Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Campitupcouger
Junior Member
 
Campitupcouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: MN
Posts: 6
2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS Winterize

I have a 2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS and would like to Winterize it. When I purchased it this spring, it came winterized. I’m not sure how they did it as there is no valve from what I can see to put the antifreeze in off the waterpump. Does anyone have any ideas as to the type of valve or best method to get antifreeze into the system? I have seen many a video but nothing specific for my trailer. Appreciate any help.
Campitupcouger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:55 AM   #2
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico, TX
Posts: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campitupcouger View Post
I have a 2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS and would like to Winterize it. When I purchased it this spring, it came winterized. Iím not sure how they did it as there is no valve from what I can see to put the antifreeze in off the waterpump. Does anyone have any ideas as to the type of valve or best method to get antifreeze into the system? I have seen many a video but nothing specific for my trailer. Appreciate any help.

Answers to your questions will have more context if you go to the UserCP at top/left of each page and under is the Signature; make a signature with year, make and model of your camper as well as tow vehicle.


Winterizing in one location can take a different strategy than another. I live in South Texas so I put an air chuck adapter on my fresh water inlet and blow out the lines and dump RV antifreeze into P traps. I also drain my water heater and then shut the bypass to ensure no water gets in until I take the trailer out of winterization mode.


The process for winterizing WITH antifreeze is a bit different so watch this youtube video and it will explain things fairly well. You will most likely have low point drains WITH valves under the trailer but the rest pretty much applies.


__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Campitupcouger
Junior Member
 
Campitupcouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: MN
Posts: 6
Appreciate the feedback on the signature and the video as well. All I need to do now is get a valve, install it and run through the motions. This will be my first time but I know my camper pretty well now and it should be pretty straight forward. Have a great fall!
__________________
Campitupcougar
2021 6.2L GMC Sierra X31
2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS
Campitupcouger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 7,990
Can you post z picture of your water pump? On mine the line to put in the antifreeze jug is shoved into the hole jn the floor where the other lines go thru.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
Campitupcouger
Junior Member
 
Campitupcouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: MN
Posts: 6
I’ll be camping this weekend and will grab a few photos. Do you blow out your water lines with compressed air when winterizing? I have heard of some that do and some that don’t.
__________________
Campitupcougar
2021 6.2L GMC Sierra X31
2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS
Campitupcouger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campitupcouger View Post
Iíll be camping this weekend and will grab a few photos. Do you blow out your water lines with compressed air when winterizing? I have heard of some that do and some that donít.
If you're asking me yes. I use an air compressor then follow it up with RV antifreeze.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:12 AM   #7
Falcon67
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Merkel
Posts: 57
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or similar
__________________
Keystone 2021 Springdale 220RD
Tow - 2020 F-350 DRW 7.3L / 2004 F-150 5.4L
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 22,334
Here's the one I use. https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...17CM0134&psc=1 When I bought mine it was about $3.

If attached to the city water inlet, it puts a strain on the plastic fitting on the trailer, so I use my 90 degree adapter (the same one I use when I connect the city water hose to the trailer). That way the compressor hose "hangs straight down" from the trailer city water fitting.

I only use about 40 PSI to blow out the plumbing lines. More pressure may work faster, but all those plastic fittings on the PEX lines will thank you for not damaging them with higher pressure than needed.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Faucet Blow Out Adapter.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	36407  
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
linux3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western NY
Posts: 479
Wait, wait. You live in MN meaning Minnesota?
I don't think blowing out the lines is good for your weather.
There are lots of good reviews around here for winterizing but you have to consider the climate of the poster.

My suggestion and I do skip parts because there are some really good reviews here.
My main point is getting the adapter to pump the antifreeze and sources.
Find your water pump. Easy way to do this is to run it and listen for the noise. Usually you have to remove a panel to see it.
OK, what fitting do you have on the supply side of the pump? It's the hose that comes from the fresh water tank.
Look at the brand of pump. I have a FlowJet and I bought this adapter. I went to Home Deport and bought 3 feet of clear hose that fits the adapter.
Buy 3 gallons of the pink stuff. In my area Walmart is the cheapest.
Open all faucets and drain everything including the water heater tank.
Set the bypass on the water heater to bypass. Close all the faucets and drains.
Install adapter, stick the hose in a gallon of pink stuff and yada, yada.
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-Port-D...56952058&psc=1
__________________
#####################
Rob
Passport 195RB
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Wait, wait. You live in MN meaning Minnesota?
I don't think blowing out the lines is good for your weather.
There are lots of good reviews around here for winterizing but you have to consider the climate of the poster.

