Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2023, 08:41 AM   #21
Chief204

Surprised that the dealer actually has an opening in a couple weeks. I'm torn because I think I can repair it myself and trust my skills but it is under warranty and I like accountability.
Chief204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:24 PM   #22
Chief204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief204 View Post
Anyone ever have this problem? Found during our first time out.
Cable bracket is pulling away, bottom screws are all stripped out.
I took it to the dealer, which is about 80 miles away. They called and said everything is fixed. So I get home and bring the slide out and they didn't even try to fix it. I ready the service notes and they worked on brackets for the pulley, which may have been a problem but it wasn't this problem. They were also supposed to fix a leak and instead of trying to find it they caulked the shower where it was not done properly at the factory. Again, may have been a problem but not the one I was complaining about. I think I fixed that leak though as the hot water connection to the bathroom sink was leaking just enough allow the water to track all the way down the line and drip underneath the shower where it pooled up enough to show on the floor and the trim piece in front of the shower.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:53 AM   #23
Canonman

After several warranty issues dealing with Camping World I can honestly say that you have no more than a 50/50 chance that the actual person working on your "easy problem" re the cable slide bracket, has much experience not to mention an RV Tech certification. I'd suggest finding a local Mobile RV Repair service. These guys do have lots of experience, usually own their own business and come to you so you can point out the issues directly with the guy doing the work. Many are able to do warranty work to be paid by Keystone. The added benefit is they come to you and you can verify the work is completed to your satisfaction before an 80 mile drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1280-Pano-8.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	44602  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:56 AM   #24
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
After several warranty issues dealing with Camping World I can honestly say that you have no more than a 50/50 chance that the actual person working on your "easy problem" re the cable slide bracket, has much experience not to mention an RV Tech certification. I'd suggest finding a local Mobile RV Repair service. These guys do have lots of experience, usually own their own business and come to you so you can point out the issues directly with the guy doing the work. Many are able to do warranty work to be paid by Keystone. The added benefit is they come to you and you can verify the work is completed to your satisfaction before an 80 mile drive.

I'll second that.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:36 PM   #25
Chief204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I’ll check into a mobile tech, not sure if we have any nearby. Thanks for the great advice.
Old 07-20-2023, 03:28 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I took it to the dealer, which is about 80 miles away. They called and said everything is fixed. So I get home and bring the slide out and they didn't even try to fix it. I ready the service notes and they worked on brackets for the pulley, which may have been a problem but it wasn't this problem. They were also supposed to fix a leak and instead of trying to find it they caulked the shower where it was not done properly at the factory. Again, may have been a problem but not the one I was complaining about. I think I fixed that leak though as the hot water connection to the bathroom sink was leaking just enough allow the water to track all the way down the line and drip underneath the shower where it pooled up enough to show on the floor and the trim piece in front of the shower.
Just curious, why didn't you do that at the dealer before taking it home?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #27
Chief204

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just curious, why didn't you do that at the dealer before taking it home?
I ask myself the same question. I got too excited to bring it home and put too much faith in the dealer service.
I’ll say it, I’m an idiot.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I ask myself the same question. I got too excited to bring it home and put too much faith in the dealer service.
I’ll say it, I’m an idiot.
Idiot is a strong word, especially since many of us have done that exact same thing. Typically, happens once and then you figure out what "trust but verify" means.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #29
Chief204

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Idiot is a strong word, especially since many of us have done that exact same thing. Typically, happens once and then you figure out what "trust but verify" means.
Given my age and experience I should have known better, especially since I was a maintenance tech on telecommunications equipment most of my military career.
I scheduled another appointment and emailed marked up pictures so they should get it right this time.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:56 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Given my age and experience I should have known better, especially since I was a maintenance tech on telecommunications equipment most of my military career.
I scheduled another appointment and emailed marked up pictures so they should get it right this time.
What you tell the service writer and what he/she puts on the work order may be "night and day different"... As an example, you tell the SW that the shower faucet leaks at the hot water stem when the faucet is turned on but not when it is turned off.... He/she documents: "Shower leaks"...

Now, the "wrench turner" looks at the work order, goes to check the shower and finds a water stain on the outside of the glass enclosure, reseals the "shower leak" and moves on to the next problem....

If I were you, now that you've mailed the photos to the service writer, make a copy of them and tape the photos to the "problem area" inside the trailer so the "wrench turner" knows EXACTLY what you see as a problem, not what the service writer put on paper.....

In way too many situations, customers speak one language, the SW speaks another language and the "wrench turner" doesn't have a clue what either is saying in a language he doesn't understand......

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:36 PM   #31
Chief204

Good advice, thanks.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech, I can tell you that “generic” statements are a pet peeve. Factory only allots a set amount of time for a repair/ diagnosis and if you spend all that time trying to decifer what was meant it’s not good for either side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:05 AM   #33
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

"In way too many situations, customers speak one language, the SW speaks another language and the "wrench turner" doesn't have a clue what either is saying in a language he doesn't understand"

John, you just described my relationship with my DW to a tee.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:48 PM   #34
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As a tech, I can tell you that “generic” statements are a pet peeve. Factory only allots a set amount of time for a repair/ diagnosis and if you spend all that time trying to decifer what was meant it’s not good for either side.
So when the tech fixes something that either wasn’t broken/bad and not what was told to the SW by the owner, Keystone then pays for a warranty job that really didn’t exist or wasn’t an issue? Believe me, I’m not defending Keystone or CW here, just seeing what is wasted time and money to all parties involved.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
So when the tech fixes something that either wasn’t broken/bad and not what was told to the SW by the owner, Keystone then pays for a warranty job that really didn’t exist or wasn’t an issue? Believe me, I’m not defending Keystone or CW here, just seeing what is wasted time and money to all parties involved.
If a tech replaces a “failed” part, it is usually required that it be returned to the factory for payment. If the factory determines that the part wasn’t faulty, payment is denied.

If the tech determines that the “warranty complaint” doesn’t exist the tech will document the testing and the owner has to pay for the time spent.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:28 AM   #36
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If a tech replaces a “failed” part, it is usually required that it be returned to the factory for payment. If the factory determines that the part wasn’t faulty, payment is denied.

If the tech determines that the “warranty complaint” doesn’t exist the tech will document the testing and the owner has to pay for the time spent.
Gotcha. Thanks for making this clear to me.

Tags
cable, rack, slide