Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
mikec557

Suggested fuse/breaker size given an inverter wattage

I'm going to install an inverter into a newly acquired rv. I think on my last rv I may have gone overkill and upsized the inverter to a size far greater than I needed or would have a use for. The realistic goal of use is this: cpap, electric mattress pad, TV and blu-ray player. I guess in theory all three/four may be on at once, but that is extremely unlikely. I want to use an inverter with automatic power transfer because three outlets in the couch are already wired to a loop of romex in the pass through. The three outlets are all on one breaker in the main breaker/fuse box. If I put an inverter with APT at that loop of romex, the three outlets will always be powered whether on shore power or when the inverter is on.

All that said, I would ask what size fuse/breaker should I use given a 600 watt inverter APT, a 1000 watt inverter APT, or a 1500 watt inverter APT?

I can just about guarantee I won't be putting in a 1500 watt inverter but I thought I should add it to the question because one of the three outlets is in the kitchen. The inverter will be located approximately 4-5 feet from the batteries, two Battleborn 100ah lithiums.

Suggestions on the wire gauge size for each would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What ever inverter you install should include wire size from batteries to inverter based on length. IMO you can’t get too large so going with 2/00 should be good. The 2000W inverters I have installed used a 500A fuse, and once again the inverter should have specific instructions for fuse rating.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, inverter