My suggestion and I do skip parts because there are some really good reviews here.
My main point is getting the adapter to pump the antifreeze and sources.
Find your water pump. Easy way to do this is to run it and listen for the noise. Usually you have to remove a panel to see it.
OK, what fitting do you have on the supply side of the pump? It's the hose that comes from the fresh water tank.
Look at the brand of pump. I have a FlowJet and I bought this adapter. I went to Home Deport and bought 3 feet of clear hose that fits the adapter.
Buy 3 gallons of the pink stuff. In my area Walmart is the cheapest.
Open all faucets and drain everything including the water heater tank.
Set the bypass on the water heater to bypass. Close all the faucets and drains.
Install adapter, stick the hose in a gallon of pink stuff and yada, yada.
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-Port-D...56952058&psc=1
I do the same as you, but IMO, if there is any water in the plumbing lines, that water will dilute the antifreeze, raising its "freeze point". On the "good to 50 below" antifreeze I use, a 50/50 dilution is only good to 10F. That's 60 degrees "less protection".... How much water is in the plumbing? How long should you let it run to push that water out of the lines? Are you sure all/most of the water is gone or if diluted, how much ????

All those questions, at least for me, are "answered by removing as much water as possible before filling the lines with antifreeze".....

So, in the "not so frigid temperatures of -30F," I do as much "positive protection" as I can, by keeping the antifreeze as undiluted as I can.

In south Louisiana, I sometimes used compressed air, most times just opened the low point drains but a gallon of antifreeze would last me 2 or 3 years... Up here, not so much.... YMMV
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
linux3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western NY
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I do the same as you, but IMO, if there is any water in the plumbing lines, that water will dilute the antifreeze, raising its "freeze point". On the "good to 50 below" antifreeze I use, a 50/50 dilution is only good to 10F. That's 60 degrees "less protection".... How much water is in the plumbing? How long should you let it run to push that water out of the lines? Are you sure all/most of the water is gone or if diluted, how much ????
I run the faucets until I get pure pink and no sputtering.
I don't dump extra in the traps because I run it long enough to fill them. Maybe it's a waste but we get some winters when a weeks high will be 0. Not often but it happens.
__________________
#####################
Rob
Passport 195RB
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #12
Cimriver
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Montrose
Posts: 22
I also have a 2021 Cougar 22RBS. On the drivers side of the bed you will notice an additional carpet covered compartment that is not on the passengers side. Inside this compartment is the water pump. The carpeted lid will pull up and expose the pump and associated plumbing. The manufacturer does not install a winterizing kit, but they are available online. Bought mine on Amazon.

You will also need to rotate the hot water bypass valve to prevent the rv antifreeze from getting into the hot water heater. Remove the panel which is on the left side of the door next to the power center. Should be two screws. Behind the panel you will see the hot water heater and on the back side of it towards the top you will find the bypass valve. As long as you are a contortionist you should be able rotate the valve a quarter turn bypassing the hot water heater.

Don't forget to drain the hot water heater.
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
Cimriver
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Montrose
Posts: 22
Here is the winterizing kit I installed on my 22RBS.

Camco 36543 Pump Converter Winterizing Kit (for RV and Trailer Winterization) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4SMW28...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
linux3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western NY
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimriver View Post
Here is the winterizing kit I installed on my 22RBS.

Camco 36543 Pump Converter Winterizing Kit (for RV and Trailer Winterization) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4SMW28...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Oh, OK so you go through the city water inlet rather than the pump.
Interesting.
__________________
#####################
Rob
Passport 195RB
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #15
Cimriver
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Montrose
Posts: 22
Basically it connects to the input side of the pump. The valve then switches between the input from the fresh water tank and the hose sucking antifreeze from the bottle.
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #16
Todd Burton
Junior Member
 
Todd Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 14
You can buy those winterizing kits at Menards also, I use the outside shower hookup and connect that to the city water, works good.
Todd Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cougar, keystone, winter, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.