state electronics theory at Lowry in Denver for a few years, earned my BS in electrical engineering, worked on the flightline in a fighter/interceptor outfit, ran the OMS shops (sheet metal, engine, hydraulics, corrosion control/paint, etc), when I retired from USAF I worked for Boeing for a couple of years in Quality Assurance, certifying airworthiness on the KC 135 tankers that were sent back to Boeing for major modifications. I was tired of airplanes, so I went to nursing school, became an RN, worked in general and cardiac surgery for years, went back to school, got my Masters and PhD in nursing and was a nurse practitioner in general practice for about 15 years, the last 10 with the VA where I cared for 1500 veterans ranging from about 20 to well over 90 with 3 that were older than 100. During my USAF time in Denver, I did "part time" RV repair and wound up owning an RV repair shop with consignment RV's for sale. Once I retired from the Air Force, I continued flying privately, owned my airplanes, considered going into the crop dusting business with one of my uncles, but never got up the courage to "strafe ants" for a living. Now that I'm retired, I fly occasionally, but no longer own my own aircraft, although if my DW would let me, I'd buy a fully aerobatic ultra-light for fun when I'm not "flying the Cougar or the Slingshot"....

I suppose you could say that after 70 years of "learning and doing" I'm a "jack of many trades and a master of one (nursing)"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #25
Chris P

John ! YOU DA MAN! THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE AND WHAT YOU DO.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #26
sandy43

JRTJH, Wow. It's obvious you've been around the block awhile, had no idea about your education, very impressive. I always read your post and thank's for addressing mine. Your a real blessing to this forum, Many Thanks.

P.S. I'm just an Old Aggie

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #27
Fishsizzle

Thanks John. That was inspiring For all those who think that the “American Dream” is just a dream and you are stuck, learn from people like John. Anyone can be self made, they just have to believe in themselves and DO! Don’t wait for a hand out. Don’t like your situation,? Then change it. Hard work will always get you where you want to be.

Thanks again
Old 02-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #28
notanlines

Fish says "Hard work will always get you where you want to be." That says it all. I believe throwing in goals helps keep that hard work headed in the right direction.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:44 AM   #29
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Fish says "Hard work will always get you where you want to be." That says it all. I believe throwing in goals helps keep that hard work headed in the right direction.
Agree, even if the goal is “just so I’m not here doing what I’m doing”
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #30
sgrol

Took my 17 F350 in for block heater warranty work by the local dealer. Desk jockey came out, looked around the front end and then declared I don't have a heater so no worries. Got home and looked at my window sticker and it was listed as an option. I went out and looked around and found the plug and cord. You know darn well that all the cords and plugs are in the same place on every truck model year. Another reason I NEVER take my truck to dealer for anything other than warranty work.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #31
Chris P

Its amazing how lazy they can be. All he had to do was put your vin # in the computer or better yet ask someone else there for help.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #32
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was raised on a 40 acre share-cropper farm, walked behind Sally (our mule) on Saturday mornings. Watching horse flies crawl across her butt was my "Saturday morning cartoons". When I was about 12, we finally got electricity, indoor plumbing and an old JD tractor, I learned to drive it between the butterbean rows and hated milking cows at 4AM and 4PM daily, 365 days a year. When I graduated from high school, I joined the Air Force to avoid the Army draft. I started out in electronics in the Air Force, mainly missile guidance, taught solid state electronics theory at Lowry in Denver for a few years, earned my BS in electrical engineering, worked on the flightline in a fighter/interceptor outfit, ran the OMS shops (sheet metal, engine, hydraulics, corrosion control/paint, etc), when I retired from USAF I worked for Boeing for a couple of years in Quality Assurance, certifying airworthiness on the KC 135 tankers that were sent back to Boeing for major modifications. I was tired of airplanes, so I went to nursing school, became an RN, worked in general and cardiac surgery for years, went back to school, got my Masters and PhD in nursing and was a nurse practitioner in general practice for about 15 years, the last 10 with the VA where I cared for 1500 veterans ranging from about 20 to well over 90 with 3 that were older than 100. During my USAF time in Denver, I did "part time" RV repair and wound up owning an RV repair shop with consignment RV's for sale. Once I retired from the Air Force, I continued flying privately, owned my airplanes, considered going into the crop dusting business with one of my uncles, but never got up the courage to "strafe ants" for a living. Now that I'm retired, I fly occasionally, but no longer own my own aircraft, although if my DW would let me, I'd buy a fully aerobatic ultra-light for fun when I'm not "flying the Cougar or the Slingshot"....

I suppose you could say that after 70 years of "learning and doing" I'm a "jack of many trades and a master of one (nursing)"
John, thank you for taking the time to post a little about yourself. You've been a busy man for a lot of years. I've had the feeling, ever since I joined this forum that you were quite knowledgeable about electrical things, because of the answers that you've posted. I had no idea about your other skills and achievements...and all I can say is Wow, you are a man of many talents. Thanks again for sharing.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
Genek

My 2018 F350 states that the block heater is not needed above 0 degrees. Plus it is noted that there is no thermostat to control the temp of the bloc...therefore, if you put it in at higher temps it does not have a thermostat to control the max temp.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #34
jimborokz

Had trouble starting one morning on my 17. Think the temp was around 0. It would crank ok and fire, it just would stay running. Had a heck of a time finding the plug for the heater. By the time I found it, it had warmed up enough to start on it's own. I have since found the right solution--stay south in the winter...
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #35
NHcamper

I have an F-350 6.7 diesel up here in cold NH it is a 2013. I have never plugged it in. It could sit idle in my garage for weeks on end in the coldest weather -20 and start like it was summer. Never an issue. I just wait until the glow plug light goes out and it starts within 2-3 seconds.
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #36
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Isn't it more about the fuel turning to jelly??
No, block heaters warm up the coolant and engine. Plus in a diesel it helps heat the cylinder which is important for combustion.

Fuel can gel in the filter or tank which is separate areas not affected by block heaters
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #37
Boogi_man

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel. Last January, 2018, camping the the Kansas City area. Temperature dropped to single digits for a week straight. My fuel gelled a couple of days into the stay. Mechanic said they get flooded with gelled fuel issues every year. All it takes is adding a fuel additive each fill up while extremely cold to prevent the gelling.
Boogi_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #38
msp2jxr

I have a 2015 6.7 and it started at 15 below with no problem and that was when it was still new with only a few thousand miles on it.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #39
Thundershorts

I have a 2016 6.7 that I usually plug in when the temperature is around 0. A few weeks ago it was -25 to -30 all weekend, it started Monday but it turned over slowly. It was plugged in, but I found out Monday night the block heater wasn’t working. It only has 35,000 miles on it. The block heater was replaced the next week under warranty. As long as the batteries are good, I found the glow plugs will heat it up enough. I still prefer to plug in.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

My diesel tractor sits in an unheated pole barn and doesn't have a block heater. I use a small magnetic heater on the transmission (to warm the hydraulic fluid) and just double click the glow plugs (turn the ignition on, when the glow plug light goes out, turn the ignition off/on and start when the glow plug lamp goes out the second time). I've never had an issue with the tractor starting, but when it's super cold the hydraulic fluid is like thick honey and the pump just won't/can't push the fluid through fast enough. Once warmed up, it runs great.

I use a KATZ 200 watt magnetic heater and attach it to the bottom of the transmission rear axle. It keeps the hydraulic fluid "thin enough to flow through the pump" and through the oil cooler in front of the radiator.

I've never had a problem with diesel engines starting as long as the battery is fully charged, the glow plugs are working and the fuel isn't gelled.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS