Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
mcandsim

Women Rvrs

Are there any women only---- here? As yu know I posted a month ago being a new owner first timer. When I ask a question usually I don't know what I'm talking bout. The men answer me of course and I don't think they know what to make of my questions-honestly I don't either as this is all new to me but...I will learn as I go men have patience with me as I ask questions and will try not to bother yu much as most questions and answers can be found on this forum.
mcandsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Not a problem ..... I have one of you at home.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
dvn/ajn

Welcome to the forum enjoy this place and your adventures in your camper.
16K SuperGlide
dvn/ajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
LZScout

I have one of you at home too. I will personally promise to pass on any questions you have to her. She's going to follow me into retirement soon so I can act as messenger until she has time to follow the forum.

Sent from my iPhone

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Carmen D

Welcome to the Forum mcandsim, I (female) am usually the one checking out the forums and I guess I missed your original post. I try to learn everything my husband knows incase there is an emergency while we are on the road. I can handle driving, un-hooking, setting up, breaking down and hooking up. I'll pay closer attention, hopefully I'll be able to answer some of your questions. I know the guys do a better job, but I try. Have a great Sunday.
Texas Hill Country
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I love my DW dearly (really) and we've been married for 45 years, so I've learned to "adapt" to her specialized communications language, but at times it does prove difficult to communicate.

With her, I know what "that one over there" means, I can help by "turn it just a little, no not that way, the other way" "Have you seen the adjuster for that big thing behind the pole barn?" I can often find, "that funny looking one that fits the whatamacallit" and even "You know, the one I had the other day, have you seen it"

Unfortunately, in my experience, my sister in law's special language isn't the same as my DW's, so I'm guessing yours is probably "similar but different" as well.

Ask away, if we can't figure out what you're looking for, maybe our DW's can help us understand, either individually or collectively......

Even though you're no longer a "new member" we're still happy to have you join our ranks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
mcandsim

I feel the warmth already. So far I bought mine to park at the water but if I find a man it will go on the road or I'll buy another one newer. In the mean time I'm it. Oh and I was married. I have 3 questions: should I take the battery out for the winter? Need a cover for the ac unit- on roof for winter bought a soft cover and it blew off and left.....new hard covers are $200.00 don't want to put that out for a 2002-so could I cover it with a tarp and bungee? Last question-I call it a "knuckle", it's the part that covers what's underneath it, then attaches to pole and to the canopy. Right side [was told when I bought it canopy was open caught in the win and broke that off] I was told I had to buy the poles in pairs. I don't see why I need the whole pole yes this attaches at top with this knuckle must be spring underneath it, the knuckle I mean?
Travel'R Arms Adj Pitch White

Travel'R Arms Adj Pitch White

Trying to paste a picture here but it won't to show yu at the top of the pole is this covering or I call it a knuckle
Old 10-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
mcandsim

Someone send me your email pls. I have the picture there but won't paste here
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Go here and follow the steps. It's easy to post pictures and I can guarantee you'll need to know how, if not this time, then next time

Try this procedure:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7518

To answer your other questions:

Yes, you need to remove the battery and store it inside where it will be protected from freezing. If you leave it on the RV in Nova Scotia, it will discharge completley and freeze. You'll need to buy a new one next spring.

As for covers, there are some who advocate covering stored RV's and there are some who say it is more damaging to cover it than to leave it uncovered. Somewhere in the middle (I think) is the "real answer".... Most don't cover their RV. They clean it well, winterize it, remove the battery, make sure all windows and vents are closed and "lock it up" for the winter. A few people leave vents open, but realistically, in NS, as soon as you get a foot of snow on the roof, any open vent would be "closed by the snow/ice" and you stand the chance that spring melt may allow (or force) water into the open vent during the warmer days. I think for you, it would be best to just leave them closed to be sure.

If you store it nearby, you may want to check on it periodically. Make sure there's no rodent damage, no water accumulation, no condensation forming, etc..... Otherwise, it's just a "waiting game" until spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandsim View Post
Need a cover for the ac unit- on roof for winter bought a soft cover and it blew off and left.....new hard covers are $200.00 don't want to put that out for a 2002-so could I cover it with a tarp and bungee?
If you are talking about the shroud or cover over the roof A/C, it should have a proper cover for it. If there is no cover on it now and you are storing your RV over the winter and not using it, a strong, waterproof tarp will probably do. Just make sure it is secure so that the A/C "innards" are not exposed to the elements.

I wouldn't be driving down the road with just a tarp over the A/C and no permanent, hard-shelled cap. Also, you shouldn't be operating the A/C with a tarp which has been draped over the A/C and secured by wrapping a rope or line around it. If you do, any necessary venting will be sealed off.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
theeyres

Interesting...how few women post on this forum. I also belong to the Escapee's Forum, which is mostly full-timers (or former full-timers) and there are many woman posters and many full-time women, without men attached.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
mcandsim

Thank yu each and every one. Another question should the TV's and stereo come out for the winter yes storing rv outside in ns weather.
Earl thanks for the info
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Dubedubedo

Smile Women Rvrs

Hi, I haven't gotten up the courage to drive. (Fifth Wheel, Cougar 26SAB). Do assist in most other things. You go girl!
Dubedubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandsim View Post
Thank yu each and every one. Another question should the TV's and stereo come out for the winter yes storing rv outside in ns weather.
Earl thanks for the info
If you have a flat screen, yes, take it out for the winter. They do not like extreme cold or heat. Not sure about the stereo, you guys get much colder then we do.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
If you have a flat screen, yes, take it out for the winter. They do not like extreme cold or heat. Not sure about the stereo, you guys get much colder then we do.
We've never pulled the stereo and have survived numerous below zero winters. We were told this is ok as long as you do NOT turn it on in sub-zero temps.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
mcandsim

Thanks everyone no they are all old so I'll leave them there I will take the battery out only Have to learn how to post a picture as top mechanical part broken on right side canopy pole at top. Need to know what it is so I can get a new one